This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: turning your DSM bov into a bpv

first i would like to say that when i had mine set up like a bov i had crappy idle, the gasmileage went from 28 mph to 19 mph, it would randomly stall and just generally ran like crap. so i decided to fix it

in order to make it a bypass valve (recirculated) you need the following:
    sockets (you will need an 8 mm, a 10 and a 12mm)
    ratchet/ you may need an extention. its always good to have one just in case
    pliers
    a T and a piece of hose that will connect into said T (th hose i used is actually the hose for a PCV from a 2nd gen) and the T i got from the person i bought my boost gauge off of.
    a dsm bov with pipe
    angle grinder if the pipe is the stock length
    2 hose clamps with a range of 3/4" - 1 3/4" (costs about 2 dollars)
    a rubber hose. i went to autozone and looked at some and found which one looked the best. It turned out being a radiator hose (part number: S-460)

the radiator hose

to begin use the angle grinder and cut the edges of the bov pipe. Watch yourself, sparks hurt heres what mine looked like when i was done: BOV of love also, i switched the bov around, takes a 12 mm

next you want to remove the stock bypass valve. there is 2 10mm bolts/clamps holding it onto the hose. Undo those,a nd remove the hose connected to the nipple on the bpv. Remove the bpv from the pipe connected to the turbo.

next you want to remove the rubber hose connecting to the top part of the turbo (its the hose you had to disconnect from the bpv) Next remove the small hose that the bottom of the bpv goes to. it looks like this once that is removed you should be looking at this area right here

now for the fun part! take this and stick into this hose . put a clamp onto the end of it,a nd reconnect it to where it originally went. make sure its tight! next you want to T the small hose that connected to the nipple of the stock bpv. when i finished it was like this and yes that is the end of a pen cap that i used to block it off with (incase you didnt know, this is me )
    now put the dsm bov into the spot that the stock bpv was, connect the small hose to the nipple of hte bov, and connect our curved hose to the big part of the bov, and put a clamp on it.

when finished it should look like this:
    http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~cg273604/...m/IMG_0311.JPG

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS TIGHT loose hoses do NOT like 8+ psi

questions? feel free to PM or IM me

over all im happy that i got my gas mileage back, the sound is not as notacable as with the blow off valve set up, but its louder than stock, and its worth it to me.

28 mpg, no sputter, no stalling >>>>> the pssssht sound, 19ish mpg, sputtering and stalling

if you find typos/problems/confusions...let me know so i can edit the original post
    Last edited by nirvana7737; October 3, 2006, 07:20 AM.
    09 VW Rabbit
    89 Ford Probe GT sold
    03 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit

Nice work. Stickied!

Now we'll see how people react to it and what types of questions come about.
    Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.
    1G FAQ - A MUST READ for 1G's! ~ 1990 PGL = WRECKED! & Sold! ~ 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
    "Let me hear you make decisions without your television."

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Comment

when i go to work tomorrow, ill measure to see what size that T is BTW

i feel so proud :tear:
      09 VW Rabbit
      89 Ford Probe GT sold
      03 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit

Comment

another way....

this might help to this a little bit....when I recirculated mine, I just used 1ft heater hose, copper reducer from heater hose to bypass inlet, and a copper 90 between the hose and the outlet of the bpv. And of course the necessary clamps. no leaks, no kinks. Hope this helps!
        Last edited by 91turbo'dgt; September 15, 2005, 07:11 PM.

Comment

The DSM bypass valve is a bypass valve to begin with, not a blow off valve contrary to what ricers do with it.

Back to the DSM, I will never use one with the stock turbo ever again. I blew a turbo with one, never thought that it could've been the culprit, rebuilt the turbo and had the same effect on a previously fine turbo.

I took it off right away and the compressor surge went away, this turbo has been working fine ever since.

I guess you never went through this huh?:
          http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124122

It's even got video.

Comment

Ummm surge is not created by backflow in your compressor housing. Sure thats bad but its not called compressor surge.

On that note, I think you had a problem with your dsm bov altogether and it wasnt functioning correctly. If the valve opens and releases the air back into the intake stream it can never hurt it. I had turbine failure because the vaccum hose that opens the BOV melted and it leaked. So the BOV never openned and the backpressure on the compressor causes the bushings to fail. So my guess is that yours never was working 100% properly. If your boosting more than 6psi and it blows off the amount of air pushed back into your compressor intake isnt even half the CFM that its already pulling from naturally spinning.
            Dan Brown - 1995 Turbo PGT ~ SOLD ~
            287whp & 307lb-ft. @ 10.5psi & 12* Timing

Comment

The valve was fine and was checked. The problem is that the DSM bypass needs more vacuum than the stock bypass needs to open. Our stock bypass valve is open from 8.5 inHg and is completely open at 15.7 inHg. The DSM bypass doesn't even start opening until 17 inHg and is completely open at 25 inHg, or more vacuum than our car see's unless you abruptly let off the throttle at high speed. Normally while cruising, you sit at around 8-10 inHg. If you don't believe me then look for yourself. Listen for yourself. If you understand the concept of the bypass valve then you'd realize that the stock bypass valve is open at idle, open from 8.5 inHg back, and doesn't close until it see's 8.5 inHg towards positive boost pressure.

There is nothing wrong with my valve, more something is wrong with you guys taking things at face value without doing any factual testing yourselves.

It doesn't matter how much positive boost pressure opens the DSM with vacuum, it opens too late and you get compressor surge from the backed up boost pressure when the throttle plates close.
              Last edited by Impound6; September 15, 2005, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Im not gonna argu here because Ive done the homework years ago. YOU do homework, do you know what compressor surge is?? Has nothing to do with backpressure against the compressor wheel or housing. And yes I know ALL ABOUT the dsm bov openning at idle. In a nuttshell, the problem is the compressors are too small and only works PERFECT with the wimpy stock bypass. There is no reason a DSM bov would cause compressor surge, if yours is crushed then maybe I could see it being a problem due to idle speed/vaccum. But if its the bone stock bypass off the first gen DSM it shouldnt cause turbine failure PERIOD! Dont believe me? I know 3 people in my local probe/mx6 group that have had this bov on their car for over 2 years to date and never replaced their OEM turbo that came on the cars or had turbine problems. The setup wasnt working on your car period, doesnt mean it cant be made to work.
                Dan Brown - 1995 Turbo PGT ~ SOLD ~
                287whp & 307lb-ft. @ 10.5psi & 12* Timing

Comment

Working...
                X