No announcement yet.

Colt cams feeler for kl 2.5 liter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, if you want to keep your car more on the "streetable side" then id recommend going with a different grind than the all out 288 race grind..
    1995 turbocharged pgt with countless mods.. check it out here
    http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602
    1993 turbocharged pgt daily driver check it out here..
    http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602/73905

Comment

Who here has interprep valve springs with colt cams installed right now?
      Me

Triflow turbo custom. It wasn't the typical triflow turbo grind. I only have 1000km on them from the last BB cuz i just got them in. I am still NA and have taken only one good hard run on the freeway and i am pretty sure it pulls harder (Butt Dyno)

Comment

Something I'd like to know, should the Tri-Flows require a different spring for each intake lobe? Considering that one is a much more aggressive profile, I would think that would need more seat pressure to maintain contact with the cam.
        Ryan
        '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
        SMF Prep:
        MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

IMO no but, that's just from my own research and thought. If the guys running 288s aren't having problems with valve float then why would someone with only 218s or so have issues? I would still suggest upgrading to an Interprep setup though.
          94 Mazda MX6 - my first love. Cancer victim R.I.P.!
          93 Ford Probe - the 267,000 DD.
          93 Mazda MX6 - 'Jeralynn' ZE, LSD, JDM, Mazdaspeed
          00 Ford Expedition - 5.4 Eddie Bauer

Comment

288 is advertised, but it is 218 @ 0.050 lift

I dont see a need for diff spring rates. Ferrea or Interpreps should be good.

Comment

Were it a street car I wouldn't think twice, however they'll be run 20-40 mins at a time running 5-8k rpm, 4-5 times a day, 5-10 times a year, and I expect this engine to last a good long while.

Hopefully Geoff, and Alistair if he still works at Interprep can enlighten me.
              Ryan
              '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
              SMF Prep:
              MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

I wanna know if the tri-flows will be available in n/a and if so, what's the specs. This is the main reason I want in.
                I'm the 626 guy. DOWN FOR A REBUILD 11.8:1 comp build .020 pistons race cams MSPNP coming hopefully running by the end of the year check my YOUTUBE page

Comment

The Previous Bulk buy archive thread has the tri flow specs in post #1
                  Last edited by Mr.Jason; September 12, 2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Jason View Post
                    Me

Triflow turbo custom. It wasn't the typical triflow turbo grind. I only have 1000km on them from the last BB cuz i just got them in. I am still NA and have taken only one good hard run on the freeway and i am pretty sure it pulls harder (Butt Dyno)
                    Well i was just asking because geoff said he has never heard of interprep and doesnt know much about their springs so he didnt know if there would be issues with the interprep springs and his cams.. However, you and at least a handful of others are already running interprep springs with colt cams so it shouldnt be an issue at all.. I am running interprep springs but havent had a chance to install my tri flow turbo cams yet so i didnt know.. Thanks for clearing that up

Comment

Alistair claimed the IPT springs to be 50% heavier to me via email. Via phone i was told

seat pressure 80lb

single spring pressure @ 9.4mm lift 183lb

Quote from Alistair over a year ago to me.
                      There is a problem with the KLZE (Kl31) heads for high lift cams. The KL03 heads have .75 mm more distance before coil bind on the intake side (exhaust distance is the same). Our race cams are 9.4 mm lift which is just about coil bind on the KL31 heads with our regular race springs. We have used Kl31 heads with 9.4 mm lift just fine with the #890905 valve spring set. It is just easier to use the KL03 because of the extra .75 mm. If you want to use cams with up to 12 mm lift you will have to use our #906210 beehive spring set.
                      none of Colt cams are over 0.363" Lift and the above mentioned 9.4MM is 0.370"
                      Last edited by Mr.Jason; September 12, 2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Good info. Mr.jason. FWIW Ferrea valve springs have a seat pressure of 75lbs @ 33mm and an open pressure of 195lbs @ 23mm, max lift is equal to 13.5mm. Ferrea also recommends the use of their retainers and seats with their spring sets.
                        94 Mazda MX6 - my first love. Cancer victim R.I.P.!
                        93 Ford Probe - the 267,000 DD.
                        93 Mazda MX6 - 'Jeralynn' ZE, LSD, JDM, Mazdaspeed
                        00 Ford Expedition - 5.4 Eddie Bauer

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Jason View Post
                          Alistair claimed the IPT springs to be 50% heavier to me via email. Via phone i was told

seat pressure 80lb

single spring pressure @ 9.4mm lift 183lb

Quote from Alistair over a year ago to me.

none of Colt cams are over 0.363" Lift and the above mentioned 9.4MM is 0.370"

Yes thank you very much for sharing that info that was exactly what i was looking for..

Comment

Does interprep still make their valvetrain kits? And from the specs listed above about ferrea and interprep, they seem relatively close in comparison. Would they both be alright then?
                            <1997 PGT>\ Medium Alpine/Tan Leather\CF_Z Bushings, AWR F&R mm, AWR 19mm rear sway bar kit, eBay drilled & slotted brakes, shorty intake, <PUNCHED CAT>, Ngk plugs & wires,front strut bar

<2003 MSP> #1369\ Spicy Orange Mica/ AWR Rear Mount\JoeP MBC/20%\EBC Greenstuff

Comment

interprep does still sell stuff for our cars including the valve springs in question.. Ferrea should also work fine but will probrably be more costly

Comment

Originally posted by jasons96pgtze View Post

Who here has interprep valve springs with colt cams installed right now?
                                I just installed my interpreps, i'll let you know soon how high I can rev
                                1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                                1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                                2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                                2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                                1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Working...
                                X