2.5L KL Colt cam bulk buy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elli View Post
    I'm on the opposite end of y'all pushing for more time. I move at the end of march and all my resources are here
    Well i dunno how the stuff is organized, but if i where him i would love to get a stable supply and not get everything at once in the end of feb So i would ask if he could do yours early
    Mazda 626 GT - 2.5 V6 - KL31
    Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

The process works like an assembly line... they want as many in the shop at one time.

They un box them, mark them so each cam goes back to the original owner

they get cleaned, checked for damage, journals polished, checked for warpage, and cam straightened as needed.

all cams getting the same grind are grouped together, then setup machine to do intake cams of grind X... He then does every intake cam. Then setup for exhaust cam grind X.. then he does all the exhaust cams.

Move on to Grind Y, Rinse and repeat...

If your cams aren't in on time then there is extra setup time...

Comment

Ahh i see
        Actually, i had the "cams and crank" episode on "how its made" on the TV right now so i understand why its better do do a assembly line style setup
        Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

sure there is extra fees with paypal, but id be glad to cover the paypal fees. it'll be hard enough for me to ship cores out to them lol........ im definitely too lazy to go get a money order

Comment

I have a set of cams from my DE that I want to grind and put in my ZE. Will this be a direct swap? considering tolerances?
            The daily driver: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389595...t-hatchback-2d

Comment

yes you send them your old cams and they regrind them to whatever grind you want
              95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
              94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
              93 PGT red klde/mtx klg4 intake,wild orchid interior
              97&94&93 PGT gone
              DALE

Comment

Thats not really what I meant. I am talking about the journal tolerances between the cams. I know that with them being out of tolerance that is not good. Should I get the cam journals and caps checked? or is it safe for a direct swap after the regrind?

Comment

you can swap cams in to different heads. You can measure the cam journals to see if it is within manufacturer specs.

Never swap cam caps from different heads they are matched and machined on the head they came from. Heads that have no caps are basically worthless.

You can if you want, torque the caps down with no cams in and measure the bores with the proper tools and micrometers and compare the difference to the measured cam journal to find the clearance you have.

with all the HLA's removed the cams should spin freely.

Comment

Ok so what you are saying is to install the cams in with out the HLA's. They should spin freely, if not then there is a problem?

I really don't have the measuring tools to measure the cam journals on hand. I know that the cam caps cannot be swapped. I just didn't know how close the cam journals were machined originally to be matched.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Zepticon View Post
                      Well i dunno how the stuff is organized, but if i where him i would love to get a stable supply and not get everything at once in the end of feb So i would ask if he could do yours early
                      i spoke to geoff and he made a point that he has to use specific machining tools and that these cams were very particular, so i'm sure like mr. jason said, he'd like to spend as little time setting up and breaking down for these grinds as possible. he's a nice guy thou so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by DDDyloD View Post
                        Ok so what you are saying is to install the cams in with out the HLA's. They should spin freely, if not then there is a problem?

I really don't have the measuring tools to measure the cam journals on hand. I know that the cam caps cannot be swapped. I just didn't know how close the cam journals were machined originally to be matched.

Thanks for the info.
                        you need to do this with one cam in at a time to feel if they spin freely

i spoke to geoff and he made a point that he has to use specific machining tools and that these cams were very particular, so i'm sure like mr. jason said, he'd like to spend as little time setting up and breaking down for these grinds as possible. he's a nice guy thou so who knows.
                        He is very nice i have dealt with him in person on more than one occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Elli View Post
                          Yeah, "How-its-made" on discovery channel taught me how its done just a few hours after i had posted. But as you say, he seems like a nice guy so if you ask him he might be able to cut you a deal for faster grinding
                          Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

I'm seriously confused on the difference between the turbo and the tri flo cams. I tried to do a search between the two and the information was minimal. Does anyone mind explaining the difference or showing me a link that explains? I would love to get in on this BB.

1994 Ford Probe Gt
                            Ze. Kitted. Lowered. Turbo'ed. MSv3. Czt Tranny. Lsd. Shiny
                            2008 BMW 335I 2JZ German style looks stock but not
                            1995 Nissan 300zx With a fan symbol instead of a oil symbol

Comment

Originally posted by knightrider07 View Post
                              I'm seriously confused on the difference between the turbo and the tri flo cams. I tried to do a search between the two and the information was minimal. Does anyone mind explaining the difference or showing me a link that explains? I would love to get in on this BB.
                              The turbo cams have the same grind on all intake lobes, for that means all 12 intake valves open at the same time, and close at the same time.

The triflow cams have two different grinds on each pair of lobes, meaning that the valves for one cylinder doesn't open at the same time.

Not sure what the exact details are, but i think i read something that one of the lobes where a 210 grind, while the other was a 218 grind. All exhaust cams should be the same.
                              Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

you can get tri flow turbo grinds, but i dont know if they are offering them in this BB the way it is worded.

check the archives for past BB where it says the following

NEW TRI-FLOW GRIND:
                                Prime Int: 218° @ .050 / 288° duration / .363 L
                                Sec Int: 210° @ .050 / 274° duration / .355 L

Exh: 218° @ .050 / 288° duration .363 L N.A.

Exh: 210° @ .050 / 274° duration .355 L Turbo

This grind gives a much broader power band with minimum low end loss
                                For more information on the tri-Flow please check our web page. www.coltcams.com (under tri-flow technology)

In fact this BB thread has far less info about the grinds than the previous BB threads. Not sure why that is.
                                Last edited by Mr.Jason; January 15, 2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X