Car Audio Buying Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Audio Buying Guide

Here is a quick buying guide that I will make larger as I get more information

Buying Guide

Head Unit

Ok choosing a head unit really isn't too difficult, especially since the Probe fits the standard DIN size unit. Basically, picking a head unit is up to you, but I will give you some things to think about before you choose your new stereo. Many of these questions are basic, but I want to make sure you think about every feature there is in a stereo.

1. What do you want in your car, a tape player or cd player?
    Ok, this should be an easy one. Today, more and more people own only cds, thus making this decision easy, but others may still have a killer tape collection and just can't afford to buy cds to replace them all. If you are considering a tape deck, here's one reason to get one. A Disc Changer can be added to any system, whether completely factory or completely after market, Disc Changers are a great way to get the best of both worlds. One major thing against Tape decks, is the quality. No matter how good of a unit you buy, the quality in tapes cannot match that of cds. This decision you will probably make on your own.

2. What size will fit in the car.
    Fortunately for us, Probes do accept the standard DIN size. Which means we have a great selection to choose from, when looking to buy your stereo 90% of the stereos you look at will be DIN size. Although I'm sure with some work, or maybe a lot of work, a double DIN unit could fit in there.

3. What is a "good" stereo that's not too expensive?
    Ok, this is pretty much the standard question that is asked. People know they want a cd player and know to buy a standard size, but don't know what brand to buy or how much to spend. Well, if you are looking to get a cd player put in, you should be looking to spend at least $200 for just the stereo itself. When you are looking at stereos, make sure you are looking at good name brands such as Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer and other well known names. You are guaranteed a quality product from a name brand. So basically, shop around, take a look at head units in your price range and choose a brand that you like. For those of you who are looking to go further then a standard head unit, try that question a bit further down.

4. What features do I need?
    When you start shopping around you will see very expensive models and the cheaper ones. Basic differences are features and output quality. For the average person a low end model is perfect for a car running a factory system. Once you begin to get more expensive units you will get features such as more Pre-outs, better voltage output, better changer options, and better security features. Mostly the only reason to get a more expensive stereo, is too support an aftermarket system. If you are just beginning car audio and are not sure how involved you will be getting, then it is often good to start with a low end unit, until you figure out exactly what will work for you.

5. Forget a "good" stereo, I want a great one.
    You want a head unit that will match your system, it's best to know what features you need (or want) first. A system with amplifiers will require pre-outs, or RCA-outs, a complete system should get a head unit with 3 pre-outs, for each channel. Although, if you have an EQ, then you actually only need one pre-out. Mostly you want to get good output, you don't want you stereo to be your weak link. Look for stereos with 44 peak, or 22 RMS output or better, with a sensitivity of 93 or better, and 4volt or 8volt pre-outs are good too. If you fit these standards, you will have an average high-end head unit, that will cost you around $400. Of course, the sky's the limit, there are some amazing head units out with solid gold connectors and crazy statistics on it, if your looking for that then you're looking at competition audio, which I unfortunately don't know enough about. But for the average person high-end stereo, look to spend a good $400.

Amplifier

There are plenty of amplifiers to choose from, basically you want an amp that will provide the correct power to your speakers.

1. What should I look for when buying an amp?
    When buying an amplifier you want to make sure it will power your speakers properly. To know this you need to know the RMS rating on your speakers, if you are going to amplifier your factory speakers, keep in mind the are only about 15 watts RMS. So, if your speakers are 45 watts RMS, then an amplifier with rating of 50x4 RMS would work.

2. What if I only have factory speakers, but will get better ones?
    It is alright to have too much power in your amp, as long as you don't push your speaker with all of that power. If you get an amp that's 50x4 be careful not to play your factory speaker too loud, as you can blow them easily. You should notice any distortion in the speakers with too much power. When buying your amp first, know what speakers you will be buying so you can buy the right amp now.

3. Do I need to run new speaker wire, once I install my new amp?
    Many people think they need to upgrade their factory wires. In most cases the factory wires will be sufficient for carrying the signal. The work involved in running new wires really isn't worth it for non-competition cars.

Comment

Sub-Woofer

1. What's the best size?
      As you may or may not know, there is a wide range of sizes for subwoofers. Starting from 8s and up to 15s. The standard sizes are 10s and 12s as 8s don't hit very hard, and act more like woofers, and 15s are too unstable and tend to distort. The basic difference is the sound which is produced. 10s will give more of a punch, think techno, and even rock. Where 12s provide more of a boom, think rap. The 10s will play at a higher level, they will sound louder when you are close to them, but the 12s play deeper and put out more air which tends to shake your car and the people inside. When deciding you should base your choice off the music you listen too. 12s cannot keep up with the techno beats, and 10s just wont pound out those deep bass notes.

2. What's louder 3 10"s or 2 12"s?
      Well, this is a question which shouldn't be asked, the subs you choose should be based on the music you like, but if you can't decide because your music tastes range then its an honest question. The 3 10s will push more air then the 2 12s, there's more surface area on 3 10s. Though the 10s will be louder they still will not be as deep as the 12s. Making them louder does not change the sound that comes out of them.

3. What will impress my friends more?
      Well I'm sure some of us are in this for impressing our friends, and what better way then with some slamming subs. With highly powered 10s the sound produced will be enough to punch people in the face of whoever sits in your car. Where as the 12s will let you be heard from down the block and be able to shack the clothes on anyone sitting near your car. Really it's preference.

Comment

Capacitor

What is a capacitor?
        A capacitor is an electrical device used to help draw energy from your car's battery. It draws energy at a constant rate and then stores it. Placing the capacitor in front of your amplifier allows the amp to draw the necessary power it needs, especially during peaks. The capacitor then recharges itself immediately, ready for the next burst of music. The advantage to this, is that the cap has a more drawn out energy pull, rather then at sudden bursts. This helps from the map drawing power away from your electrical system, thus keeping the lights from dimming. In the Probe a cap will help considerably.

What size capacitor do I need?
        Ford Probes have weak electrical system compared to other factory vehicles, their alternators cannot handle alot of power drawn from aftermarket amplifiers. Starting with a 500 watt sub amplifier you should defiantly get a capacitor. A 1/2 farad cap will greatly improve your electrical system status. Though you will still notice light dimming at peak points in your audio play. To play it safe get a 1 farad capacitor for a 300 watt system especially if you have an amplifier for your speakers or are planning to upgrade

What brand capacitor should I buy?
        Really the brand you buy should not matter. Lightning makes good capacitors and Rockford and other brands make them. There are some features given with certain brands. Lighting provides charging kits and gauges with some of their models. Check your local audio store, just be sure you know the farad size you want.

Where should the capacitor be mounted?
        The capacitor should be mounted as close to the amplifier as possible. And should have it's own ground. Be sure to secure the cap with given brackets as to avoid improper contacts with the terminals.

Are capacitors safe?
        Capacitors in normal usage are completely safe. You can touch both terminals with your fingers and you will be fine. But be sure to avoid metal touching either terminal as it will spark and burn marks in your cap. But, capacitors can be very dangerous, be sure that the capacitor does not sit out in the sun and doesn't get very overheated. Improper handling of a cap can cause it to explode and cause severe damage.

Comment

Great right up
          -Jeff,
          PT's Newest Appearance Moderator

(¯`·._--={CustomProbes Gallery!!! }=--_.·`¯)
          (¯`·._--={CustomProbes2 Gallery!!!}=--_.·`¯)
          (¯`·._--={CustomProbes3 Gallery!!!}=--_.·`¯) NEW

Comment

Working...
          X