Megasquirt FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt FAQ

What good does megasquirt do me? How hard is it? and how much is the average whp after installation? -I think this belongs in the archive

Originally posted by kbk1061 View Post
    What good does megasquirt do me?
    The Megasquirt is a programmable engine control unit that allows you to create your own fuel map at a minimum. It can also (depending on what options you go with) allow you to create a spark map, remove air flow meters, control fans, nitrous, or a boost control solenoid, change to distributorless ignition, or add a two step rev limiter.

How hard is it?
    It depends on just what route you are going. If you build a Megasquirt from a kit, it can be quite involved. If you order a ready made one, it's a bit simpler but still a fairly complex mod.

and how much is the average whp after installation? -I think this belongs in the archive
    The Megasquirt does not add power so much as enable other mods to make their power. Putting one on a stock engine might get you 5 hp if you spent hours dyno tuning it. But if you have made major changes to your engine, it can give you a larger improvement. And it can permit mods that would not be very doable with stock engine management at all.
    Matt at DIYAutoTune.com
    My PM box fills up fast - it's much better to email me at websales@diyautotune.com

Comment

More FAQs that I've written up:

1. Does the Megasquirt come with instructions?

The documentation is posted online, ensuring that you can always find the very latest information. Currently, the documentation is spread across three sites.

The MegaManual - The main manual.
      MS1/Extra Manual - A sort of third party program that turned the MS1 fuel controller into one capable of controlling fuel, ignition, boost, and a lot more.
      MS2/Extra Manual - Another expansion firmware setup, this time for the more powerful MS2/Extra processor.

2. There's a lot of Megasquirt versions out there! Which one should I use?

You can compare the different features here, and see if one of these versions is missing something you can't live without. I've seen just about every version there is installed on Probes successfully, though we generally recommend a V3.0 or later main board.

3. Is Megasquirt mostly for turbo cars, or is there any benefit to putting it on a naturally aspirated motor?

As a general rule, the more you have modified your engine, the less correct the factory ECU calibration is going to be. So you can get larger horsepower gains on heavily modified engines, particularly if you've put forced induction on a motor that never had it from the factory. On a naturally aspirated car, you'll see bigger gains if the engine has internal modifications like cams, while the gains on a near stock motor aren't going to be very large.

4. Where can I find a Megasquirt base map?

The manual walks you through how to create a start up map using a couple parameters about your engine and a bit of trial and error. See the above three manuals: Each one has a section on "Getting the engine started."

5. Can Megasquirt retard timing under boost?

Yes! The way Megasquirt controls timing, you have a timing map that lets you specify what spark advance you want as a function of RPM and the MAP sensor reading. The MAP sensor reading covers boost and vacuum. Just get a MAP sensor sized for the amount of boost you want to run (the standard 2.5 bar one can work with up to 21 psi, and there's an optional 4 bar version for 44 psi) and you can tune in the boost timing retard you need.

If you guys have other questions, post them and I'll see if I can get them added...
      Matt at DIYAutoTune.com
      My PM box fills up fast - it's much better to email me at websales@diyautotune.com

Comment

Update - we now have a guide on our website covering running Megasquirt on a '93-'97 Probe GT. Check it out here:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti..._mazda_mx6.htm
        Matt at DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

Megasquirt FAQ

I dont think anyone here knows that much about megasquirt... try posting in probetalk.

Comment

Working...
          X