new retainers issues with head build? Part numbers inside --->

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new retainers issues with head build? Part numbers inside --->

got a call today from the shop saying the retainers i gave them dont fit with the keepers. i drove down there and saw the issue.

this is with the new retainers and used keepers
    http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=100_3966.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/100_3970.jpg

this is with the old retainers and old keepers.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/100_3968.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/100_3969.jpg

he measure the inner diameter of the new retainer and compared it to the old one, the difference is the new one is 6000 of an inch too small.

has anyone run into this?

he is also worried about the way the old retainer is sitting, says the stem head should protrude more.
    probe is sold, now i have what the probe was suppose to replace, but ironically replaced my probe
    1993 nighthawk 750
    http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...otor/assembly/

what kinda are they?
    96PGTZE~GREDDY~MAGNAFLOW~ACT
    FIDANZA~WILWOOD~AWR~RR-RACING~HS~OUTLAW
    PRD~MSD-WINDOWS~TEIN-SS~RX-8~ALPINE

Comment

Yeah, what brand are the new ones?

As far as the old retainers are concerned, I have assembled 4 or 5 complete sets of heads and that looks normal to me. The way the HLAs are designed, they protrude about 5mm down inside the bucket and they press directly on the valve-stem and touch nothing else.
      Last edited by WhiteDart; May 7, 2008, 07:55 AM.
      Jim K.
      :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

mazda OEM
        part number
        kl01-12-113B

i just did a google search on that part number and guess what i came up with

this is quoted from the aftermarket cylinder head sticky thread.

"Well....I have some information that might be good to know. The upper spring seats (retainers) for a '96 kl03 have the part number kl01-12-113B....the upper spring seats (retainers) for a '93-'95 kl03 have the part number kl01-12-113A. If these two parts are in fact different, this means that the '96+ kl03s received smaller locks and therefore needed a small diameter opening in the spring seat to hold them correctly."
        Last edited by Quicksilver; May 6, 2008, 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        probe is sold, now i have what the probe was suppose to replace, but ironically replaced my probe
        1993 nighthawk 750

Comment

You don't want it like that for sure: you will either hit something or drop the valve and still hit something

I had this problem assembling my heads. I was using ZE valves, Interprep retainers and ZE locks and it would sit too high. I had to go back and find all my DE valve locks to make it work.

(needs verification) Note that you need to match the locks as from the top of my head the locks are different size for intake and exhaust valves...

Comment

That's a definite NO on using the new retainers. The old retainer/lock look right to me.
            2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
            2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

i'm going to see if i can get the updated keepers to go a long with the retainers.
              1993 nighthawk 750

Comment

When I emailed Interprep about their Valves and Retainers, they said their Retainers require a certain Keeper, which I believe are the new style. I am buying the Keepers from them also but my god are they expensive.
                2001.5 Pearl White Audi S4 2.7T Quattro 6-Speed
                GIAC-X Stage I
                AWE Drivetrain Stabilizer / AWE Electronic Boost Gauge / AWE S-Flo Intake / AWE Side-Mount Intercoolers

Comment

i decided to order the 93-95 style of retainers. the keepers i have are fine, i can just do a direct exhange for the retainers
                  1993 nighthawk 750

Comment

I don't think the valvestem protrusion is an issue because the actual part of the HLA that contacts the valvestem sticks out significantly further than the lifter bucket surrounding it.
                    Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
                    06 Legacy GT
                    98 Legacy GT

Comment

maybe soo, but with the increase protrusion comes with a decrease of spring length. the retainer will sit lower in relation to the valve stem, thus compressing the spring even more further then what it was designed for, might even cause binding.
                      1993 nighthawk 750

Comment

So then what are the proper matching numbers for keepers & valve seats (retainers)?

My old build I was using OEM retainers with Interprep (which are also OEM) keepers, but I don't know what style either one was. The springs are Interprep.

For the rebuild now, I have the same Interprep springs, the new style retainers (kl01-12-113B) and the valve locks are FE3N-12-114. I'll have to swing by the shop and check out how they end up I guess.
                        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Well. I did confirm ONE thing - the new styler retainers (KL01-12-113B) WILL NOT WORK with the keepers I have (FE3N-12-114).

So if you order keepers that have this part number(FE3N-12-114), make sure you get the older styler retainers (93-95) that end in 'A' (KL01-12-113A).

Matching hardware, for recap purposes:

'93-'95
                          Keepers: FE3N-12-114
                          Retainers: KL01-12-113A

----------------

'96-'97
                          Keepers: ???
                          Retainers: KL01-12-113B

That is all.
                          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                          90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

yep, that will work. to sum it up, just remember that OBD I and OBD II series retainers and keepers are NOT interchangeable
                            1993 nighthawk 750

Comment

I know this thread is old but I want to fill in the missing information. I actually found the Number for the 1996-1997 Valve Keepers a while ago through Emails back and forth with MazdaPartsCheap.

Anyway, this information is pretty valuable so I figured I'd wake the thread from the dead. The 1996-1997 Valve Keepers are Part Number: FS01-12-114

So to finish the information Dan [Sac] posted above, here it is:

1993-1995 KL Part Numbers
                              Valve Spring Retainers: KL01-12-113A
                              Valve Spring Keepers: FE3N-12-114

1996-1997 KL Part Numbers
                              Valve Spring Retainers: KL01-12-113B
                              Valve Spring Keepers: FS01-12-114

That is all,
                              Brett
                              2001.5 Pearl White Audi S4 2.7T Quattro 6-Speed
                              GIAC-X Stage I
                              AWE Drivetrain Stabilizer / AWE Electronic Boost Gauge / AWE S-Flo Intake / AWE Side-Mount Intercoolers

Comment

Working...
                              X