Replacing the alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the alternator

Okay, I'm trying to replace the alternator in my '94 GT...

Got the Haynes manual and it says back off the tensioner bolt - released and the belt falls off. Yay.

Then, undo the two bolts holding the AC compressor in place to drop it out of the way. Done, and the compressor doesn't budge (found another bolt that looked like a mounting bolt but when it got loosened there was a hiss... oops!!!! retightened quickly.)

Top mounting bolt for the alternator is out and now the alternator sits as solidly mounted to the engine as ever.

1994 Probe GT - still going at 333,000 kms; 2004 Jeep Liberty; 2007 Harley Davidson Road King

what about the trough bolt ( what the alt. swivels on) on the bottom?
    96 MX6 M Edition , V6 5 speed. 95 MX6,I4 manual - work in progress,but still DD . 94 626,V6 automatic - the family (wife's) car. 94 626 V6 auto ,parting out.

Comment

Can't get at the bloody thing with the AC compressor still firmly attached and I can't see what else is holding the compressor in place.
      1994 Probe GT - still going at 333,000 kms; 2004 Jeep Liberty; 2007 Harley Davidson Road King

Comment

Then take the radiator out. It is my preferred method for removing the alternator, although there are plenty of people that do not like that method.

Keep trying to get at the lower bolt on the alternator. There is not much you will be able to remove to aid you in getting to said bolt. You'll get it eventually
        1995 Mazda Millenia

1994 Mazda 626 ES 2.5L MTX

Comment

Originally posted by bladirka View Post
          Then take the radiator out. It is my preferred method for removing the alternator, although there are plenty of people that do not like that method.

Keep trying to get at the lower bolt on the alternator. There is not much you will be able to remove to aid you in getting to said bolt. You'll get it eventually
          Jeezuz!!! Somebody recently said to me, "Ah yes, the Ford Probe. An excellent example of building a car around an engine."

I'm believing that more and more that I work on this thing.

Comment

you dont HAVE to take the radiator out...there are actually three bolts on the ac compressor im pretty sure(not positive)....two on the bottom and one on the top left (passenger side) of the car, it's a pain in the ass to get to... I just changed mine out about three weeks ago without taking the radiator out. it's makes it a tad more difficult but it can be done.

once the compressor is "movable" move it towards the driver side of the motor as far as you can....then take out the top bolts out of the alternator...then all you gotta do is loosen the bottom one....cause it wont come out until you get it free from the bracket. then it's just maneuvering it around to get it out. GL!

And BTW...you'll also realize that the haynes manual most of the time only good for torque specs and tightening sequence....It leaves out so much info...making you frustrated when it doesnt happen like they "say" it should. haha Once you've done something on the probe...it's way easier the second time around.
            Last edited by lenmeister432; October 12, 2010, 08:30 PM.
            97' PGTS Completely rebuilt ZE at "117,1xx" 5-speed, HEI and blaster2, full header-back 2.5" magnaflow Fidanza w/ stage3 6puckhttp://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...12z5KxBA%3D%3D
            1994 PGT that got me hooked on the probe game=SOLD! Gonna miss it. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&id=542616501

Comment

I just did the alternator on our 93 PGT and there are 4 mounting bolts in a
              rectangular pattern for the compressor. You might not see the top ones, but
              put your wrench up there and it is there.
              You do not have to disconnect the hoses, but you have probably lost some
              charge if you heard a hiss.
              Disconnect the battery ground if you have not already.
              Disconnect the wires to the alternator.
              Remove the top bolt, then loosen the bottom bolt, if you try to remove
              it you'll see that it seems as if it is impossible to get out.
              The trick is to rotate the alternator down and there is a slot in the frame
              that allows it to slide forward off the bolt and out.
              Last edited by Pete93ProbeGT; October 12, 2010, 08:21 PM.

Comment

^^^ all the above info is wrong and dangerous. You run the risk of cracking a very old a/c line by bending it out of shape. Am I the only one that has learned removing the radiator fans is way easier. As long as we are talking Probe and not Mx6.
                1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
                  ^^^ all the above info is wrong and dangerous. You run the risk of cracking a very old a/c line by bending it out of shape. Am I the only one that has learned removing the radiator fans is way easier. As long as we are talking Probe and not Mx6.
                  Okay, so what's involved in removing the fans?

*lol* and please take note of what it says under 'Starfire' on the left.
                  Last edited by Starfire; October 12, 2010, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Search for "TravisWilliamGT" replacing the alternator methods....I have never used his method, but something similar, I took off the radiator, which in his method he says to just lift up the radiator with all the coolant hoses still attached to it and just kind of sit it on top of the engine, and that will give you enough clearance to work and replace the alternator.....Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Gt-Addict View Post
                      Search for "TravisWilliamGT" replacing the alternator methods....I have never used his method, but something similar, I took off the radiator, which in his method he says to just lift up the radiator with all the coolant hoses still attached to it and just kind of sit it on top of the engine, and that will give you enough clearance to work and replace the alternator.....Good Luck
                      K, found the instructions from TravisWilliamGT and I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfire View Post
                        Okay, so what's involved in removing the fans?

*lol* and please take note of what it says under 'Starfire' on the left.
                        that's what is here for!

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
                        I just did it with no problems ? didnt bend the line what-so-ever ? it comes straight down off the hard line that runs to the condensor...with enough slack to move it without bending it one bit. it's in no way wrong or a ...just because it's not as easy. and yeah if you bend the hell out of the line then it could possibly be dangerous. The haynes manual tells you to do it while the radiator is still in place on the vehicle.

Pick ur path and go for it. Either way will work. GOOD LUCK
                        Last edited by lenmeister432; October 12, 2010, 09:16 PM.
                        97' PGTS Completely rebuilt ZE at "117,1xx" 5-speed, HEI and blaster2, full header-back 2.5" magnaflow Fidanza w/ stage3 6puckhttp://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...12z5KxBA%3D%3D
                        1994 PGT that got me hooked on the probe game=SOLD! Gonna miss it. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&id=542616501

Comment

I think I'm gonna go with the rad removal simply cuz I can't find the other two bolts on the compressor, and I don't wanna risk bleeding anymore freon off of the system.

I'm already being held accountable for enough stuff without destroying the ozone too!!!!

Comment

lol...yeah...good luck!

Comment

let us know how it goes cuz i might have to be changing mine here this weekend and can use all the help/tips i can get. first-timer as well lol
                              1996 pgt - 148k miles
                              milly maf conversion, klg4 intake mani(need a new one!), stage 1 clutch, mx3 flywheel, many other mods

Comment

Working...
                              X