Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to add from recent experience that the 2nd gen stock subwoofer box will hold a JL Audio 6W0 6.5"(the speaker is just a little too deep) and the screw holes will line up, BUT a MTX Thunder 5000 6.5", while shallower, does not have screw holes that line up. The circle is too large. I left it in there anyway with only two of the three holes holding screws.

Also, each 2G PGT I've run into has had 6.5" front speakers.

B
    Last edited by BarryG; November 10, 2007, 09:10 PM.
    Registered Probetalk Member #392.
    Co-founder of ALPOC. Formerly had '93 Rio Red GT, PRD STS-99, Bosch H4 lamps, Borla, Pilot 1055-c driving lamps. IT'S CRUNCHY!
    '93 Teal PGT. '94 black PSE. '91 PLX, 300k+ miles.

Comment

I'd like to add that my PGT is a '95 and definitely NOT 6.5'' in the door. It's a late '94 production '95. Even Crutchfield says it's 5 1/4''.
      Anthony D. Christiano

Comment

i have a 95 and my fronts are 5 1/4 and my rears are 5x7
        BLACK 95PSE- on jack stands waiting for something special

DAILY: BLACK MICA PROTEGE5: FORGED,SQUIRTED, AND HOLSET POWERED!!!

Comment

pgt speaker sizes

I've got audiobahn 6x9 in the rear and 6.5 audiobahns up front in my 2nd gen. Very easy to install the larger speakers, grind out the size/space you need and pop the original screw clips into your new holes. Good mod to do, not much work.

Comment

In my 94 pgt I installed Alpine sps 57c2 6x8s in the rear, 250 watts peak, 50 RMS. and installed Alpine sps 600c 6 1/2"s in the doors , 240 watts at 80 rms. the door speakers mounting depth is 2 1/4. I have no issues with window rub or stoppage altogether. Everything works like a dream. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2997624 all stereo photos are on page 2 on my car domain pages.

Comment

I just had to figure my probe out I had some 6x9's in the rear deck lid since I moved damaged one of the pioneers. but I wanted to put them back in the stock place now in the sides of the rear the ones in my 92plx is 6 inch rear, the fronts is 6.5 slim fit. it came with audiovox original factory and a under seat amp.what a deal that the dealer installed them I guess back then of course I called the guy I got my probe from ( original owners son) he said his dad told him it was all stock cause he is a ford dealer... .. now I wonder how frigging hard is it going to be to find 6 inch speakers to replace them
              DA

remember if I fly past you...
              that " you have just been probed!!!!"
              my bumper sticker on the rear
              92'Lx 3.0 Vulcan 0.30 Over Pistons 0.30 under crank milled heads, new fuel injectors, no cat(testpipe), 3 stage xtd clutch, black-cat tail devil exhaust, custom air intake and filter.205/60/15 Yokohama tires,AR aluminum wheels, short throw shifter, I'm a female !!!!! get it? so stop callin me a he

Comment

With the internet I don't think you'll have a hard time. I'm going to put 6x9's in the rear and worry about the front when the blow. But wondering what is a good pair of speakers.
                REVOLUTION IS A BEAST THAT LIVES WITHIN OUR SOULS, A BEAST THAT IS THE ESSENCE OF HUMAN LOVE, BORN FROM THE MOLDS OF TRUTH, REASON, AND JUSTICE. DEHUMANIZED INSTITUTIONS HOLD THE POWER TO DECEIVE THE BEAST, PLACEING IT IN A WORLD WHERE IT'S SENSES DO NOT FUNCTION. IT IS DELIBERATELY BLINDED AND DEAFENED BY A VEIL OF IGNORANCE. UNTIL IT FALLS INTO A DEEP SLUMBER. THIS IS AN ERA RULED BY CORRUPTION, DECEPTION, AND INJUSTINCE. IF THE BEAST IS NOT AWAKEND, THE DESTRUCTION OF HUMANITY IS INEVITABLE.

Comment

I have a full sony Xplode system from my last car but have not been able to put my 6x9's in the rear yet. I'm most likely going to cut it to fit, but is there any suggestions and/or write-ups on the best way to do this?

Comment

i just put sony xplodes all the way around my probe. the 6X9s were only a little off. i didnt cut them i just took a heavy hammer and railed the top and bottom corners. theres pictures in my cardomain. check the link in the sig.

Comment

So. i assumed my fronts we're 6.5"s... nope. speant an hour trying to get them to fit... couldn't find a drill.... so need to get up early and find it, or buy a 5.25" component system, which sounds like a plan to me.
                      93 PGT RED, STS, straight pipe out the back...

Comment

I use this LCD MP3 - Advanced Car Audio System (HZ-3011) and hope the best too.
                        Car DVD Systems

Comment

Great Info!

Comment

I'm not sure about our factory amps since I just used the HU speaker outs for my speakers with new monster wires, BUT I have a Alpine amp out of a porsche that had
                            the din plug on it. I cut it off and soldered rca ends to the wires and went to hook it up
                            and nothing! So I busted out the dvm and I had to connect two of the wires that were
                            in the din bundle (I think it was the red and orange) left the yellow one taped up read
                            not connected to anything. Hooked it back up and it works. So there are probablyt a
                            setup like that in the factory amp under the seat. If you plan on using it for say the
                            tweeters or a center channel(whatever) You will need to use a DV meter (multimeter)
                            and do some investigating with power to the unit. I am going to take mine out one of
                            these days and use it to power a set of boston acoustic 2" speakers inside the door vents to get my soundstage up closer to the front and ears and probably some tweeters
                            or maybe two more of those BA's in the center vents. I will post pics and a wiring schematic and which wires you need to connect to have the factory amp work without
                            the factory wiring.

Comment

My 93 gt has 6.5 openings in the front door. I put MB Quartz 6.5 component set in the front doors and bolted right up
                              93 MTX Black interior swapped, Hotshot CAI, 18" Falken Wheels, Eibach springs. Its a daily driver!
                              http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...g/100_0791.jpg

Comment

I've heard different things from everyone i dont know who to believe anymore.... what are the sizes.... WITH NO CUTTING REQUIRED please... i have clarion speakers in the back and a clarion head unit and they are bad... the actual cd player is screwed up dont know whats wrong with it... the speakers are blown and i dont know if i even have front speakers last time we took off door panels we broke clips so i have yet to take mine off... but i will end up taking them off while the car is not running cause i dont have the money to fix it... it sucks but gives me time to mess with it... oh well

Comment

Working...
                                X