How to: Honda Civic Short Throw Shifter (STS) Install/Adaptation Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to: Honda Civic Short Throw Shifter (STS) Install/Adaptation Guide

my washers are probably dragging on the bearing face, but i got the nylon washers, and i greased them to hell. shifter still has zero play, and smooth shifting.
    1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
    2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
    2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

and this marks the end to any sales of STS that are made for the probes/mx6s
      NCPOC > BAPOC > SCPOC > FlaPOC > MIPOC

Comment

i just took the washers and clamped it ontop of the washer that came with it, and then used my dremel and a cone shaped stone grinding wheel to bore it out using the original as the template for the whole size
        98 Mazda 626 v6,ze im,APC sts, duel feed fuel rails, custom cai, 55 shot zex wet, dropzone coilovers, kyb gr2` struts, spec stage3 clutch, mx-3 flywheel, ss clutch line,

my car
        http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=396615&poll_action=view

Comment

to anyone that has the double bend one. do u like it, im gonna buy one this saturday and these seem like the most common ones on ebay, as seen here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33736

do u guys recommend getting that one?
          97 Probe GT MTX

Comment

I think it's personal preference. I installed one on someone else's car and I liked it. I'm shorter so I'd rather have it sit further back than a single bend STS for better reach.
            Marc M.
            Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
            2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha95PGT
              I think it's personal preference. I installed one on someone else's car and I liked it. I'm shorter so I'd rather have it sit further back than a single bend STS for better reach.
              true, i think im gonna go with the double bend. although im tall i still find that there is an issue. when i shift into 5th my pinky gets squashed between the shifter and the plastic console. so i think having it sit further back will solve my problem.
              97 Probe GT MTX

Comment

with the double bend the knob seems to stand up straighter. I do feel like i reaching more than i used to, but it doesnt bother me much. take their advice on the bushings, mine were too big, and it has some play in it.
                Matt
                '00 Wrangler, '99 Z28
                '03 Tiburon GT 6-speed. I/H/E, IM, B&M STS, 15% tints, 4200k HIDs- Sold
                '97 PGT MTX, Black/Tan, Chrome Swirlies w/ many mods ~"Totalled"~
                '94 PGT MTX- Stock-Sold

Comment

so what size bushings am i suppose to get. i recieved the shifter today, but before i go to the hardware store i wanna make sure i get the right size bushings. should i get the 3/8" as it says to in the top, or should i get other ones?
                  97 Probe GT MTX

Comment

FYI: Some guys on the ERDT and clubprotege forums I"m part of have done this mod. Their shifters are basically teh same as the probe, slightly different bends, but same bushings and linkage design.

Anyways, DO NOT BUY THE CRAPPY "BILLET ALUMINUM" VERSIONS OF THESE CIVIC SHIFTERS!! They are total crap and have been known to bend in half with normal use.

Get STEEL ones only if you want them to last. They are a little harder to find, but still abundant on ebay, and about the same price.

Here is a search for "civic steel shifter"

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/s...%3D1&gotopage=
                    Wil (admin iMazda.com) 93' MX-ZE
                    Mods: ZE w/31 cams & curved-neck mani, 67mm t/b, obx headers w/2.5" straight-thru, 3" custom CAI,
                    Mazdaspeed mounts, Tochigi Fuji Sangyo 2-way LSD, ACT clutch, Noble Green Metallic paint, E-spec headlights,
                    OEM skirts, 16" SubZeros on Azenis, Tokico w/Eibach's, Mazdaspeed TTL & Bushing Kit, New OEM Leather seats & SE interior

READ THE HEADER FAQ OR DO A SEARCH

Comment

i bought the billet one as posted in one of the links above, and i dont see how it could bend in half. my pacesetter is made out of the same stuff, it that hasnt been bent at all. hmmm
                      97 Probe GT MTX

Comment

Does this fit all probes, or only second gens?
                        Matt
                        '89 Probe GT - G/Stock and $2004 Challenge Competitor

Comment

Originally posted by IntergalacticGT
                          Does this fit all probes, or only second gens?
                          Don't quote me, but I had heard that the Civic STS mod started out with 1st gens then someone tried it out on a 2nd gen.
                          Marc M.
                          Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
                          2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Just finished this and it is a great mod, particularly for the price. Shifts are quicker, more positive and less sloppy. Here are a few additional comments:

Removal:
                            There are 2 rubber boots on the shifter base, you want to take off the center one that isn't bolted down.

The nylon snap ring must be twisted while being squeezed by the snap ring pliers to get the ends loose.

Installation:
                            The shifter base (that holds the bearings) had sharp corners and I filed them round a little to keep from damaging the cup and lower boot when they went over it. The lower boot stretches amazingly well. Look at the photos carefully, it is easy to get the lower boot upside down.

Remember to turn the top cup upside down from the stock installation, that is why this works.

The nylon snap ring fitted very tightly and I was not able to get the steel snap ring to fit in over it. That seems to be ok, everything is tight and there really isn't much "up" force.

If like me you needed a new shift knob, B&M makes a black "short leather" knob #80744 that looks like the stock but with no little numbers on top. To use this you will need to cut about 3/8" off the top of the threads on the lever to get it to seat all the way down.
                            96 Rio red GT

Comment

ok guys i just did it. it replaced my pacesetter. Its soo smooth and I like everything about it. Only thing is that nylon snap ring would not go in, so just like my pacesetter shifter, i just put the metal one in. No play whatsoever. also, the stock shift knob doesnt seem to do onto it tight. so BobsProbe, does the B&M one go on it tight?
                              97 Probe GT MTX

Comment

Stock shift lever threads are finer so the knob threads probably got mangled a little when it went back on. The B&M comes with plastic inserts that are unthreaded. You find the right diameter one and screw it on and it fits real tight.
                                96 Rio red GT

Comment

Working...
                                X