Front Sway Bar Bushing Removal / Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Sway Bar Bushing Removal / Replacement

Hey guys, I was able to break loose the front sway bar bushing bracket bolts, but Im not sure if I should abandon the project because it looks like there is not enough clearance to remove and replace the bushings. Any tips? I searched but only found 2 postings with zero comments. Thx!

94 PGT MTX

PS: I did the rear links and rear sway bar bushings earlier today and what a dramatic improvement!

After seeing one bushing was deformed and split at the base I was forced to undertake the bushing removal and replacement. I was able to remove one side but it wasn't easy. Here's some notes if anyone plans to do this. I'll install them next weekend so I can soak the bolts in Evaporust.

Sway Bar bushing removal:
    1. Mazda P/N GA2a-34-156 ($7 each). THESE DID NOT FIT!
    2. 16 oz beers of choice. 12 ozs is no match for this effort. PB Blaster too.
    3. These are the tools I used:
    -14mm box end slim wrench
    -14mm Gear Wrench type
    -14 mm stubby box end wrench
    -Flat head screw driver with long blade
    -21mm socket and 17mm socket
    -No ratchet / socket will work due to very tight clearances.
    4. Remove tires (21mm) and jack up high as you can because you'll have to crawl way under the car.
    5. I removed the crossmember but not sure you have to? (6 bolts 17mm)
    6. Try and break free the bushing bracket bolts using the longer 14mm wrench. A couple I had to use a pipe extension.
    7. This requires patience. loosen the 14mm bolts which is a pain because you can only loosen about 1/8-1/4 per turn. Once partially backed out use the 14mm Gear Wrench to expedite loosening. The brackets have lips on the base so I had to get the bolt head loosened high enough to use the gear wrench. Mostly though, the regular 14mm box end wrench was the best for me. Only one bolt I could remove with my fingers because of the rust.
    8. Once bolts are removed, I left the drivers side bracket and bushing in place to remember how it goes together for next weekend. The passenger side, from under neath the car, I grabbed the upper side edge of the bushing with a long blade flat head screwdriver, and dragged it towards the center of the car until I could get enough clearance to remove it.

[I]This was an epic fail. The Mazda bushings did not fit, and I tried Moog K9994, which were suppose to be slightly larger in diameter but were'nt, neither fit. I had to back out and install the original bushings. The bushings I bought would not allow the bracket to fully seat. [/I]
    Last edited by jdonnell; March 28, 2018, 01:40 AM.

Comment

yeah, that front suspension is a bitch if you haven't pulled the engine out.

Comment

Working...
      X