Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those with CZT engine kit and ALL others -- READ THIS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mx6gt04
    Just for clarification, what was the mileage on the motor before the 20 psi untuned meltdown?

Here is a pic of my detonated stock piston as well.

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/2...e/Im001195.jpg
    1500km on 5psi
    then around 200-300 on 20psi

what I think is that 5 psi wasn't strong enough to break it but with the little notch the valve did, 20psi was too strong for hte little part (damage) and it let go. Could be timing though but the freakin marks on the pistons let me think that.

Originally posted by janz99
    Thats true. but trust me, if your valves were hitting your pistons, you would know it! Mine made a terrable noise when they were hitting! The car also wouldnt run properly, constantly stumbling and never ran for more then a few seconds.
    Ryan
    That is because your timing was off like you stated above

BTW what ever happend to Rayman's engine ?
    Last edited by babyblueMX3; April 3, 2006, 11:30 AM.
    Steve's klze turbo powered MX-3
    01 Golf GTI 1.8T

Comment

If your pistons hit the valves enough to crack the pistons, it would be enough to bend our flimbsy little valves. It would take alot of force/detonation to cause a cracked piston like that.

Id still like to know if anyone else had a running czt engine yet? Mine has 700KM on it so far!

Ryan

Comment

Regardless that sucks. I know of a place that quoted me $505 for 6 pistons made to my specs. I wont post it because someone might think its advertising. But it is a viable option. Not sure what other places charge, but it was a very good deal I thought
        94 MX3 V6 - 403 whp 412 ft lbs 15 psi pump gas. RIP
        98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
        04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

If your pistons hit the valves enough to crack the pistons, it would be enough to bend our flimbsy little valves. It would take alot of force/detonation to cause a cracked piston like that.

Id still like to know if anyone else had a running czt engine yet? Mine has 700KM on it so far!

Ryan
          I don't think the valves broke the pistons but they weakened(is that a word?) it, and the boost broke it since there was damage. It's a combination of damage and high boost.
          as an exemple, why do turbo flanges are so thick ? to prevent them from warping. With the piston wall reduced thickness, it warped at some place and broke at others.
          Last edited by babyblueMX3; April 3, 2006, 11:44 AM.
          Steve's klze turbo powered MX-3
          01 Golf GTI 1.8T

Comment

Mine were also warped. Flanges are so thick to reduce distorting with HEAT.

Now, provided you detonated, Im guessing those piston crowns are warped upward, correct? Just like my stockers

I had 2 broken piston crowns, 5 bent rods, and 3 warped crowns after some hefty abuse and expected damage
            94 MX3 V6 - 403 whp 412 ft lbs 15 psi pump gas. RIP
            98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
            04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

Well I did hear that the piston issues czt had with wiseco was a fight that czt had been through with them since the beginning.

Rayman had to have his pistons sent back..

czt also had to send back a few sets, something was going on at wiseco and they were getting the drawings mixed up or something..

I know that it was enough of a problem that czt stopped making the kits in frustration.. I think they had to eat a couple of engine rebuilds because of it too.

Wiseco went through a restructuring during the czt kit days too..

Comment

Originally posted by mx6gt04
                Regardless that sucks. I know of a place that quoted me $505 for 6 pistons made to my specs. I wont post it because someone might think its advertising. But it is a viable option. Not sure what other places charge, but it was a very good deal I thought

Could you pm me the companys name and number I really need pistons and 500 is my limit right now....
                I choose to believe what I was programed to believe.
                My Ride

Comment

The valves did not break the pistons, the valves would bend before the piston would break let alone become deformed.
                  The other issue is the engine is NON INTERFERANCE! Unless you changed deck height, valve seat depth, thickness of the valve or height of the piston from the wrist pin you can not hit the piston even if your timing was put on with out regard for timing marks.
                  They simply will not contact each other as long as they meet OEM specs.
                  Rick_96PGT #62
                  "I never apologize.
                  I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."
                  - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_96PGT
                    The valves did not break the pistons, the valves would bend before the piston would break let alone become deformed.
                    The other issue is the engine is NON INTERFERANCE! Unless you changed deck height, valve seat depth, thickness of the valve or height of the piston from the wrist pin you can not hit the piston even if your timing was put on with out regard for timing marks.
                    They simply will not contact each other as long as they meet OEM specs.
                    I disagree with this. I managed to get my valves to hit my pistons by putting the timing cogs on the wrong bank of the engine. It forces the valves open at the wrong time thus contacting the piston. When they say this engine is NON-interferance its when the belt breaks the cams snap into a position where the vavles sit and wont contact the pistons.

At least this is my theory anyways, because everyone told me no matter how you set up the mechanical timing, there is no way the valves can hit the pistons, but i some how managed to do so! I had the heads decked, but hte shop only took off .002", not enough for the pistons to contact the valves... seat height and everything else remained the same.

Ryan

Comment

Well, if you install the timing wrong
                      I should have read that better
                      Rick_96PGT #62
                      "I never apologize.
                      - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I disagree with this. I managed to get my valves to hit my pistons by putting the timing cogs on the wrong bank of the engine. It forces the valves open at the wrong time thus contacting the piston. When they say this engine is NON-interferance its when the belt breaks the cams snap into a position where the vavles sit and wont contact the pistons.

At least this is my theory anyways, because everyone told me no matter how you set up the mechanical timing, there is no way the valves can hit the pistons, but i some how managed to do so! I had the heads decked, but hte shop only took off .002", not enough for the pistons to contact the valves... seat height and everything else remained the same.

Ryan
                        you sure they didn't take .020 off the deck unless something was changed from stock specs the pistions will not hit valves. I dropped a valve @5k and it just barly touched the pistion. something is to big or to small.
                        03 frontier family car/dd
                        93 mx6 tessa's car: ze and just about every bolt on.
                        01 ws6 : 618/695 wrecked tell your kids to use a effing cross walk!!
                        02 35th SS.. heads and cam

Comment

It's hard to see in the pic's, but if they really did break in the same exact place then something is up. That would be too much of a coincidence from detonation.
                          1994 PGT MS2 LC-1 370cc 190lph KLZE intake ported heads Turbonetics T4 2.5" Magnaflow STS MX3 flywheel ceramic clutch, 355fwhp ** sold
                          1980 Fairmont 4-door, S472, Megasquirt, 351C, 678rwhp.
                          2003 Mach 1, FR500 engine, 372rwhp w/out spray.
                          2003 Escape, slow.

Comment

Originally posted by harvey93gt
                            you sure they didn't take .020 off the deck unless something was changed from stock specs the pistions will not hit valves. I dropped a valve @5k and it just barly touched the pistion. something is to big or to small.
                            No it wasnt .020, They just skimmed the heads to clean up the gasket surface, they wernt taking material off to up the compression or anything major.

There is HUGE amounts of clearance when the engine is timed right. But ppl always say, no matter how far out your mechanical timing is, your valves can never hit the pistons, well i proved that theory wrong! Like i said earlier i had over .355" of piston to valve clearance when the timeing was right, but when i had the timing belt cogs on the wrong banks of the engine, i managed to have the valves hit.

Ryan

Edit- the reason i say OVER .355" is because the clay that i put on the top of hte pistons was .355" thick on the intake side and .350" thick on the exhaust side, and the valve never even touched the clay! So im not sure how much more clearance there really is.
                            Last edited by janz99; April 4, 2006, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I keep going over this on parts in my garage, I can not see the valves hitting the pistons at any time.
                              If you have valve damage it may be due to piston failure.
                              Rick_96PGT #62
                              "I never apologize.
                              - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I thought I remembered when this problem first surfaced (it might have even been when geck0 was the one sourcing the pistons) that it was all because they had incorrect valve reliefs cut into the top of the piston.
                                -Chris C.
                                Cadillac ATS 3.6L AWD

Comment

Working...
                                X