This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dead_beat_89
    The black is for power, ground, etc. while the grey supplies the speaker connections. The speaker wires from the grey connector run underneath the front passenger seat and into the amp's input. The outputs then run from the amp to each of the 4 speakers.This is the amp under the seat.
    Thanks a lot. The only problem I have now is that I suspect that all four of my speakers must be running by magic . . . with one connector not being used at all!!! Obviously they must have cut into the required circuts separately . . .

Perhaps I'd be better off just rewiring to the new speakers in total with straight runs with new wire. I could still keep the door speakers wired as they are to their next connnector block and just butt-splice the new wires in where appropriate. It would involve a bit more detective work on my part, but then I’d know where everything was coming from and going to . . . Option B is to try to re-establish the OE wiring and then use the proper aftermarket connectors . . .

Thanks again for the pictures . . . (I’ll have to figure out how to do that some day too . . . it helps to make things a lot clearer than some of my “verbose” descriptions . . . )
    Last edited by lilredprobe91lx; November 26, 2006, 08:51 AM.
    91 Probe LX - Mainly Stock (Other than for the growing number of "Repaired" parts . . . ) >> It performed its duty well through 4/2007 - Now I'm moving on to other things, but it will always be fondly remembered. Thanks to everyone at PT.

Comment

My cousin has a 93 pgt, he did some cutting and put 6" in the front, and 6x9 in the back, and redone the sub box and put a 10 with an amp. everything was JL Audio, and believe me, you can hear things on a cd that you didnt hear before. It sounds so damn clear. I'm going with JL now, but im not cutting anything.
      PEARL GREEN 1994 PROBE GT SLAMMED ON 18 INCH MOTEGI RACING RIMS, SHAVED BODY, 2.5 TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, FULL BLACK INTERIOR, WHITE GUAGES, WITH A KENWOOD SYSTEM WITH 12 SPEAKERS. PERFORMANCE MODS INCLUDE, MEGQSQURTED KLZE, PORT AND POLISH HEADS AND INTAKE, HOT SHOT HEADDERS AND COLD AIR INTAKE, WITH BORLA EXHAUST, LEVAL TEN TORQUE CONVERTER, AND A TRANSMISSION COOLER. ONLY 90 PERCENT MORE TO GO

Comment

Originally posted by lilredprobe91lx
        Do you know/remember if this single OE amp in the 1G worked for all 4 speakers + the sub? (Or just the rear speakers and the sub? . . . Or what?)

Thanks
        The amp under the seat handled the four speakers. The sub amp behind the pass side plastic panel handled the sub.

Barry
        Registered Probetalk Member #392.
        Co-founder of ALPOC. Formerly had '93 Rio Red GT, PRD STS-99, Bosch H4 lamps, Borla, Pilot 1055-c driving lamps. IT'S CRUNCHY!
        '93 Teal PGT. '94 black PSE. '91 PLX, 300k+ miles.

Comment

Originally posted by dead_beat_89
          The black is for power, ground, etc. while the grey supplies the speaker connections.

I would like to verify this . . . I found some information at Installer.com (now that I know what I'm looking for) that seems to indicate the reverse. (ie Grey being Power and Black being Signal, (Grey Pin#2=power ant, P#5=Illumination, P#6=12V, P#7=SubW-, P#8=Memory (???), Black Pin#1=RRSpk-, P#2=RRSpk+, P#3=RFSpk-, P#4=RFSpk+, P#5=LRSpk-, P#6=LRSpk+, P#7=LFSpk-, P#8=LFSpk+ . . . ) I don't know why all the Grey contacts aren't listed/shown with wire colors . . . )

Certainly could be an easy mix up in any case.

I think I can find most of the approriate pigtails at that site, but I don't see a specific "ByPass" cable for the 91s . . . (Only see one for 93 and newer.)

(I know this has been a little off the "speaker size" topic, but until I get my new ones in I won't be able to provide anything more in that area. But I will update . . . )

Thanks,
          91 Probe LX - Mainly Stock (Other than for the growing number of "Repaired" parts . . . ) >> It performed its duty well through 4/2007 - Now I'm moving on to other things, but it will always be fondly remembered. Thanks to everyone at PT.

Comment

**My 1994 base model came with 6.5's up front.

Trust me, thats why I had to custom mount my 5.25 Rockfords in the panels

Comment

I know no one asked but i am just going to tell...If you have never heard Of Morel speakers i would suggest checking them out...one of the best sounding speakers i have ever heard. I listened to 2 6" component sets and it sounded like i was sitting in front of a home theatre system. Oh and that was without a sub....amazing mid and low bass on them, compared to any alpine or kicker anyways. I myself have Alpine type R stuff, although i would like those Morels...check them out

2.25" stainless exhaust, Headers, CAI, AWR mounts, B&M Short Throw, Jacobs Pro-street, Front/Rear Strut brace, clear corners, Colt 210/210, Interprep valve springs, Aasco flywheel, CM IIR clutch, ZE IM, phenos

Comment

Anyone have comments on mounting depth of the front speakers on a 91 PGT? Anything I should worry about?

IIRC, the depth on my 2g 95's 6.5 in speakers had plenty of room to play with.
                Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
                1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

Originally posted by Fastest95PGT
                  Anyone have comments on mounting depth of the front speakers on a 91 PGT? Anything I should worry about?

IIRC, the depth on my 2g 95's 6.5 in speakers had plenty of room to play with.
                  Deadbeat_89 had a few problems, read about it in this thread. You might want to message him to find out exactly how much interference there was.
                  Some say you're a trouble boy
                  just because you like to destroy
                  all the things that bring the idiots joy
                  well, what's wrong with a little destruction

Comment

I would ask him, but my door panels look nothing like his. And I wonder how deep his speakers were.

I think I could fab something up if necessary with a bunch of washers to push it out some. The speakers I'm looking at are 3" deep and that seems about typical for 6.5" rounds.
                    Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi

Comment

I forgot what depth they were but I did have trouble rolling down the windows the first few tries and now it works all the time. IDK what I did. Hmm, that's weird that the 91 PGT panels are different than the 91 PGL panels.
                      1991 Ford Probe GL *UPDATED 01-16-06* 6-11-07...T-boned and totaled.

'85 Jeep CJ7

Looking for another Probe.

Comment

I didn't even notice you had a GL, sorry. That probably explains it.

Comment

That's okay, I thought they would be the same panels as well.
                          1991 Ford Probe GL *UPDATED 01-16-06* 6-11-07...T-boned and totaled.

'85 Jeep CJ7

Looking for another Probe.

Comment

I had kicker DS60 (6 1/2in) which needed a hole of 4-7/8 in to drop into. the mounting depth is 1-7/8th in. I fit these in my 93,94,93, and have put a set in a 97 with out any cutting or hitting anything in the doors. The tweeter does hit the grill, but dosent affect the woofer movement in anyway. This size is common for most name brand speakers.

so look for

4-7/8 mounting hole diameter and they will drop in.
                            MMX BEST ROLLIN WERCK
                            1991 accord wagon..20's, ear bleeding system..storm trooper style /08 CRV black/tan sunroof...stock /1965 thunderbird landau/

Comment

just a side note because i know some member on here have mx6's and 626's on the 1st gen the sub and sub amp are under the pasg seat,the sub is a shallow 6 inch
                              93gt 230k dd.
                              1993 probe gt
                              96 pgt 135k dd
                              http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...100_3918-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 95PGTTech
                                no that is the stock amp.

the stock sub was an option, and is mounted in a small plastic enclosure in the rear of the trunk. it bolts to the floor in the farthestmost back passenger corner of the trunk and the enclosure has subwoofer written on the top.
                                Would you know were the factory subwoofer speaker wire setup to from the passenger side of the hatchback. Where do they plug into? Last night I took both amgs out to look at the wire set up. The headunit amp on the right and the sub woofer amp on the left they are both by the speakers. There is no place to plug in the wires from the sub woofer speaker. Do you have this setup could you tell me how to set up the wires from the sub woofer speaker to the right place.
                                black 94 probe gt-on 5lbs boost - t3/t4 50trim dynoed at 210hp & 194 tq on fmu

Comment

Working...
                                X