Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heh... I won't feel anything but the payment for the work in my pocket. It's for a local Prober's car.
    Greg Martin
    2009 BMW 328i
    2017 BMW X3
    1990 Probe LX

Comment

my car is lighter than most mtx's so i dont mind.
      Chris Rose

Comment

Re: problems with my swap

Originally posted by VinnieMacPGT
        i kinda ran into a wall with this swap, im hearing a few different things about year specific parts. is the ecu on a 97 gts the same on both the atx and mtx? and which years is the intermediate shaft on the 97 compatible?
        There are two different ECU's for the 97 GT's.
        The atx ECU will have 3 plugs and the mtx will have 2. I would recommend getting a new wiring harness from a mtx and ecu so you won't have any codes flashing and you wont' have to use the jumper pin that makes the car thinks it's in park when it is really a mtx.
        NoclssGT.com
        PhotoPOC
        DaddyPOC
        1997 Ford Probe GT MTX, 2009 Mazda6i MTX, 2007 Jeep Commander 4x4

Comment

We folloiwed that write up. And i must say this.

Yes the parts about pedals, and the small stuff, unbolting the cross members, etc was fine.

But.

I will never pull just the tranny out. I followed that part of the directions, and it took us twice as long to pull just the tranny, as it did to pull the motor and MTX out of the donor car. And we still had to pull the engine out in the end.

Also does not tell you about the wiring. I had a MTX harness on the new engine. That did not plug in to all the connections. Also, i would have just pulled all the harnesses out of the donor car and swapped those to, to keep the problems i have now from happening.

Yes it was a good write up, and yes i had it next to me. But we set it aside a little into the project and figured it out.

03.5 Protege 5 ZE Swap coming very very soon
          02 MPV big dad pimp edition with baby seat mod.
          http://images.geekazoids.net/sig_copy9.jpg

Comment

the swap went pretty good for me, yes I do agree, pulling the whole engine would be alot faster doing the swap, thier really is not much more to do to pull the engine out, as for the wireing, it was a little tricky but it works, it was a good mod for sure, what do you think of your car now with the swap

Comment

- 2 bolts(14mm) to take off intermediate shaft(shaft is between the tranny and pass. side axle)

The above part of the procedure needs a little update.
              It it actually 3 bolts on the shaft. I do not know if that is on all cars, but that was definatelly the deal on my 93.

I also did not use a jack to hold the engine up, it was simple to let it tilt down and the ATX came off quite easily.

my 2 cents to better a good post.
              '93 Black on Black with Black Leather GT
              PARTING OUT PROBE
              Parting Out Probe
              18"x8" SSR GT1 with Tires 4 Sale

Comment

It has already been mentioned in my post that 93 has a 3 bolt intermediate shaft and 95+ has a 2 bolt shaft. In my case(95) it was a 2 bolt shaft. There's nothing wrong.

2002 audi a4 quattro- snowmobile!
                1996 Mazda Mx-6 M-edition- New Toy!
                1988 mx6 gt-Looking for a replacement engine
                1991 Mazda miata

Comment

Originally posted by Chunchoy45
                  It has already been mentioned in my post that 93 has a 3 bolt intermediate shaft and 95+ has a 2 bolt shaft. In my case(95) it was a 2 bolt shaft. There's nothing wrong.
                  I realized that after i posted. Cool though.
                  PARTING OUT PROBE
                  Parting Out Probe

Comment

Hey this writeup is great. I am almost done with the swap. I need assistance.

First, there are two switches on the clutch pedal assembly. I cannot find the wireing for them in the car. I am thinking, if the two are interconnected somehow, and then to the main harness, then someone may have just removed it.

Second, there are three sensors on the trany, one is the VSS on top, i got that connected. One is on the bottlom pass side, i think that is the reverse light switch. And the other is the park neutral switch on the driver side. Can anyone confirm this. And if possible can anyone tell me where they connect to. Thanx in advance.
                    PARTING OUT PROBE
                    Parting Out Probe

Comment

Originally posted by SLICKGT1
                      Hey this writeup is great. I am almost done with the swap. I need assistance.

First, there are two switches on the clutch pedal assembly. I cannot find the wireing for them in the car. I am thinking, if the two are interconnected somehow, and then to the main harness, then someone may have just removed it.

Second, there are three sensors on the trany, one is the VSS on top, i got that connected. One is on the bottlom pass side, i think that is the reverse light switch. And the other is the park neutral switch on the driver side. Can anyone confirm this. And if possible can anyone tell me where they connect to. Thanx in advance.
                      Electrical
                      -Plug in harnesses in tranny area.
                      -Plug in vehicle speed sensor.
                      -Don’t plug in reverse light switch.. To resolve that, use the 2 wires from the reverse light switch, plug into the to the 1 and 4 for continuity( for the harness in the illustraion below)
                      -Use 2 wires and jump 6 and 9 to trick the comp, so you can start the car.
                      -2-3 harnesses do not plug into anything, just leave it

The orange harness that looks like this:
                      ------------
                      |1 2 3 4 5|
                      |6 7 _ 8 9|
                      -----------

I only know of the reverse light switch on the front of the MTX closer to the rad, the sensor in the back closer to the firewall is the VSS, the VSS just plugs right in. The reverse light on the front can be wired in with the intructions above.

HINT
                      ------------
                      |1 2 3 4 5|
                      |6 7 _ 8 9|
                      ------------
                      ^^^^^^think of this as a mirrior image, I wired it up wrong untill I thought of it as a mirrior image

As for the two switches on the clutch pedal, one of them is the neutral safty(AKA, clutch pedal safty switch) From factory you need to press the clutch down to start the car, this can be wired in to that switch from pin 6 and pin 9 from the instructions above.
                      The other switch is for the cruise controle kick off, all you have to do is wire this up in series to the cruise kick off from the switch off the brake pedal. SO, if you dont wire that up, if your on cruise and press on the clutch, your RPM's will sky rocket. It was a little scary the first time I did that.

Comment

Thanx for the reply. But there is another switch on the trany. Its on the bottom-back-pass side of the tranny. There were two green wires comming out of it. There was no connections on it, the guy who sent it to me just clipped it off. I unscrewed it from the tranny and there is a ball type push botton from the inside. What the hell is that, and where does it connect.
                        PARTING OUT PROBE
                        Parting Out Probe

Comment

oh and another question. Is it ok to rip the ATX computer out of there? I did that yesterday and just want to make sure.
                          PARTING OUT PROBE
                          Parting Out Probe

Comment

Originally posted by SLICKGT1
                            oh and another question. Is it ok to rip the ATX computer out of there? I did that yesterday and just want to make sure.

yeah, It wont hurt anything, soory that I dont know about the other switch though

Comment

Ok everyone thanx a bunch for all of your help. I wired up the clutch start switch to the orange harness in the engine bay, pin 6 and 9. Now the car starts only when the clutch is depressed.

The ATX computer i ripped out.

Now a friend of mine is comming over today, he is going to make me custom connectors in the engine bay to replace the orange wire harness with ones that i can connect and remove any time.

And the car fired up like a beast, with no engine codes and no OD light.

Thanx to all again, especially this great write-up.

Oh there is another thread that i was using to get suggestions, here is the link just in case someone needs anything.

http://www.probetalk.com/forums/show...did=1701052099
                              PARTING OUT PROBE
                              Parting Out Probe

Comment

you should shorten your sig to 3 or 4 lines, hope I'm not talking out of turn mods

Anyways, did you find out what the 3rd switch is

Comment

Working...
                                X