A couple questions on LEDA suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions on LEDA suspension

I tried a search over at the old PT but couldn't really find any answers.

First, I was thinking about getting the non-adjustable kit for $1000. What is the spring rates and lengths, and the damping rates of the shocks? Are the springs the same as in the 24 way adjustable kit?

Second, would I be able to get custom spring rates, lengths, and damper rates at all?

Third, what is the dynamic difference between gas and oil shocks?

Fourth, how much would the standard non-adjustable kit lower the car? I know that's not the point of the kit but I'd like to be able to slam it if I wanted to.

I emailed LEDA America and they sent me some stuff but it wasn't very useful, and I don't really feel like talking to an answering machine. Anyways, thanks for all your help.
    '93 red MX-6 V-6 MTX
    Ground Control coil-overs, KYB gas struts, Eurolite Xenon bulbs, white powdercoated oem RX7 16X8 rims, Bridgestone Potenza RE71 245/45/ZR16, NGK plug wires, PRD shortshifter, Momo shift knob, custom 2.5" cat-back piping, Arospeed DTM tip muffler.

The spring rates and lengths are all custom, you tell them what you want. Likewise for the damping rate of the shocks. These are not off-the-shelf parts, each set is custom made for the person ordering them. They'll suggest appropriate settings when you tell them about your car and driving style.
    -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun
    17x8" BBS RC/Leda 24-way adj. coilovers/Hye-Dra-Cyl Big Brakes: Wilwood 4-piston calipers+12.2x1.25" rotors/RRE FSTB/Top-End Racing FW/MazdaSpeed-Quaife LSD/65mm TB/Autophysics CAI/Groundz/Bi-Xenon HID headlamps/Euro Clear-corners+amber LEDs/Blazer amber fogs/JVC KDMX3000+CHX1200/Pioneer 6x9s/BCT7 Scanner/etc...

Comment

I priced out the nonadjustables several months back when that bulk buy was trying to form up. With the BB discount the price was over 1200$ so make sure your including everthibng your going to need to do this. LEDA was't very clear about "extra" things and they add up quick.

Comment

If it costs a lot more, I wouldn't pay extra for gas.......the oil in today's struts is a lot better than it used to be.

I'm also not sure I would get nonadjustable dampers.......They don't know the corner weights of your car, so they don't know what the best ratio of front-to-rear damping should be to give you the correct understeer/oversteer balance. At least that's my suspicion. Sure, they'll customize the damping to match the spring correctly, but how do they know how the car itself is balanced, and what its understeer/oversteer tendancies are? If you do any racing, you'll want to be able to adjust them (in my opinion).

Will, can you pass on anything you got from them? A few months ago they gave me a spreadsheet showing the prices, but that's all. Did you get something else?

Comment

Alls I got was the spread sheet too. Plus I don't have Excel so a fat lot of good that did me.

I though the under/oversteer balance of the car had more to do with the spring rates that the damper rates. Am I wrong? Is the corner weights all they need to calibrate it correctly? That prob wouldn't be too hard to find out. I think Julian has that on his site, if not he probably knows anyways.

'93 red MX-6 V-6 MTX
          Ground Control coil-overs, KYB gas struts, Eurolite Xenon bulbs, white powdercoated oem RX7 16X8 rims, Bridgestone Potenza RE71 245/45/ZR16, NGK plug wires, PRD shortshifter, Momo shift knob, custom 2.5" cat-back piping, Arospeed DTM tip muffler.

Comment

No, corner weights vary on every car......depending on its options, the driver's weight, and the straightness of the frame.

As for oversteer/understeer, your'e correct that springs affect that more so than struts, but the stiffness of the struts does affect how FAST the weight will transfer when lifting off the gas, thereby enabling you to influence how it behaves

Comment

do the leda coilovers come with pillow ball mounts? do they allow you to adjust the camber from there? anyone know? i want to get some high performance coilovers and these really are the only ones available... my friend with a wrx got some tiens and they are super cool.
              my email address is NOT working!

Comment

Not that I'm aware of ---- when they sent me the item sheet it listed only the springs, dampers, adjusters, and hats.

The assumtion is that you would either use your OEM strut mounts & bearings (assuming that they are compatible with the LEDA's upper hat in the first place). Or, you could buy some Cusco camber plates.....Howard (hyc GTS) did that with his LEDAs

Comment

The LEDA strut top requires you to bore out the stock strut mount. The stock strut has a "D" shaped outline, the LEDA is a regular circular strut. Once you do this, you can't change your mind and go back to the stock struts...
                  17x8" BBS RC/Leda 24-way adj. coilovers/Hye-Dra-Cyl Big Brakes: Wilwood 4-piston calipers+12.2x1.25" rotors/RRE FSTB/Top-End Racing FW/MazdaSpeed-Quaife LSD/65mm TB/Autophysics CAI/Groundz/Bi-Xenon HID headlamps/Euro Clear-corners+amber LEDs/Blazer amber fogs/JVC KDMX3000+CHX1200/Pioneer 6x9s/BCT7 Scanner/etc...

Comment

Originally posted by hyc GTS
                    The LEDA strut top requires you to bore out the stock strut mount. The stock strut has a "D" shaped outline, the LEDA is a regular circular strut. Once you do this, you can't change your mind and go back to the stock struts...
                    so says this board's ONLY known user of leda springs.

ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Originally posted by dmark101

so says this board's ONLY known user of leda springs.

There's a guy in Ohio with them too. Though I haven't seen it, I believe others have. I won't believe it until my own eyes gander upon it.
                      -Chris C.
                      Cadillac ATS 3.6L AWD

Comment

Originally posted by hyc GTS
                        If it doens't have a D-shaped shaft, how does the mount hold it tight enough to prevent it from turning when you steer? That's the whole purpose of the factory D-shape. BTW nice to hear from you again!

Comment

I would love to see some pics of the camber plate/LEDA set-up if I could Howard....please jakesnake71@yahoo when you get time. I am getting some cusco camber plates here soon and I want to go with LEDA in the future(hope for next spring) I have GC(race rate) with Tokico 5 ways now. I am a serious autox/ laping day road racer and I want to go faster! I believe the Rafi has LEDA's also!

Jake
                          Old Prober!!! Woot

Comment

I have soo been interested in the LEDA stuff... this post is cool as hell, I prolly will save my money after I get the car running to get some serious handlage... problem is I don't even know where to start .

Comment

I'm embarrassed to say, I've had my LEDA install pix online for two years but they were never accessible because I didn't create an index page for them. Anyway, I've now created an index page so you can get to the pictures....

http://home.attbi.com/~hyc_sub1/struts/

As I said, these pix are from two years ago, before I got the camber plates. I'll add some new pix later; I have a lot of housekeeping to do first. Looks like my brake install pix never got online either.

Comment

Working...
                              X