Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old January 9th, 2018, 12:13 PM   #1
BLUEnoEQ

Crank cradle swapping

Can we do it? Or is that like swapping cam caps?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:41 PM   #2
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
Can we do it? Or is that like swapping cam caps?
You can -but then you will need a line bore. Yes it is like swapping cam caps around. The bores are only good with the parts that were bored originally. No two bores have the same alignment (unless by pure luck).

-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

KLZE Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:05 AM   #3
BLUEnoEQ

Fudge... much easier to drill out and re-tap the broken flange bolts then. Thank you!

Edit: Pure luck... I remember that movie, The bee sting scene by itself was hilarious.

Last edited by BLUEnoEQ; January 10th, 2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old March 5th, 2018, 04:51 PM   #4
MSDKLZE
Turbo Junkie

Holy crap. I have multiple blocks taken apart and couldnt figure out why my gut was telling me not to randomly assemble an engine from them. Now I know why.

If you were to put two pieces together that were not of the same pair, is it possible to tell by feel or by sight if they would be compatible?

MSDKLZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #5
BLUEnoEQ

Can you tell the different block parts go with each other by exterior corrosion/dirt level? I don't think I could mix up my 3 KLs, if they were all disassembled and in the same room.

Old March 6th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #6
mac1
Probe has-been

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDKLZE View Post
Holy crap. I have multiple blocks taken apart and couldnt figure out why my gut was telling me not to randomly assemble an engine from them. Now I know why.

If you were to put two pieces together that were not of the same pair, is it possible to tell by feel or by sight if they would be compatible?
Seen this happen with rear differential bearing caps getting mixed. Left from right and top/bottom. So I came to the rescue with bore guage and after measuring every direction I could. I figured it out.

2014 Factory Five 818s EJ255t
Not worthy enough to own a Probe anymore
mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 08:24 PM   #7
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

I would try to mate "fingerprints" to match uppers to lowers. Sometimes the oil leaves distinct prints between the pieces and on very few occasions -you can match up the stain "fingerprints".

Also -as previously mentioned -you might be able to match exteriors by the level of build-up, discolorations, corrosion etc. If you can narrow it down by a few -then for the last few as Mac has said -bolt em up, torque em and then mic em!

As some good advise -I ALWAYS put a couple of bolts into the pairs before storing them so that they never get mixed up.

-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

KLZE Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote