Myrtle "Eleven."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrtle "Eleven."

Before I get too deep into this, I'd like to thank every person who ever attended Myrtle any time from 1998 on through 2007. It'd be really impossible to figure out exactly how many individual people attended at one time or another over the course of our decade, but I'm sure each and every one of them has some memories that they'll never forget. It was for the creation and charity of those memories that Ken, Jason & I (along with our many crew members) poured our souls into Myrtle for each of the last 120-Plus months.

Myrtle Madness was my 20's. I was two weeks shy of my 21st birthday when 28 of us sat down in the back room at the Hard Rock Cafe on 11/14/98 for the big group dinner of Myrtle Madness '98. I think I still have somewhere the piece of notebook paper that we passed around onto which everyone wrote their names and email addresses. Today I'm two weeks shy of turning 30, and am only a few days removed from our having an entire Planet Hollywood franchise closed early for us to have our final Myrtle Madness awards ceremony. For a third of my life, I've lived for Myrtle.

And now, it's over. And I'm at peace with that.

As Ken referenced - "and now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain. .."

I'd like to change that just a bit and say "and now, the end is here."

I've seen many threads about "what about next year?" "We want Eleven!!" Frankly, it makes me happier than I could possibly explain to know that we've created this kind of love within people that they want nothing more than to come back again next year. It's that knowledge that has kept us doing this for as long as we have. With that being said though, we're finished. I'm not really choked up; where others may have gotten misty during Jordan's closing comments, I mostly felt pride in the accomplishment. I know what only a very, very few people know - exactly how much has been personally invested in all of this over the years.

The only three of us who made it to each and every Myrtle are the same three of us who, from the very beginning, assembled every Myrtle by hand. There's an intense level of personal ownership that we feel in the entire concept of the meet, and believe me when I say it was VERY hard for us to decide that this was going to be the last one. We promised ourselves when we made the final judgment that we would not renegotiate with ourselves, and I think we're all quite content with the end result.

We ask humbly: if you truly love and appreciate that which Myrtle Madness was, you respect our decision to let it be over.

To all of you who have asked the Core Creators about continuing the meet, who have graciously offered to lead Myrtle going forward, we are flattered, thankful, and excited. You would have our utmost support and our total cooperation, so long as you respect what I wrote just above: let Myrtle Madness be finished.

When Myrtle began, there was no tradition in any other meet, and while what we began has had an amazing run, we truly and firmly believe that it's time for a new tradition. We ask that if there is to be a NEW national Probe Owner's meet, that who ever decides to organize it chooses three new things. #1 - a new location, #2 - a new time of year and #3 - a new name. All we ask of your starting a new meet is: Not Myrtle Beach, Not November, not "***** Madness."

It's been a wild, wild ride for me. My life as I know it now is absolutely nothing like I thought it would be when I graduated high school. Myrtle, and the community of people it represents, has changed everything. No part of my life has not been affected by my dedication to the Kingdom of Probe and to the legacy that was created at Myrtle Madness '98. I still have a Probe, and by God, I want someone to create a new meet that will make me get it out of the garage and have it there on display. I know there is spirit and fire still in this community, it was out for the world to see this past weekend. I really would like for a new group of people to take the initiative to harness that spirit and begin something new. I'm pulling for you, and I can't wait to attend whatever the new meet is next year.

Thanks to each and every last one of you for making my life what it is, and thank you for being a part of Myrtle Madness - The Best Decade of Your Life.

Greg Martin
    1990 Probe LX
    1992 Probe LX
    1993 Mazda MX6 LS
    1994 Mazda MX6 LS
    Greg Martin
    2009 BMW 328i
    2017 BMW X3
    1990 Probe LX

That was very moving man. I know there has been a LOT of sacrifice for you and the other creators of MM. 10 straight years is a long time for a car meet, especially for a car that went out of production before the first Myrtle took place. I was only able to attend two Myrtles but they are some of my best memories of my life. Not only that but my first Myrtle, honest to god, changed my life. By chance I met some people there who helped me to turn my life from depressing and having very few friends around me, to being excited and having a reason to get out of bed every day. It helped to turn my life completely around. I now have friends that are so close that they are like family to me, and I owe all this to the creators of MM. Me as well as a few others in my poc are planning on going down to Myrtle Beach next year one last time, at the same time, and same place as past Myrtles, but not to try to continue the greatest Probe meet in the world, but to remember the greatness that was Myrtle Madness.
    Jim K.
    :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Well said sir.

July? Camping? See you there.
      Stephen Wilds #303
      PhotoPOC
      BMW 328i
      BMW Z4

Comment

........... brb...........
        ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
        ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
        ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by supergoat
          Well said sir.

Hocking Hills is "THE" probe meet now.

Comment

Words. See you on the ship next year
            Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
            PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
            1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
            1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

Comment

Originally posted by supergoat
              Well said sir.

I'll be there again.
              Adam Kirkpatrick
              1994 Ford Probe GT-T - Built for me, by me, 265whp
              2010 Ford Fusion SEL - Wife's daily driver . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 - Daily driver
              1997 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 - Work truck, wrapped, on 20's . . . 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon - Work car

Comment

The cars will be sold, they will be all but forgotten, but I'll be damned if this group ever dies.

That's why I have not been able to leave, even if I wanted to. I've yet to meet a larger, better, more caring and unbelievably fun group of people in my life. It pleases me just to be a part of it.

Greg, well said. I'm eagerly waiting, anticipating the next chapter.
                Last edited by Domino81; November 16, 2007, 10:06 AM.
                Anthony D. Christiano

Comment

Originally posted by Domino81
                  The cars will be sold, the will be all but forgotten
                  Speak for yourself sir
                  Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
                  PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
                  1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
                  1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

Comment

Hocking hills is getting bigger.

Sucks i only made it to mm4.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDart
                      10 straight years is a long time for a car meet, especially for a car that went out of production before the first Myrtle took place.
                      Wow I never stopped to think about that. That's pretty crazy; the first Myrtle occurred well after the last car rolled off the production line. If that's not hardcore dedication, I don't know what is.
                      2006 Nautical Blue Scion tC

1989 Metallic Midnight Garnet PGT --> Swiftus Maximus Swift no longer...

myspace/tjbartjr

Comment

hocking hills it is....see you boys there!!
                        93gt 230k dd.
                        1993 probe gt
                        96 pgt 135k dd
                        http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...100_3918-1.jpg

Comment

Amen.
                          ~Mrs. Kylie Phreakintheroom
                          '96 Black Probe GT - Off to a new home and is greatly missed. It was a good 11 years.
                          '10 Black Mitsu Ralliart
                          '01 Black YZF600R Thundercat
                          NPA! Angel #3, NEPO member, FPOC calendar model August 2004/March 2005/October 2009/September 2010

Comment

For some reason I think Nashville Nights '09 has good ring to it. Dont ask me why, it just got stuck in my mind today.
                            Adam Kirkpatrick
                            1994 Ford Probe GT-T - Built for me, by me, 265whp
                            2010 Ford Fusion SEL - Wife's daily driver . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 - Daily driver
                            1997 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 - Work truck, wrapped, on 20's . . . 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon - Work car

Comment

Nashville nights? I like it. I'm there. Any ideas on where in Nashville? Im in knoxville so I can definatly help with the organizing. Or better yet....PIGEON FORGE!!!! Let me think ..I'll get back to you.
                              "I come from a very big family, nine parents."

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story"

Comment

Working...
                              X