Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erratic rpm after starting engine several times

Hi guys,
    I decided to make another thread after my stalling problem.
    I am still unable to find the problem.

My probe starts normal, and runs/idles fine. If after 10 min I shut the engine of and start again it suddenly doesn’t want to start or takes a while before it does start. When it finally starts and I give some gas and let go of the gas-pedal, the rpm’s go all over the place. When it calms down it drops to 0 rpm and looks like the engine is off and then suddenly it comes back to 500 rpm and it keeps doing this a while.
    I also had this happening when stopping for traffic lights, and car didn’t want to start at all.
    I had to be towed 2 times now. After some time, I could start again and drive.
    I replaced the Crank position sensor and ECT sensor but problem still persists.
    Also, the ECU doesn’t show any codes.
    I am (still) at a loss…
    Any idea’s?
    Kick down and smile!
    Ford Probe 1994 2,5L v6 KLZE J-Spec (kl36ecu je50 VAF) Black, Cold air induction kit, Oil catch can protege 5,

Was the distributor changed yet? Coil getting hot? These distributors flat out suck. I have 4 of them laying around and a PGT I can't even move blocking my driveway now due to another shit distributor.. That is on a 95 and from what I understand the 93 and 94 are even worse. If you had verified no vac leaks and pcv valve is working correctly I myself would suspect the damn pos disty. My next PGT I'm about to pick up as soon as its disty goes it will not get another one. MS will be going to a crapless ignition setup. I would start there at this point.
    1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
    2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
    99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Hi Level 9, Distributor not changed yet. since I did some testing that didn't show distributor problems (and very expensive here to get one..) I just spoke to an electro guy who said it might be the mass(earth) cable. I didn't thought of that. My mass points seems bit rusty maybe I should try fix that first. Is there a way to check if pcv valves works correctly? You need to have an ample supply of nerves with these cars..dont we..
      thanks
      Kick down and smile!
      Ford Probe 1994 2,5L v6 KLZE J-Spec (kl36ecu je50 VAF) Black, Cold air induction kit, Oil catch can protege 5,

Comment

Lol yes we do. For the pcv I wouldn't think that is the issue but for $2 I'd just change it so you know your vac is all working correctly. These disty problems had me not even wanting to mess with another one for a bit. Check over the grounds and no these distributors are not cheap, so considering I have about a cars cost in distributors laying around it's not cool. Next setup will be distributorless for sure.

I hope everything straightens out for you. Worst case of it came down to swapping the disty and if it were not the problem odds are it will be a good thing to have in the trunk since they are prone to failure if you do plan on holding on to the car for awhile.
        1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
        2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
        99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

If you find out it is not your distributor, plugs, or wires..... then check your timing and ensure that the car didn't jump timing. Put the #1 Cyl at TDC and Physically check your timing marks at the crank. The timing tensioners go bad on these cars all the time and cause the timing to jump a tooth. Also, for the expensive distributers issue, have you considered doing the GM HEI mod? Look it up. OR you could get an after market coil (MSD) Put in, that would solve your Distributer problems for good.
          93 PGT- street/track build KLZE, All Go no show! Cracked block repairs in progress.
          95 PGT- Daily Driver KLDE, body kit, 18in rims, cai, dual exhaust, plugs and wires.
          96 PGT- Turbo Project KLZE, will be both Show AND GO!
          1998 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Street/Strip project. if you wanna know whats under the hood come and find out!

Comment

$5 on disty. They fail when they get hot. stick a timing light on a cyl when the problem occurs to confirm you have reliable spark.
            Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
            Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
            Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Is fuel pressure good?

When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter and/or fuel pressure regulator?

Comment

sounds like a distributor problems to me..
                93 Probe gt- ,15.37 1/4 mile at mph 85 ** 5/24/03 14.71 SOLD
                1994 gt -klze,I/h/e/fly/ignition/kl31 ecu,colt210/210 cams Rip 2/13/08(blackice)
                92 mx3gs,ze swap from my probe 15.0@96mph :-( 175hp&155tq
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396402

Comment

Distributor. Get one. If for some strange miracle it's not, you'll have one for the eventuality of when it definitely is.
                  Probe out for Harambe
                  94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Originally posted by illcool View Post
                    ......Also, for the expensive distributers issue, have you considered doing the GM HEI mod? Look it up. OR you could get an after market coil (MSD) Put in, that would solve your Distributer problems for good.
                    I would also second the GM HEI mod if a disty issue is what turns out to be the problem.

Made that change to my '94 GT over 10 years ago (even though my disty was not causing any issues at the time), and have had no issues since then.

Relatively inexpensive for all the required parts compared to buying a replacement disty, and fairly easy to complete too.

That said, I've had similar intermittent running issues to what you described in your first post on other vehicles over the years, and those instances turned out to be fuel related (failing mechanical fuel pumps and/or clogged fuel filters).

Comment

Another vote for disty! If not disty -then IAC. Both are expensive. But the disty is more likely to be your issue.
                      Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 6, 2018, 06:20 PM.
                      Success is a measure of determination!
                      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                      Restoration of a legend

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys,
                        I changed fuel filter yday and no change. Even after few minutes, its stalling on its own and when I added some gas, rpm's went haywire..
                        So you all convinced me to order a new disty..lol. Now waiting till it arrives.
                        I have a question about the disty though, I noticed on the disty cap that the firing order is (clockwise) 4,5,3,2,1,6 I read that some other ZE's had different ones.. Is this correct?

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Originally posted by Silverprobe View Post
                        I would also second the GM HEI mod if a disty issue is what turns out to be the problem.

Made that change to my '94 GT over 10 years ago (even though my disty was not causing any issues at the time), and have had no issues since then.

Relatively inexpensive for all the required parts compared to buying a replacement disty, and fairly easy to complete too.

That said, I've had similar intermittent running issues to what you described in your first post on other vehicles over the years, and those instances turned out to be fuel related (failing mechanical fuel pumps and/or clogged fuel filters).
                        I'm not sure if I dare to do this myself.. But yes, would be nice to get these disty problems of my ass for once... lol
                        Kick down and smile!

Comment

Originally posted by MightyMike View Post
                          I'm not sure if I dare to do this myself.. But yes, would be nice to get these disty problems of my ass for once... lol
                          Honestly, that hardest part of the job once all of the parts were accumulated was fabricating a piece of metal to act as a mount/heat-sink for the ignition module and deciding on where to locate it in the engine bay. I chose the metal bracket between the battery and the fuse box.

After that, it was simply a matter of getting everything connected and modifying the current distributor to bypass the internal ignitor (which is usually the main cause of issues with these distys anyway).

For the wiring that I spliced into the stock harnesses, I used a male/female 5-prong trailer harness, one end to the disty, the other to the HEI module, with their connecting plugs meeting at the air intake tube next to the battery making for an easy disconnect point when I need to remove the air intake tubing and air filter box.

All I know at this point is that about $35 US dollars in parts is sure better than whatever replacement distys cost these days, especially a disty that's more than likely prone at some point to having the same problems as the one just replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverprobe View Post
                            Honestly, that hardest part of the job once all of the parts were accumulated was fabricating a piece of metal to act as a mount/heat-sink for the ignition module and deciding on where to locate it in the engine bay. I chose the metal bracket between the battery and the fuse box.

After that, it was simply a matter of getting everything connected and modifying the current distributor to bypass the internal ignitor (which is usually the main cause of issues with these distys anyway).

For the wiring that I spliced into the stock harnesses, I used a male/female 5-prong trailer harness, one end to the disty, the other to the HEI module, with their connecting plugs meeting at the air intake tube next to the battery making for an easy disconnect point when I need to remove the air intake tubing and air filter box.

All I know at this point is that about $35 US dollars in parts is sure better than whatever replacement distys cost these days, especially a disty that's more than likely prone at some point to having the same problems as the one just replaced.
                            Thanks for explaining, maybe Ill look up some guys that could give me a hand with this when I decide to go the HEI way..
                            Kick down and smile!

Comment

Don't wait too long erratic idle destroyed my crankshaft key and key way under the crank pulley.
                              Probe out for Harambe
                              94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Working...
                              X