Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the size and pitch of the oil filter threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the size and pitch of the oil filter threads?

I'm trying to get a sandwich adapter, would this one work?

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...?part=TRD-1358

I searched but it seems all the threads about an external oil cooler setup have been deleted or something.
    2007 Audi RS4
    Past: '05 Audi S4, '88 626 turbo, '93 red PGT, '94 white PGT, '95 Purple PGT, '95 Red PGT, '00 MGT, '07 Mazdaspeed3
    The mom's car: White on black GTS, 5 speed, tint.

they haven't been deleted. the search function SUCKS these days.

it's M20x1.5

this is the more popular adapter, but isn't in stock all the time like the one you posted probably is
    http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...p?part=prm-186
    Last edited by spada; July 5, 2005, 05:07 PM.
    1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
    2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
    2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

hmm What are you doing now. Ill watch this way if I have to.
      94Gt Ze Rio red,afpr,borla, sts,EIBACHS
      ,gray->black int, mx6 leather,
      need rio red sideskirts yesterday
      Ze isnt rice its from JAP its a rice eater
      My car is finally in the garage again

Comment

Thanks Ben I searched until I realized that something must have been wrong with the search function because I wasn't getting ANY results for things like "filter adapter" "sandwich adapter" "oil cooler" etc.

I chose to go with TRD-1358 because I did look at the Perma Cool adapter but it didn't say that it has a built in thermostat or pressure sensor that allows the oil to go to the radiator only when it reaches the right temperature/pressure. The Trans-Dapt one that I ordered says that it has it. I have the other parts, just needed this adapter.

Joe - I'm not doing anything crazy. Just wanted to get the oil cooler setup done and installed, I've had the radiator for it since Hocking Hills last year.
        2007 Audi RS4
        Past: '05 Audi S4, '88 626 turbo, '93 red PGT, '94 white PGT, '95 Purple PGT, '95 Red PGT, '00 MGT, '07 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

that's not a thermostatic valve Will. that's just a small valve that will make sure that oil goes through the oil filter. it pretty much acts like the oil filters bypass valve, and will open up if the pressure differential is too high, or if the oil is just too thick, it will bypass the cooler. the permacool's also have that.

you picked a good one, definitely, i'm just stating this for future reference, just to make sure people don't think that the one you linked to has a thermostat in it. oil thermostat's alone cost 40 dollars

i could totally be wrong though, because some of the derale oil coolers come with a thermostatic sandwich adapter. so i won't completely rule out the trans-dapt.

here's the link to their adapters and such...
          http://www.tdperformance.com/pdfs/21...ionsection.pdf

ok, time for bed
          Last edited by spada; July 5, 2005, 08:39 PM.
          2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
          2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Well I just called them and he said that it is actually thermostatically controlled. But, it opens up at around 100 degrees, it does this to prevent cold startup damage so that it pressurizes the oil filter first and the whole engine before it slowly starts opening the valve to allow oil to flow through the cooler.

Sounds good to me That's what I'm looking for.
            2007 Audi RS4

Comment

oh, sweet! that's a nice sandwich adapter.
              2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
              2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Ok, now can anyone tell me the size and pitch of the allen plug in the block on the radiator side that's right next to the transmission? I want to put a oil temperature sending unit in there.
                2007 Audi RS4

Comment

Will... i have an oil temperature gauge there right now, the autometer one threads right in. i just forget if it needs the adapter that it comes with or not. either way, it's so close to a 3/8 NPT, but it's the metric version. i've used the autometer one on two motors now, and it threads right in, plenty of threads, and it's nice and snug, leak free
                  2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                  2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Oh, sweet. However, I bought a digital Cyberdyne one with a 1/8 NPT thread sending unit. It'll probably come with an adapter, eh Ben?
                    2007 Audi RS4

Comment

hopefully. if not, the local Home Depot or Lowes are guaranteed to have the female-male 1/8" to 3/8" fitting that you need.

The autometer also comes as an 1/8 NPT" sender
                      2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                      2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Yes, 1/8 NPT should do it. I just got done messing with all of that this past weekend for my oil temp. Whatever fittings I needed, I found no problem at Lowes.

Later
                        Wes
                        ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
                        No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
                        ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

Comment

Sweet, thanks guys.
                          2007 Audi RS4

Comment

Since the search isn't working worth a shit, and since there is some good info in this thread, can we get this archived?
                            ~Aaron~
                            1993 Silver PGT MTX ~~R.I.P~5/7/14

Comment

Sounds like a good idea
                              2007 Audi RS4

Comment

Working...
                              X