engine stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine stalls

I got some weird issue which I am not sure what the cause is.
    I was driving and suddenly my rpm's went up and then came back. I didn't thought much of it at the time.
    I parked, went to see someone and came back and drove of.
    After a few minutes, rpm went up again and then instantly dropped down, on the middle of a busy road. No fun, I tell you that!
    Car didnt wanted to start right away. After a few minutes the car started and all seemed well again.
    I drove of and about 20 sec later rpm's up and instant down and up and down till the engine stalled again.
    Some guy who saw me struggling was so kind to tow me home..
    Next day, (today) I cleaned my oil catch can since I thought it might be full (which it was a bit) I thought the contents might be blown back into engine giving me this issue.. After clean and reinstalling I drove to my parents (short distance) all went well. I parked and I left engine on and after few minutes while I was reving the engine, same thing happend. Rpm's dropped to 0 and engine stopped.. After few minutes engine starts fine.
    I left the car for few hours and drove back home later. Seems this issue will pop up when engine gets to certain temperature.
    Its kinda looks like a distributor failure but I am not sure.. (i'm no expert..)
    Does someone have a clue what the problem might be?
    I dont feel safe to drive now.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Kick down and smile!
    Ford Probe 1994 2,5L v6 KLZE J-Spec (kl36ecu je50 VAF) Black, Cold air induction kit, Oil catch can protege 5,

Atx or mtx? I once had an atx that did some weird stuff when the trans went bad the first time. Some symptoms seemed to be nonexistent until it got warm.

If it's loping at idle mind did that after I had my manifold and tb off which is caused from what I remember an air pocket in the coolant causes that but it resolved on its own I remember so I didn't do anything to correct that but drive it.

Other than that if it's an mtx car and the symptoms described does sound like it could possibly be the distributor but when mine failed it did not do this however.

What year is the car? Any codes/cel? Also I would check to see if the crank wire and end are clean/in good shape.
    1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
    2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
    99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

By rev up do you mean the car accelerates or rpms go up but the car stays the same speed? Is the vaf plug connected on there well? Vacuum leaks anywhere? Do you have a disconnected a/c compressor and are running the heater/defrost. Usually the ecu kicks a higher idle to compensate when the a/c compressor is supposed to be on, but if it's not actually turning on then it can cause a surge. Happened in my Jeep, also my Probe just not as pronounced in the Probe. Jeep actually almost hit the car in front of me because the surge pushed more strongly than I was holding the brake at a traffic light.
      Probe out for Harambe
      94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Originally posted by Level 9 View Post
        Atx or mtx? I once had an atx that did some weird stuff when the trans went bad the first time. Some symptoms seemed to be nonexistent until it got warm.

If it's loping at idle mind did that after I had my manifold and tb off which is caused from what I remember an air pocket in the coolant causes that but it resolved on its own I remember so I didn't do anything to correct that but drive it.

Other than that if it's an mtx car and the symptoms described does sound like it could possibly be the distributor but when mine failed it did not do this however.

What year is the car? Any codes/cel? Also I would check to see if the crank wire and end are clean/in good shape.
        thanks for your reply.
        Its a manual transmission probe from '95
        I had a distributor failure before some years ago but then car would shut of in an instant. I didn't pull any codes yet, on dashboard I only have my airbag code flashing. If i start when engine is cold it runs fine with stable idle to.
        I pulled the cap of from my coolant, let it idle when the coolant reached up I closed it again, this would make sure there aren't any air bubbles right?

I got some info from a guy I know who says its pretty sure the Crank Angle Position Sensor ..
        Could that be it?
        Last edited by MightyMike; November 23, 2017, 03:46 AM.
        Kick down and smile!
        Ford Probe 1994 2,5L v6 KLZE J-Spec (kl36ecu je50 VAF) Black, Cold air induction kit, Oil catch can protege 5,

Comment

Check the codes. If it's the crank position sensor, you should get a code for that.

https://forums.probetalk.com/showthr...p?t=1701015446
          Last edited by NickR; November 23, 2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

When my distributor went bad I believe I got the code 02 if I remember right but don't hold me to that. I'm also not sure if OBD I will give you a "pending" code like OBD II will but you could try to hook up ten and ground and see if it does spit out a code for ya. I think I remember someone on here having a very similar issue you are having that ended up being the distributor.

OBD II will store a code as pending and not illuminate the check engine light until the problem repeats itself, again I'm not sure if OBD I does this or not so I would definitely just try to see if anything is stored. Then try to do another quick search on here to see if that thread turns up. If it is losing track of the crank or cam signal it will definitely cause problems.

As for the coolant you should be alright. It would drive ok but do a very annoying loping idle.
            Last edited by Level 9; November 23, 2017, 06:55 PM.
            1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound

Comment

Update:

been a while before I was able to get a new cps sensor installed, I replaced it yesterday and so far it seems the problem went away. I didn't drive very long yet but I am optimistic I also have the feeling the whole engine runs smoother but that might be the same feeling when you wash your car it seems to drive better..lol

Thank you all for helping out
              Kick down and smile!

Comment

should have known not to put "its solved" answer so soon.. went to work this morning and I wanted to park, when I switched to reverse gear.. engine went of and didn't want to start again. Later, when I went home, I made it without any problems.. these probes have a will on its own....
                Kick down and smile!

Comment

Damn. I'm guessing, but it might be the engine coolant temperature sensor, or the distributor.
                  But you really need to check the codes.

Comment

Originally posted by NickR View Post
                    But you really need to check the codes.
                    Agreed. Too much guess work involved when you don't know if any codes are being generated.

Comment

I pulled the codes today but I will do again after a reset since 02 is still in it..which shouldn't since I replaced the sensor.
                      Now I got:
                      (and 46 but I know that solenoid is bad..)
                      Kick down and smile!

Comment

status after ecu reset

I left battery off for a day and did some checks the next day.
                        I noticed a bit of a loose wire at the ECT sensor (had to cut it in the past to replace it) I fixed it and then put the battery on and left the engine running for 20 min. After this I checked to codes again. Weirdly all codes were gone except the 46 which is not an issue.
                        I didn't drive with the car yet so I am not sure if some codes are only being generated while driving, since I only let the engine running so far..
                        I will try a test drive tomorrow.
                        Could my troubles be cause of a short circuited ect sensor?

Thanks
                        Mike
                        Kick down and smile!

Comment

If the ect sensor is defective on had faulty wiring if the pcm cannot read it should enter kind of a safe mode I do believe. I would take it for a short drive after correcting that and we can see from there.

Comment

ok, I drove for a short distance. Also went to park and reverse etc.
                            Came home ok. Then I went checking codes and still only the 46 and no others.
                            I decided to burp the coolant and when I was waiting for the coolant to come up, the engine (after few min) shutoff. I could not start, or start very shortly: rpms dropped to 0 and engine stopped. After few min it would start again and I finished the coolant burp.
                            Need to drive again this evening, lets see what happens.
                            Any input is very appreciated.
                            Kick down and smile!

Comment

Is the fuel pump dying out? I've never had to do any diagnostics on my pump yet so i don't have any good info for you on the procedure, but i'm sure a quick search will get all the info you need for testing that. My friends silverado had very similar issues to what you are describing just the other day and his issue wound up being the fuel pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X