Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old October 13th, 2002, 11:04 PM   #1
DJ-Anakin
pantless jedi

motor mounts

ok i checked www.autopartsgiant.com for motor mountsi just dont know which one to get. it lists this:

ANCHOR 8461 [Engine Mount] Rr. LH; AT; Includes GT Listing 56.95
ANCHOR 8073 [Engine Mount] Frt.; 5 Spd.; Includes GT Listing 68.68
ANCHOR 8456 [Engine Mount] Rr. LH; 5 Spd.; Includes GT Listing 56.95
ANCHOR 8459 [Engine Mount] Frt.; AT; Includes GT Listing 58.26

now, my problem is, when i press on the gas (doesnt matter what gear) the stick shifter moves. like say im in 2nd, and i press on the gas, the shifter moves, with the engine, i can tell, towards the rear of the car about 1 inch. so i figure its a motor mount. any guesses as to which one? how do i check? can i just get the poly inserts sold at __________ (cant remember right now)? or do i have to get the whole new mount and the inserts? cause if i dont ave to get the mount, itself, im not gonna. any help is appriciated. thanks.

-frank
Old October 14th, 2002, 01:50 AM   #2
Fantomas
Supercharged Member

If you can hear a loud bang when you power shift then you should replace your motor mounts. Shifter moving is the inditcation of motor mounts being there. Since you have a rod shifter, it is supposed to move. Just get inserts for performance benefits at RR Racing.
Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:41 AM   #3
probesport_gt
POC Mod

dont forget Rafi's inserts!!! They are the best thing ever!!

www.rr-racing.com
probesport_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #4
DJ-Anakin
pantless jedi

ok so how do i put in the new insert? should i get both front and back? i read that the back is a pita. should i just do front? which one is front? is it the one up top, by like the timing belt cover and hood-holder-upper? thanks again..

-frank
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:03 PM   #5
TakimanPGT
Donating Member

The front one is right by the exhaust as you peep down inbetween the radiator and the engine itself. And yes, the rear is a PITA. Getting both inserts will help a lot plus save you from destroying the rear if you don't get it. There is a good write-up in the archives up top by "halfriceboy".
TakimanPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:05 PM   #6
Tamas
Donating Member

Be careful with those Anchor mounts at AutoPartsGiant. I got a (supposedly correct) rear mount for the PGT (the 8456), and it does not even look close to the correct one so I sent it back to them. Told them to change the listing but they apparently did not. :x
If I were you, I'd do both the front and rear mounts. I had the front replaced with Rafi's poly mount and a year later, my rear mount was trashed, causing steering wheel vibrations and sloppy feel when shifting. I got my rear mount replaced with a poly-filled OEM Mazda mount and my problems are now fixed. I did the poly filling before handing the mount over to the shop and mine is not rock hard but very firm. I just used some grey poly caulking material from Home Depot, and it came out very well.
The OEM Mazda rear mount costs about $90 at the dealer IIRC.
And yes, putting in the rear mount is a pain to do - that's why I paid a shop to do it.
The front one is clearly visible down below the factory air intake S-piece (if you still have that). Easy to replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:32 PM   #7
AspitFire
Juiced Member

how much did that shop charge you to put it in...was is local like ma and pop shop, or like a pep boys or midas
2004 WRB WRX<~COBB Stage 2
AspitFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #8
Tamas
Donating Member

I will never go to midas because they are careless, incompetent crooks who on top are overcharging the customer for their crappy job :x
I had my share of bad experience with them.

It was a local shop and they did a very good job (got also other things taken care of at the same time). They were not cheap - I paid $230 for the labor to put the mount in - but I don't mind, seeing that doing it would take a lot of time and I'd fill up the swear jar real quickly

; sold

Old October 14th, 2002, 11:05 PM   #9
DJ-Anakin
pantless jedi

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamas
I'd fill up the swear jar real quickly [/B]
hehe..

my thermostat went bad the day before i was spossed to move back from louisiana here to cali, and i went to midas, they said they didnt have the correct one, and it would take 2 days to get it. i ended up having to drive all over shreveport lookin for one. asses.

so i checked out halfriceboy's how-to:

Quote:
Originally posted by halfriceboy
now, to do the rear engine mount:
1. jack up engine by oil pan to releive stress on rear mount. note: place the peice of wood between the jack and oil pan. do not jack near drain plug.
2. use a 17mm and remove the bolt that goes through the bushing. remove nut also. if the power steering line is in the way of the bolt, losen the line and set it aside. it's strong, use force to move it.
3. remove the 3 bolts on top of the mount. use a swivel if necessary to get to the bolts. they will be very tight.
4. the mount should just come out. look how crappy is is compared to the mazdaspeed one.
5. put the new mount back in and tighten everything. put the bolts halfway in, then put the bushing bolt through. then tighten the 3 top bolts.
6. put the powersteering line back on if it was removed.
7. after the IM is back on, add powersteering fluid.
anyone got anything to add? i dont like liftin the engine by the oil pan, and i dont have a hoist. any suggestions or am i stuck? thanks.

-frank
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:56 AM   #10
Fantomas
Supercharged Member

Nothing wrong with lifting the engine by the oil pan. Not like it's going to bend or anything.
Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:46 AM   #11
DJ-Anakin
pantless jedi

i just dont want to 'unseal' the gasket. cause then i gotta do that gasket. and im about tired of screwin with gaskets..

-frank
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:01 PM   #12
Tamas
Donating Member

Based on this description, it seems that halfriceboy replaced the rear mount from underneath the car. I thought that doesn't work and people do it via removing the intake to get at the bolts.

I should ask the shop how did they do it...

Either way, it still sounds like a p.i.t.a to me.

; sold

Old October 27th, 2002, 02:10 PM   #13
Erick161
PT Regular

I have a question. I have a bad front motor mount, i mean the thing shakes like a mother.

So, my friend told me that that bad motor mount is causing some of my bad performance numbers because its robbing me of power when the engine is being slushed around.

Is this accurate?!?! I need some quick info, thanks!!

-'01 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe 5speed. Black on Black/Gray Leather.
Erick161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2002, 03:05 PM   #14
DJ-Anakin
pantless jedi

ya thats about right. get yourself a new motor mount from the junkyard, or a mazda dealer (ford is way too expensive), and buy these http://rr-racing.com/engine-mounts.htm you should notice a huge difference.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #15
Hörnchenmeister
Slow Learner

Hey there!

Can anybody say if the ANCHOR 8456 Motormounts from Rockauto are the same as these from www.autopartsgiant.com?

Is the problem at autopartsgiant or Anchor?

I'm looking for new ones for my 93' PGT. (Rear one is most important!)

Thanks!

Lukas
Hörnchenmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #16
pugsrule
Donating User

Man you woke up a dinosaur thread here! The stock rear motor mount on a 93 will look different than the replacement one. The new one will bolt right up just fine(at least it did on mine) and the RR inserts work great with it.
'93 PGT black on black and loaded: Southbend Stage 2 TZ series clutch, MX3 flywheel, STS, CAI, headers, Magnaflow exhaust,Kenwood KDC-X792 deck, Infinity speakers, 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.0 subs, MTX 2300 Thunder and Sony amps...
Like Probes, 'Stangs, Guitars or Pugs? Check out my photobucket!

pugsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #17
1fastATX
Search Impaired

I'm surprised that no one suggested AWR mounts...I guess if you are not going forced induction then the extra strengh is not needed.
1fastATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #18
klde94
Balls Across The Nose

I love my AWR mounts!

you should buy the AWR and call it a day!
klde94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #19
1fastATX
Search Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by klde94 View Post
I love my AWR mounts!

you should buy the AWR and call it a day!
I love mine too
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #20
94mx6lsze
Supercharged Member

If you want a good set of mounts and you don't mind spending a few bucks, Get a set of mounts from King 6. King6fab.com has a set that will replace all 4 of your main engine/trans mounts (not the bottom mount) with polyeurethane ones. It's $325 for the set, which is waaayy less than the dealer would charge for them and you can't go wrong with these bad boys.

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!
94mx6lsze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #21
94mx6lsze
Supercharged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsrule View Post
Man you woke up a dinosaur thread here! The stock rear motor mount on a 93 will look different than the replacement one. The new one will bolt right up just fine(at least it did on mine) and the RR inserts work great with it.
Yup, I think the aftermarket Autozone (Duralast) rear mount is the only one that won't work with Rafi's insert. It's modeled after the OEM one. I'm pretty sure that you have to get one somewhere else for it to work. I bought my rear mount from theautopartsshop.com for like $30 when I added the RR-Racing inserts.

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!

Last edited by 94mx6lsze; May 15th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.
94mx6lsze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #22
1fastATX
Search Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94mx6lsze View Post
If you want a good set of mounts and you don't mind spending a few bucks, Get a set of mounts from King 6. King6fab.com has a set that will replace all 4 of your main engine/trans mounts (not the bottom mount) with polyeurethane ones. It's $325 for the set, which is waaayy less than the dealer would charge for them and you can't go wrong with these bad boys.
I tried to get a hold that dude a long while ago. I called numerous times and was not able to make contact with him. I was intersted in the manual TBT(still am).
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #23
mac1
Probe financial advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Anakin View Post
ya thats about right. get yourself a new motor mount from the junkyard, or a mazda dealer (ford is way too expensive), and buy these http://rr-racing.com/engine-mounts.htm you should notice a huge difference.
Have we forgot everything about Probes after owning a Neon

Why you back?
mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #24
MSDKLZE
Turbo Junkie

The sooner you get a set of AWR mounts, the sooner you will be bursting with joy.

I got a set of all three (rear,front,& passenger side)many months ago and I still smile every time I shift gears. the passenger side mount had to be drilled out slightly where it mounts over the two large studs, but it worked flawlessly.

MSDKLZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #25
DeProbeGT
PT Regular

you guys sold them on me! ill be ordering the rr racing mounts real soon
DeProbeGT is offline   Reply With Quote