Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap, cheap, cheap: $18 HEI ignitor as backup to STOCK ignitor, volunteers needed :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone confirmed that this works? I have a 95pgt and i'm ready to cut/connect the wires as we speak. The 95 disty's 6pin connector has 5 wires though, with one connector not in use.

'02 WR Blue WRX
    21psi = 322ft/lb & 357whp
    Ex: Laser Red
    '95 Probe GT MTX

SUCK-SQUISH-BANG-BLOW!

Comment

for those skilled in electronics who want to look at changing the existing ignitor IGBT transistor and use an external coil..in the disty... here is the work ive done regarding the ignition so far..

info on how to source one here..

http://www.incony.org/KLZEWiki/pwp_1...Page&iPage=HEI

Comment

HELP THE CAR WON't Start CKP & CID

i messed up this mod. I had two wires crossed when i cranked it the first time. I think I may have messed up something now. I returned everything back to stock and now I have CKP & CID error codes. where is the crank-ID sensor? Is it part of the ICM inside the distributor? I cant get spark even though I returned everything back to normal. The 2.5l 94probe was running fine before I did the HEI mod. All the fuses are good. How do I fix the CKP & CID so I can get running again? Please help?
        Last edited by fe2cruz; February 21, 2005, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EloM
          Why are you cutting the wire on pin 5? I didn't. The guy that originally made this mod didn't, why do you need to?
          Well, first this modification is not the same. Original modification disabled transistor by cuting internal strap (but you have to open distributor) and that way disabling transistor. By cuting internal strap you are disconecting transistor base, but for that you have to open distributor, because transistor base is not accessible from outside. That was something that I didn't like, and because I looked into solution where I can make simple switch between stock distributor and HEI, that gave me idea that in order to disable transistor you can cut his emiter that is accesible from outside in this case (Pin 5). Hope that this explanation help.

Well, in some situation it is possible to leave (Pin 5), but that depends of the condition of transistor. If transisor is burned in way that his impedance is infinite than you don't have to cut (Pin 5). If transistor is shorted and that way distroyed, than you can not use this scenario. Also in case that distributor works fine before this modification, if you don't cut (Pin 5) you risk your good transistor inside distributor, because I'm not sure what voltage will be in that case between base and emiter (In that case stock transistor and HEI work in paralel). It is possible that even in that case everything would work fine, and in that case both transistors, internal stock, and external switch in HEI would work together, but that is something that needs testing and more money than I have, because as I sad you risk burning good stock transistor and destroying stock distributor.

Comment

Simplest HEI-STOCK replacement for testing

Well, simplest solution, no need for opening distributor or cuting wires, just splice them.

http://img156.exs.cx/img156/5402/heisimplest2gu.jpg

Same as above, but now you can switch between stock ignition or HEI ignition with simple and inexpensive switch.

http://img25.exs.cx/img25/4879/heisimplestswitch5ur.jpg

Please this schematic is for Ford Probe GT 1993 and 1994.
            Please post results here, and your experience which ignitor works better stock or HEI. Now is possible to compare them, just by simple switching between them.
            Last edited by kuki; April 8, 2005, 02:40 PM.

Comment

1994 pgt

is this the correct diagram I'll need ?
              http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8545/HEI.jpg

Have others tried this way of doing it ?

Thanks
              Last edited by eazypic; April 8, 2005, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eazypic
                1994 pgt

is this the correct diagram I'll need ?
                http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8545/HEI.jpg

Have others tried this way of doing it ?

Thanks
                Try first this one http://img156.exs.cx/img156/5402/heisimplest2gu.jpg and if this one is not working for you then just cut those two wires on (Pin5) and (Pin6) and you will get this one http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8545/HEI.jpg

Yes, jp94GT tried latest one, you can check his site with lot of pictures http://www.pagel.net/Probe

And please post your experience, which one worked better for you. My advice is that you start with first one , because you don't have to cut wires, just splice them. If it is not working, it means that ignitor is probably shorted, and in that case cut those wires to disable stock ignitor. In that case use second schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by fe2cruz
                  i messed up this mod. I had two wires crossed when i cranked it the first time. I think I may have messed up something now. I returned everything back to stock and now I have CKP & CID error codes. where is the crank-ID sensor? Is it part of the ICM inside the distributor? I cant get spark even though I returned everything back to normal. The 2.5l 94probe was running fine before I did the HEI mod. All the fuses are good. How do I fix the CKP & CID so I can get running again? Please help?
                  What wires did you crossed? Picture or schematic would be helpfull? It is difficult to answer question without more data.

Comment

Originally posted by kuki
                    What wires did you crossed? Picture or schematic would be helpfull? It is difficult to answer question without more data.
                    I figured it out
                    I fried the CPK1 inside the stock disty
                    So I replaced it with cheap reman and it ran great for 2 weeks
                    then it completely died, took my alternator with it
                    I even replaced both axles because my boots were leaking
                    I had to crack through afrozen bastard of a nut too!
                    So the only thing left is an O-rings inside the tranny
                    that is making my shift-rod leak.

Well now that everything except the leaky tranny
                    is replaced & running I have:
                    detonation &/or pistron slap &/or valve spring failure
                    on cylinder #4

The car has really kicked my ass this time
                    I'm gonna work on my bike instead
                    i'll come back to this probe again in a few months
                    after i can get some riding time out of a more
                    reliable method of transportation

I love probes and think they are very reliable cars
                    this one just doesn't like me very much

Comment

Originally posted by fe2cruz
                      I figured it out
                      I fried the CPK1 inside the stock disty
                      So I replaced it with cheap reman and it ran great for 2 weeks
                      then it completely died, took my alternator with it
                      I even replaced both axles because my boots were leaking
                      I had to crack through afrozen bastard of a nut too!
                      So the only thing left is an O-rings inside the tranny
                      that is making my shift-rod leak.

Well now that everything except the leaky tranny
                      is replaced & running I have:
                      detonation &/or pistron slap &/or valve spring failure
                      on cylinder #4

The car has really kicked my ass this time
                      I'm gonna work on my bike instead
                      i'll come back to this probe again in a few months
                      after i can get some riding time out of a more
                      reliable method of transportation

I love probes and think they are very reliable cars
                      this one just doesn't like me very much
                      Bad luck

Comment

i was wondering if this would work on a 96 4 cylinder?

Comment

Working...
                        X