No announcement yet.

The proper/accurate way to set timing, idle, tps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THis proceure is a little more complicated than the fan method but well worth the effort To make things a little easier you can take a needle or a thumb tack and stick it throught the TPS wire, then use an alligator clip to connect the needle to the Volt meter lead.
    My SRT-4
    Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

ok, you are definitely right about the coolant bypass mod, but i think there is a way around that.
      here are some pics to illustrate.
      sorry about the size.

http://riceandwerthmann.com/pics/tb/tb2modify.jpg
      http://riceandwerthmann.com/pics/tb/tb.jpg

that is all, should take care of the idle, and also keep coolant out of the tb
      98 Z3
      2000 F150

Comment

excellent post
        1993 ford probe GT KLZE with some other stuff......SOLD 9/16/2003

Comment

Nick, do you have 64 or 65mm TB?

I think I found out why I have such high idle no matter how I set the TPS. I'm gonna post some pix soon.
          My car - another fully functioning OBD-II ZE.

What the hell is Lomo?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyp
            Nick, do you have 64 or 65mm TB?

I think I found out why I have such high idle no matter how I set the TPS. I'm gonna post some pix soon.
            65mm

I had to sand the blade a lot to get it to seal properly, when you get them right from Greg94gt who was making them they don't seal that well.

Nick
            1993 PGT KLZE Turbo - Sold (12.9 @ 118mph)
            1995 240SX RB20DET swap - Sold (330whp)
            2000 Audi S4 TT - Sold (too heavy)
            1995 BMW M3 - Custom made turbo kit (420whp/398wtq) Sold to pay for school
            2003 VW GTI 20th Anniversary Edition - Chipped, exhaust, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by My_Probe_is_faster
              65mm

I had to sand the blade a lot to get it to seal properly, when you get them right from Greg94gt who was making them they don't seal that well.

Nick

Did you remove the blade from the TB to sand?
              Any specific tips on what to sand, etc.?

I also got one from Greg...i didnt check it out very well but just by looking at it it seemed to make a decent seal.

I've had funky idle ever since i first installed it.

It might idle fine when i first start it and then it bumps to 1200rpms or so.

Did you have your symptoms?

If so I will have a project tomorrow.

Thanks
              ~337 GTI~

Comment

If it idles fine at startup, then it's not the plate, it's the other stuff I'm telling you to set in this post.

I just held mine to the light, checked the gap, and sanded the part of the blade that was touching the tb, so that it would be able to close more. I used a very fine grit paper and sanded VERY little.

Nick

Comment

This SO confirms my hunch for the past couple months-- my idle has been fluctuating up/down unless I first warm up the car thoroughly. UNLESS its warm out when I first start the car, then I don't get the problem. And of course, this is all seems to have started since I did my phenos (except I did the tb coolant bypass while I had it all apart).

I think I chucked that little hose though, so gotta hit the junkyard. Anyone happen to know the diameter/approximate length of the hose thats removed during tb coolant bypass? Would probably be easier to just get a piece of hose at autozone...

AWESOME post btw, hopefully this will solve my idle problems once and for all, its the single most pesky thing about my car (aside from the shot mounts )
                  Silver 93PGT -- 97PGTS Motor
                  Phenolic IM Spacers, Coned TB, Custom CAI, K&N, Catco Cat & Magnaflow Muffler.
                  For Sale:
                  93 Throttle Position Sensor / 93 Intake Manifold (with VRIS butterflies)
                  PM/Email me for details!

Comment

Okay, I understand everything but the continuity. When I touch the two bottom terms of the TPS with the harness off, I should here the meter beep right?

I did that and got no beep. I assume I need to adjust the TPS to get continuity but then don't I lose that setting after I go and adj the voltage?

Or...

Is the continuity setting to set the little screw on the linkage only?
                    DE/ZE Hybrid 189 WHP 165 WTQ <--- SPUN #6
                    Motor #3 184 WHP 159 WTQ pulled from junkyard... DE PISTONS/HEADS 125,000 miles
                    BACK TO MOTOR #1 REBUILT, NO NUMBERS YET

Comment

Originally posted by cre3d
                      This SO confirms my hunch for the past couple months-- my idle has been fluctuating up/down unless I first warm up the car thoroughly. UNLESS its warm out when I first start the car, then I don't get the problem. And of course, this is all seems to have started since I did my phenos (except I did the tb coolant bypass while I had it all apart).

I think I chucked that little hose though, so gotta hit the junkyard. Anyone happen to know the diameter/approximate length of the hose thats removed during tb coolant bypass? Would probably be easier to just get a piece of hose at autozone...

AWESOME post btw, hopefully this will solve my idle problems once and for all, its the single most pesky thing about my car (aside from the shot mounts )
                      I went to Autozone and bought an approx right hose premolded in the U shape. Cut off extra hose and bingo, had my hose.

Comment

Wait a sec... u can't set idle without grounding the GRD and TEN pins??? I've been able to set idle without grounding those..... Do explain why that works or works better? Maybe that could be part of my problem....
                        1993 PGT MTX Silver - Eibachs, Tokiko Illuminas, EBC Slotted Rotors, Axxis Pads, Sleepy Eye, H4, Alpine 6.5s, Bazooka Subwoofer.
                        1993 Yamaha FZR600R - Blue

Comment

How can you set timing on a '96gt? I can't jump the ten pin, can I?
                          2007 Audi RS4
                          Past: '05 Audi S4, '88 626 turbo, '93 red PGT, '94 white PGT, '95 Purple PGT, '95 Red PGT, '00 MGT, '07 Mazdaspeed3
                          The mom's car: White on black GTS, 5 speed, tint.

Comment

Originally posted by 93PGT
                            How can you set timing on a '96gt? I can't jump the ten pin, can I?
                            I know nothing about OBDII! Sorry!

And for jmmdm2, turn it till there is continuity on the two lower pins, some small alligator clips will make the job a lot easier.

Set them as I said with the feeler gauges, and don't really worry about the voltages, just let the continuity part take care of where to set the tps.

Nick

Comment

yep its all the same all years. At least i know it works on my 96. Also thats the way it says to set the base timing in the ford service manual.

Comment

Re: The proper/accurate way to set timing, idle, tps

Originally posted by My_Probe_is_faster
                                Ok,
                                First, DO NOT DO THE COOLANT BYPASS MOD! It sucks and it makes your car idle high all the time in any weather below like 80 degrees (had it for a year).
                                I disagree. I was the first person on this board that I know of to do this, and have had it as such for the over3 years now with no issues. Sometimes when its' cold I have to blip the throttle to get it from ~1100 to ~700. I liked it so much on my K8 that I did it on my KLZE as well. Sorry it didnt work for you, but its great for me and other K series owners.
                                David Coleman #1891 - Fastest of any Gen @ MMIV:
                                1993 Mazda MX-3 GSR Special Edition - PINK POWA! - KLZE powered!

The Idiot Post Patrol :
                                Fighting ignorance one post at a time [this public service brought to you by Nikki and David]

Comment

Working...
                                X