crank crank crank thud crank crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank crank crank thud crank crank

i put in new cams, waterpump, timing belt, and a ze manifold....and ive got it 95% back together (misc vaccum lines, splash guards, dumb stuff) and itll crank about 4 times (you know when you crank it and it goes rrrrr rrrrrr rrrrrr ? it does that 4 times or so) and then thuds which slows down the cranking and then it keeps going and then thuds again

im a bit confused as to what this will be

it doesnt do it while the distributor is unplugged

what gives?
    1993 Rio Red w/ White Pearl & Alot of Shaved Shit! MTX PGT
    Hotshot Intake | Hotshot Gen IV Headers | Eibach Springs | KYB GR2 Struts | Home Depot RSTB | 7/8" PST RSB | DIY STS | Apex-I Dunk w/ 2.5" catback | Testpipe | P/P'd ZE manifold | Colt Cams SuperStreet Grind | 65MM Throttle Body | TB/IM Phenos | CM3 w/ Fidanza Flywheel | UDP | FD Wheels | MSD 6AL w/ Blaster 3 Coil
    All throttle, NO BOTTLE! 14.350@95.88 2.158 60'

Put engine to TDC, then put distributor back in place.

Comment

are you sure the cams are in right?
      I don't post here anymore.

Comment

cams are in right timing is right (i think)

now its doing it whether or not the distributor is plugged in

***en a
        Hotshot Intake | Hotshot Gen IV Headers | Eibach Springs | KYB GR2 Struts | Home Depot RSTB | 7/8" PST RSB | DIY STS | Apex-I Dunk w/ 2.5" catback | Testpipe | P/P'd ZE manifold | Colt Cams SuperStreet Grind | 65MM Throttle Body | TB/IM Phenos | CM3 w/ Fidanza Flywheel | UDP | FD Wheels | MSD 6AL w/ Blaster 3 Coil

Comment

ok i put in a new/used distributor off of a 94 and the thud is gone i believe (i only tried one continuous crank this time and it didnt THUNK) but now it doesnt start

im having a friend come over to crank it for me so i can see if there is spark

this sucks heh

cams = big job

Comment

Originally posted by iamdung
            ok i put in a new/used distributor off of a 94 and the thud is gone i believe (i only tried one continuous crank this time and it didnt THUNK) but now it doesnt start

im having a friend come over to crank it for me so i can see if there is spark

this sucks heh

cams = big job
            Cams are not really a big job, they just take a bit of time, sorry to hear that it is not starting. Let us know if you figure it out. Are you getting fuel? How did you releave the fuel pressure when you first started working on it? All the connectors pluged in? Did you connect the ground wire on the engine mount?
            I don't post here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingray77

Cams are not really a big job, they just take a bit of time, sorry to hear that it is not starting. Let us know if you figure it out. Are you getting fuel? How did you releave the fuel pressure when you first started working on it? All the connectors pluged in? Did you connect the ground wire on the engine mount?
              im getting fuel. but after the cranking stops i can hear a leak somewhere in the runners. ill try tightening them down more. and yeh all the rubber washers are there.

i relieved the pressure by undoing the banjo bolt from the rail. all the connectors are plugged in and the ground wire is on the mount.

i pulled all the plugs out and it does not clunk if its just cranked freely. the clunking is comming from the starter area. definately not the cylinders. unless ofcourse it is the #6 cylinder.

when i pulled all the plugs 2 and 4 would not start on fire if i put a lighter to them. which i would assume is where the leaking sound is comming from.

also there is spark

i dunno

there doesnt seem to be a real pattern to the clunks either.

Comment

I know this sounds silly, but are your spark plug wires on right? I changed my distributor a few weeks ago, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why the hell the engine sounded like it wanted to start but couldn't. I had hooked up the wires wrong.

Comment

yessir they are

i dunno this sucks though

Comment

This is typical of the timing being off by 180d. Double check everything related to timing. Dont assume.
                    Rick_96PGTâ„¢ #62
                    "I never apologize.
                    I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."
                    - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

sob

makes sense though

i know the cams are aligned on the head, but how do you set them to TDC? i used the mark on the cam sprocket and aligned it to the mark on the head. i double checked them about 3 times after rotating the crank clockwise to tdc

Comment

Originally posted by iamdung
                        sob

makes sense though

i know the cams are aligned on the head, but how do you set them to TDC? i used the mark on the cam sprocket and aligned it to the mark on the head. i double checked them about 3 times after rotating the crank clockwise to tdc

umm, did you line up the two little dots on the cam "gears" themselves?
                        JAL 8/17/03 "we brake for no one"
                        2006 Brazen Orange Metallic GTO M6 400hp/400tq
                        89 GL 91 BASE 94 GT 93 GT-ZE
                        1986 Honda Accord LX-i Donated to Purple Heart

Comment

but of course

the only think i can think of that i might have messed up was i spun the front head around a few times and might not have realigned the "dots" again when i put the valve cover on

ill check that out tuesday when i pull it apart again

Comment

the dots on the front cams are aligned and so is the mark on the cam sprocket in relation to the mark on the head.

$50 bux to whoever comes and fixes my car

haha i wish

Comment

Sounds like the fuel is possibly trying to detonate by compression-diesel method.

No ignition spark or severely out of time would be my guess. Actually I would have picked another year model from which to replace the distributor. Having a '93 yourself and replacing that dist with one from a '94 - you may have jumped out of the fryin' pan into the fire based on all of the ignitor failure history for both those year models.

Good Luck.
                              "I'm tryin' ta think but nuthin' happens"

'95PGT

Comment

Working...
                              X