How To: Mounting Your Cold Air Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Mounting Your Cold Air Intake

First off, this is NOT something I would say is for a 'show car' engine bay. Its functional, and could be tweaked/painted to look more show car appropriate. This was a request from a fellow PT'er of how I had my CAI mounted.

I dont have pictures of step by step, so I'll just explain as best I can with pictures of the final product.

Tools/Items needed

- 36" x 1" x 1/8" Aluminum flat bar (you could use steal or some other material but aluminum is the easiest to bend)
    - Bolts with washers and nuts. Size is your choice.
    - Drill with drill bits that will allow you to drill through your material of choice (Aluminum etc.)
    - Jig saw (or something to cut the aluminum/steel with)
    - Cardboard
    - Scissors
    - Hammer
    - Pliers
    - Vice/Anvil (something to allow you to bend the aluminum around)

Step 1: Remove all of your stock intake pieces from the engine bay.
    Step 2: Cut the cardboard into roughly 1" wide strips, and test fit them to figure out how long you need to cut the aluminum and where you need to bend it.
    Step 3: Cut the aluminum to required length as found by the cardboard template.
    Step 4: Bend the aluminum using the plier, vice/anvil and if needed the hammer. I covered my aluminum piece in cardboard so I didnt scratch/dent it as I worked it into shape.
    Step 5: Test fit the piece, re-work it till you get the shape just right.
    Step 6: Repeat for other brackets if you wish to use more then one.

Now for pictures...

Overview

Overview

Driver side (right side) of VAF mount. This is a 'z' shaped bracket that runs from a bolt located just behind your battery. There is then a piece that runs 90 degrees from the 'z' to the VAF mouting hole.

Passenger side (left side) of VAF mount. This bracket is straight from the VAF mount to a bolt on the right side of the front valve cover. The solenoids are held on a bracket that is also bolted to the left side of the VAF, both these solenoids sit in the same position as they do with the stock airbox. These solenoids are bolted to this bracket using the stock piece they are attached to when on the airbox.

The boost sensor bracket is simply twisted (kind of like licorice? If thats a good comparison ) and bolted to the bracket which is holding the 2 solenoids. The boost sensor is also sitting in the same location as stock, and all wires and vacuum lines reach with no modification. I used the bracket that the boost sensor is held on with in stock condition (its like a 90 degree bent thin piece of metal) and just bolted this to the end of the twisted aluminum bar.

Sorry if this is missing some info. I did this a few months ago, and not completely sure what all needs to be said to make this as clear as possible. If you have any questions feel free to post it here and I'll get back to you... or you could PM if you wish.

If you need more pics, just ask too
    Last edited by BradsPGT; September 1, 2011, 04:08 PM.
    1996 Probe GT - Bought April 2010, Boosted August 2014
    Fast FC04 18x9, Black Leather, King6, ADDCO, AWR, Yonaka, Quad J30s, AVC Pipes, Tial WG, Greddy BOV, Aeromotive AFPR, MS1v3
    1993 Probe GT - 110k, auto, parts car
    2011 Impreza Limited Hatchback - Daily, Lowered, WRX Wheels & Wing

Can u tell me a how the solnoids are for urs i got mine wrong
    for barro sensor and fuel
    A SUPER-CHARGED PGT IS WERE IT`S AT !!!!!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/MYGTPROBE
    http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/MYGTPROBE/

Comment

What intake is that?

Comment

Looks KLDE to me.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Good info

Comment

Thanks for that info. Great pics

Comment

since your in the mood to take pictures. Would you mind showing me how your intake breather vacuum is routed?
                Posed by jicks = I'm either hungry or horny, so If you see me without a boner, make me a sandwhich.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithnMikkii View Post
                  since your in the mood to take pictures. Would you mind showing me how your intake breather vacuum is routed?
                  He said in the original post that:
                  " I dont have pictures of step by step, so I'll just explain as best I can with pictures of the final product." This thread is from 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ScottD961 View Post
                    He said in the original post that:
                    " I dont have pictures of step by step, so I'll just explain as best I can with pictures of the final product." This thread is from 2011
                    Damn, did not notice the date!!! Back from the dead i guess.
                    Posed by jicks = I'm either hungry or horny, so If you see me without a boner, make me a sandwhich.

Comment

Send him a pm, he's a great PT'er. I didn't want you to take heat for necro posting is all

Comment

nice i think i have same CAI but i didnt use thoes brackets to make it stronger. Thanks for this idea!!!
                        Minnesota Probe owner, Looking for others in Minnesota

Comment

I will for sure be using this when I get my intake I order from ebay

Comment

Working...
                          X