Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Performance Section > Engine Electronics

Engine Electronics Do you own a Jacobs, MSD, MegaSquirt or other ignition/fuel system? Get in here and ask your questions!

Old February 18th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #1
BLUEnoEQ

What I'm working on

Arduino controlled VRIS. R Pi3 to program the arduino, run a desktop, entertainment, NES, SNES, Genesis, DOS. Waiting on a few more parts and I'll be getting out there to fix my car and see how this works out. Arduino costs $10, dual relay board $4, programming is free and open source, will be posted if it works. It's almost as easy as reading a .txt file and changing the numbers.

Pic
https://i.imgur.com/OYILBg6.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #2
stoker100
Donating Member

cool project!

Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34

Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc.
stoker100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 11:53 PM   #3
BLUEnoEQ

Thank you! I'm surprised I haven't seen something like this before. I'm hoping this opens a floodgate of interesting ideas. Considering trying to make an RFID trunk release setup as well. Getting used to this Fusion, (Mondeo,) with all of the nice things. Freakin heated steering wheel is gonna spoil me.

Old February 19th, 2018, 12:23 AM   #4
stoker100
Donating Member

I did something similar back in the day using the stock ECU i could change the VRIS while driving but needed a laptop hooked up to the emulator to make changes. Technology has changed making it easier to do stuff like this now. I believe i have the stock ECU VRIS drive circuit schematic somewhere (hand drawn) if you want to use it or similar components. RFID release would be cool, ive seen it embedded in hands as an immobilizer before. Come to Australia we have 200deg heated steering wheels in summer!

Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc.
Old February 19th, 2018, 12:43 AM   #5
BLUEnoEQ

That was the eeprom OBDI ecu? The Pi is pretty much like a laptop just in several pieces, adaptable with parts and running Linux. VRIS are just 2 coil actuators with 12v and a ground. The ECU will have dummy actuators and the Arduino will control the actual valves. Hoping that prevents a CEL or code. Willing to hookup vacuum if I need to to fool the ECU, but not expecting to have to go that far.

Old February 19th, 2018, 01:23 AM   #6
stoker100
Donating Member

You wont need vac for the ECU VRIS, any dummy load within the specs of the actuators will work but just using actuators is probably the easiest way. Yes it was OBDI.

Old February 19th, 2018, 07:25 PM   #7
J_Unit
Donating User

Cool to see a project like this, back when I first did my push button starter I had thought about trying to use an arduino as like a bluetooth circuit breaker so you couldn't activate ignition unless my phone was paired. Never did work on it though.
J_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 09:04 PM   #8
BLUEnoEQ

You should absolutely do some research into it. Just Google some similar circuits, checkout some Arduino tutorials beginner stuff will break down the basics. See how the sketches are written. You could definitely make something like that. I always thought it would be difficult. Now I've already figured out how to test the stuff I have here both of my Arduinos now, the relays. Infrared trunk release using my phone is another possible. Easy peasy, everyone should check it out.

Old February 20th, 2018, 02:22 AM   #9
stoker100
Donating Member

Here is how the stock ECU controls the VRIS solenoids if you want to copy it:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...Untitled-2.jpg
(not sure if photobucket links work but worth a try)

Old February 20th, 2018, 01:02 PM   #10
BLUEnoEQ

Ha, I like the part about, "probably to diagnostic test input... who cares." I'm just going to use a relay for each solenoid. The ones I've got are meant to work with Arduino. 5v, ground switching, with a low signal, in this case, ground, to the control pin on the relay. The solenoids themselves are 12v... correct? If not, I'm probably going to have plenty of 5v to tap. 2.5A for the Pi alone, probably another supply to take care of the screen/screens and for the Arduinos. Going to put in a small, key on, fuse block under the console somewhere.

If anyone wants to see some cool ****, look up make your own cell phone with a Raspberry Pi. It looks like it'd be a great backup device to have, and a great way to get shocked. $10 a month for a sim card, $45 dollars or so for the phone parts, cool factor over 9000.

Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:39 PM   #11
mcdonn
Supercharged Member

Just make sure you put a damping diode across the solenoid valve coil to keep the back EMF from destroying the driver transistor you drive from the Arduino TTL output. You were going to use a drive transistor to drive the coil right?
mcdonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 07:32 PM   #12
BLUEnoEQ

I have a dual relay unit made for the Arduino. It's designed for it. The 12v side is not connected to the Arduino side electrically. They're rated for way more than 12v, for home automation projects. Pic

https://imgur.com/a/hSKve
At the bottom right is ground from Arduino, 1 and 2 input, VCC.
VCC is 5v from Arduino. 1 and 2 are low signals (ground) to activate.
I already tested this using the blink program. It blinks the relay instead of an LED at the rate specified in the program. 1000 equals 1 full second to an Arduino. Change the number, re-compile the program and the relay blinks faster or slower.

Last edited by BLUEnoEQ; February 23rd, 2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 07:56 PM   #13
stoker100
Donating Member

That board looks optically isolated and has flyback diodes too so it should be fine Yes the solenoids are 12V, those relays shluld be ok to use. Transistors/FETs would be better (relays arnt the best for switching inductive loads) and faster but the relays shown should be ok.

Old February 23rd, 2018, 08:11 PM   #14
BLUEnoEQ

Honestly they make this stuff for dumm... education I wonder if I could make a headlight wink program with this? I'd probably have to get rid of the stock controller. Raise both lights drop one, raise it back up then close both. With a momentary button to activate.

Old February 24th, 2018, 06:20 AM   #15
P1P
Turbo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
Honestly they make this stuff for dumm... education I wonder if I could make a headlight wink program with this? I'd probably have to get rid of the stock controller. Raise both lights drop one, raise it back up then close both. With a momentary button to activate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5QtAxVlz8
P1P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 12:47 PM   #16
BLUEnoEQ

Yeah but that is way more complicated to use. I'm talking pushbutton and precise adjustable timing. I think it can be done with the original controller in place for less complication. 93 pop up button as well, see if I can make it momentary only. I've got a couple $2 Arduinos coming from China and 2 single relays at $3 a piece on the way. I've got to do something with that stuff

Old February 25th, 2018, 12:47 AM   #17
BLUEnoEQ

I wrote a program for the headlights. Seeing what the Arduino forum has to say about it. I believe if I take the 12v that drives the headlights down and switch it to the headlight up side of the motor then the headlights will go up. If I'm looking at the schematic right. That means the normally closed side of the relay will make the headlights operate normally.

Old February 25th, 2018, 09:32 PM   #18
BLUEnoEQ

Arduino side is figured out... to MY satisfaction. That is to say, I lucked my way into something that works in a different way than intended, but it does work as is. That means I only have to figure out the car side now. The lights on the relays indicate how the headlight buckets will operate.

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ErvFI4byM

There still may be changes to the final code. Certainly timing of events will have to be dialed in. But, I could pass on the code to someone else and they could put this together use my code and it would work for them.

VRIS is still coming up I haven't had the ability to test for that yet, but I think it should be easier than this was (code wise.)

Old February 26th, 2018, 06:06 PM   #19
BLUEnoEQ

Okay... scratch the last post. I was back at it today. I solved ALL the problems with my code with some help from the Arduino Forum. The headlight wink sketch works on both the full size Arduino and a knock off Arduino Pro Micro/Leonardo that cost me $2 Headlights will work as they normally would, except when the button to the Arduino is pushed.

The $2 Leonardo seems a bit twitchy, going off on it's own, going to see if I can prevent this from happening. It may not even be a problem installed in a case. Also the connections are all temporary hookups not actually soldered in place.

Old February 28th, 2018, 10:55 PM   #20
BLUEnoEQ

Okay okay, really done with the wink circuit for a minute. New and improved 2 buttons headlight blink, choose right or left wink. Plan for the future to include the powerlock system... lefty loosey, righty tighty confirmation. Arduino code in the description of the vijeo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_7DNQa1IoU