Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old December 2nd, 2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Level 9

How to remove paint from trim?

Well as the title says once upon a time some about 8 years ago some guy I knew sprayed my car but who knows how one can forget or to think for some crazy reason you did not need to mask off the window trim?!!?!? Anyways after time some of it is starting to chip off of it and it seems to be alright once it comes off, however this car will need to be resprayed, but I have to get the trim cleaned up first... So....

Anyone know of a good method to get this crap off?!!

Thanks in advance, and yes it was primed, painted, and clear coated in ppg shop line paint from what I recall. It seems to be cheap since some other spots are chipping as well.
Level 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 02:30 PM   #2
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level 9 View Post
... it was primed, painted, and clear coated in ppg shop line paint from what I recall. It seems to be cheap since some other spots are chipping as well.
PPG is good paint. The problem comes in when the painter -either rushes or isn't very good at what he does. Chipping is normally a problem caused by poor prep or incorrect mixtures in paint, hardener or thinner. If he painted the trim -then I would say that he definitely isn't that good of a painter. Find a better one the next time around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KLZE Porsche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Level 9

For sure. I know ppg has different paints, I have painted parts in the past but I didn't trust myself to paint an entire car which I have kicked myself every since. But from what I recall the shop line line from ppg is one of the cheaper lines. Whenever I had painted mirrors or spoilers in the past I always used deltron from ppg with my 007 sprayer from durablock with excellent results. I haven't painted in years due to having an attached garage or I would have considered trying to refinish this car myself.. Definitely not going to go back to the numbskull that jacked it up to begin with!

If I could figure out an effective way to get this crap off the trim I would consider repreping and possibly priming the car, but absolutely no clear coating in the attached garage. Also may consider pulling the motor and taking it to the body shop down the street to be sprayed if I can salvage the trim. If it's not possible then this is what has me thinking about shopping around for a different PGT for a starting point...
Level 9 is offline   Reply With Quote