Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old December 3rd, 2017, 12:30 PM   #1
ScottF

Coolant reservoir hose leaking

So before my Probe stopped starting, I had an issue with the worn hoses going from the small black tank on the driver's side of the radiator to the top of the coolant reservoir leaking. Replaced the old ones and added screw type clamps to make sure the hoses did not come loose. I was driving it today and noticed a smell of hot coolant again. I checked around only to find the coolant was leaking in the same exact spot...I even teflon taped the two ends where it connects with the plastic connector in the middle in front of the battery. Did I miss a step or something? I'm confused as to HOW it could start leaking again after I tefloned AND clamped the two ends of the hose down snug. Tried yanking on the hose just to make sure and they are on TIGHT...But yet somehow still leaking...The replacement hose I used is maybe 3 weeks old.

Basically, I know the what and where, I just don't know the HOW or the WHY especially after I replaced it and then took extra measures to make sure it did not happen again...

Last edited by ScottF; December 3rd, 2017 at 01:12 PM.
ScottF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 02:23 PM   #2
ScottF

Anyone??
Old December 3rd, 2017, 03:23 PM   #3
ZE-Infused
PT Regular

The tank probably has a small crack in it and expands when it gets hot and leaks.
07 MS6
ZE-Infused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:42 PM   #4
ScottF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZE-Infused View Post
The tank probably has a small crack in it and expands when it gets hot and leaks.
I checked both. The one on the top of the radiator and the overflow tank, no cracks found. It is specifically from the hose at the point where it connects to the small tank with the cap on it. It's weird given the measures I took to make sure it would not leak
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:46 PM   #5
NickR

My guess: there's a blockage where the hose enters the coolant reservoir. So the hose gets pressurised and leaks.

To test my guess: when you squeeze the top radiator hose, do you hear bubbling in the coolant reservoir? If yes, my guess is wrong.
NickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 06:08 PM   #6
ScottF

No, there is no bubbling. No overheating or spikes in temp while driving. The only issues I ever had with overheating was when I needed a new water pump back in 2015 and on that the leakage was obvious LOL
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #7
shdtree95
Search Impaired

Air Separator may be leaking

After getting my Probe running after sitting for 20 months, I noticed my separator tank was leaking (black plastic reservoir that the radiator cap attaches to). I only noticed after driving around the block a few times as pressure and heat built up. I am repairing with JB Weld as after sanding down a previous patch attempt, I uncovered a small crack at the seam. I am confidence that JB Weld will seal it up, but will not know until I reinstall and test. Good luck.
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #8
ScottF

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdtree95 View Post
After getting my Probe running after sitting for 20 months, I noticed my separator tank was leaking (black plastic reservoir that the radiator cap attaches to). I only noticed after driving around the block a few times as pressure and heat built up. I am repairing with JB Weld as after sanding down a previous patch attempt, I uncovered a small crack at the seam. I am confidence that JB Weld will seal it up, but will not know until I reinstall and test. Good luck.
In my case, it does not appear to be coming from that separator tank but the actual hose itself. I looked at it very closely and wiped it off with a rag just so I could be sure where it was coming from and it is infact coming from the hose
Old December 4th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #9
Level 9

Did you just check the tank and the nipple the hose attaches to as well? That nipple may be cracked. Also is the hose you used tight to put on before clamping? Also what kind of hose is being used (coolant, pcv, trans line, fuel injection hose)?

Assure hose fits snugly prior to clamp, do not over tighten the clamp and I wouldn't use the teflon. Also double check that nipple for cracks.
Level 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #10
BLUEnoEQ

Is the cap good? If you're sure it's the hose get some new hose. Then check it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BLUEnoEQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #11
J_Unit
Donating User

I'm with everyone that says bad/cracked nipple/faulty tank, or bad cap. Happened to me, so i bought every single spare tank at the local JY. MUAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA (dr evil style).
J_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #12
majo8
Donating User

I had a leak there too, and just got a new tank. Problem solved.
majo8 is offline   Reply With Quote