Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Transmission Thread... Brainstorm Ideas Here!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweet, lets us know total cost for thep arts that fit playa, you ought to see if you can get a bulk discounti f this works and run a tranny rebuild BB!
    MazdaSPEED6

Comment

BTW - we are gear limited not drag limited. According to GPS I got my 96 up to 143MPH ground speed before I ran out of gear....the car was still wanted to go though.

More about gearing.....I feel the stock gearing is nearly perfect....1st is low enough to provide plenty of umph off the line even with very sticky tires. 2nd is tall enough to use a hefty dose of nitrous in and really get the stretch its legs before making the two shorter shifts. For what its worth I found short shifting first and hitting nitrous early the best route to take. You really dont want to shorten 2nd gear because you will be traveling slow when you make your 2-3 shift and it will cost you more time. You see the faster you are going when you make a shift the less time you lose because you cover more ground.
      Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; December 17, 2004, 10:18 AM.

TARMAC BLACK 2006 EVOLUTION 9 SPECIAL EDITION 430WHP

JJM CUSTOM TUNE /// ETS FMIC /// HKS TBE EXHAUST /// BBK TURBO /// OHLINS COILOVERS /// FIC 1100 INJECTORS

www.BOOSTEDFILMS.com

MY CAR DOMAIN

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jeske
        BTW - we are gear limited not drag limited. According to GPS I got my 96 up to 143MPH ground speed before I ran out of gear....the car was still wanted to go though.
        I remember a conversation I had with Rick_96PGT here in AZ(we miss you Rick.) He was talking about how he had one of his cop friends clock him with a laser at the top of 5th. He said after doing it a few times he noticed that the probe is not only gear limited to 145mph but nearly aerodynamically limited to not much more than 145. He said depending on the direction of the wind(heading into it or with it) he could feel the car start to lift.
        When heading into the wind, that could bring the aerodynamic speep limit lower right? simulating a slightly higher speed, increaseing lift. Physics know it alls, help me out here.
        Matt Hicks
        Silver 97 2.0 Turbo
        Factory Green ZX6RR
        If you have 1,000 posts and have not donated to PT, you should consider doing so.
        "We're all still learning."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jeske

More about gearing.....I feel the stock gearing is nearly perfect....1st is low enough to provide plenty of umph off the line even with very sticky tires. 2nd is tall enough to use a hefty dose of nitrous in and really get the stretch its legs before making the two shorter shifts. For what its worth I found short shifting first and hitting nitrous early the best route to take. You really dont want to shorten 2nd gear because you will be traveling slow when you make your 2-3 shift and it will cost you more time. You see the faster you are going when you make a shift the less time you lose because you cover more ground.
          And for nitrous thats fine but for boosted or N/A cars a gear change is in order I think... or rather, would be benificial....
          MazdaSPEED6

Comment

I have to agree with pgt95. Even people rebuilding or just replacing their tranny, it would be a beneficial gear change, especially on a stock probe. I love the fact that my friends' prelude has such short gear ratios. He pulls really hard due to it.
            '93 Black on Black with Black Leather GT
            PARTING OUT PROBE
            Parting Out Probe
            18"x8" SSR GT1 with Tires 4 Sale

Comment

drive an mx3...it has shorter gearing than my friends type-r.

the smaller diameter wheels/tires compared to the probe make a helluva difference.
              Wil (admin iMazda.com) 93' MX-ZE
              Mods: ZE w/31 cams & curved-neck mani, 67mm t/b, obx headers w/2.5" straight-thru, 3" custom CAI,
              Mazdaspeed mounts, Tochigi Fuji Sangyo 2-way LSD, ACT clutch, Noble Green Metallic paint, E-spec headlights,
              OEM skirts, 16" SubZeros on Azenis, Tokico w/Eibach's, Mazdaspeed TTL & Bushing Kit, New OEM Leather seats & SE interior

READ THE HEADER FAQ OR DO A SEARCH

Comment

I'm looking more toward the daily driven and road racing/Auto-X guys rather than the Drag racing guys by needing a lower 2nd and 3rd gear. I've noticed in my KLZE powered PGT that 2nd seems to be too high compared to 1st and then 3rd is just a little bit higher than 2nd. It would be really nice In my opinion to have a lower 2nd if anything.
                I have no goals in Life and this is what I was told... "Even if it be something as simple as shooting a paintball gun from the top of the big green Bank of America building in Dallas trying to hit a honda prelude in the middle of the day, then do it" Quoted by Silent_Hill_3
                RIP--) 1995 PGT Lazer red KLZE powered... Check it out at: http://www.cardomain.com/id/dubbed23

Comment

Just changing 2nd would allow 2 to pick up abov 4000 rpms (if shifted out of 1 as low as 6,000 rpm you still grab 2 at 3800 instead of 3300) and 3 would pick up at 4K if you shift around 6600 which sounds about right anyways.....
                  MazdaSPEED6

Comment

Originally posted by pgt95
                    sweet, lets us know total cost for thep arts that fit playa, you ought to see if you can get a bulk discounti f this works and run a tranny rebuild BB!
                    I absolutely LOVE this idea!

This looks to be a very productive thread. I need to replace my tranny soon too, anyway, so maybe the info in here will help me build somethig really nice. Right now my 3rd gear and synchro are near shot and my 1-2 shift is getting worse, so i need something in the near future.

Keep the good stuff coming!

~Andy~

Comment

Does anyone know off hand what the trans code is for the 2.0? or where I could find the code? Someone said that 2.5 and 2.0 inards are swapable, if thats the case then I would think that anything that works for the 2.5 would work in a 2.0 and vise versa, EI new protege trans or MS protege with LSD.
                      Matt Hicks
                      Silver 97 2.0 Turbo
                      Factory Green ZX6RR
                      If you have 1,000 posts and have not donated to PT, you should consider doing so.
                      "We're all still learning."

Comment

Originally posted by M.Hicks
                        Does anyone know off hand what the trans code is for the 2.0? or where I could find the code? Someone said that 2.5 and 2.0 inards are swapable, if thats the case then I would think that anything that works for the 2.5 would work in a 2.0 and vise versa, EI new protege trans or MS protege with LSD.
                        Isnt there someone that put the 2.0 innards in a 2.5 tranny once?

I was under the impression that they are both g series trannies so yes, anything that works for the 2.5 tranny will work for the 2.0.
                        94 MX3 V6 - 403 whp 412 ft lbs 15 psi pump gas. RIP
                        98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
                        04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

My brain hurts .. but what an excellent thread..
                          Turbo time..

Comment

Is there the possibility of investing the time into a 1/4" adapter plate to use the straight MTX75 on the KL03 and have the beefier case benefit? I have seen many plates forsale for rearwheel drive cars as well as honda fwd cars, so why not the probe? From what I have heard in the past you need to space out the flywheel the same thickness as the adapter plate and "most" cv shafts have enough play that they will soak up the offset.
                            1994 PGT MS2 LC-1 370cc 190lph KLZE intake ported heads Turbonetics T4 2.5" Magnaflow STS MX3 flywheel ceramic clutch, 355fwhp ** sold
                            1980 Fairmont 4-door, S472, Megasquirt, 351C, 678rwhp.
                            2003 Mach 1, FR500 engine, 372rwhp w/out spray.
                            2003 Escape, slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. MX6
                              My brain hurts .. but what an excellent thread..

Seriously, i think a REALLY helpful FAQ will come out of this thread. I can't even begin to thank you tranny gurus enough for finding all of this out.

Comment

Originally posted by rurockn
                                Is there the possibility of investing the time into a 1/4" adapter plate to use the straight MTX75 on the KL03 and have the beefier case benefit? I have seen many plates forsale for rearwheel drive cars as well as honda fwd cars, so why not the probe? From what I have heard in the past you need to space out the flywheel the same thickness as the adapter plate and "most" cv shafts have enough play that they will soak up the offset.
                                Would the tranny side of our stock axles fit into the new tranny ,and would the length still work out... find some numbers!
                                MazdaSPEED6

Comment

Working...
                                X