Anyone still own Ford Probe GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P1P View Post

klzep - I understand your point clearly and I would agree with you totally if we was talking about any other car other than a probe, your theory holds alot of weight but it only applies to cars that are very sought after.

Even other cars fall into the same bucket. 944s with ultra low miles barely break 20k in the NA trim. That is to a Porsche collector.

If the mile creep up past anything other than absurd time capsule the value drops to 5k.

At the end of the day, something is only worth what someone will pay.
    ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

Originally posted by KaedenKy View Post
      I own 3, but am involved with 4. I gave one to my brother in law and I help him maintain it.

I personally am looking for a nice one, one with 17000 miles popped up locally from an original owner. He is asking 11,000, so I passed.
      This has been sent to me probably 5 times already since it's local. It's a 4cyl auto buuuuutttt 30k miles. 3400 dollars

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6178598795.html

I mean if you want a good candidate for a ZE swap here it is.
      PhotoPOC(tm)
      MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
      93' PGT not stock
      91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

I'd take a 2g Probe GT over a 944 NA, turbo too. They're too small, getting in and out sucks, no room in the trunk. So far as performance goes, you can get that out of a Probe and the Probe will sound better. 911 or a Boxster/Cayman is a whole nuther story. I will say this, no matter the miles or age 944s do feel solid.
        Probe out for Harambe
        94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

94 PGT that I bought new in late '94. Just turned 150k and use it as a DD. Still get people every day in all sorts of vehicles wanting to race me because it looks somewhat Ferrari-like with the wheels/suspension and sounds kind of healthy with the Greddy exhaust...even though the paint has seen it's better days.

And speaking of paint and overall subjective Probe values, the reason I haven't already had it repainted is because the current cost of paint/labor would total more than the car is "worth" (to everyone except me that is) that I'd never recoupe if I decided to sell it.

Toying around with some PlastiDip kn a set of wheels right now, and if the finished product looks decent, I may just go that route for the time being. It'd also be nice to source some new door seals, so if anyone has found a replacement option, I'd appreciate the info.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
            I'd take a 2g Probe GT over a 944 NA, turbo too. They're too small, getting in and out sucks, no room in the trunk. So far as performance goes, you can get that out of a Probe and the Probe will sound better. 911 or a Boxster/Cayman is a whole nuther story. I will say this, no matter the miles or age 944s do feel solid.
            I don't think there is much of a comparison between a 944 and a probe. But I do own both.
            ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

I don't think there is much of a comparison between a 944 and a probe. But I do own both.
              Same here, only mines a 928.

Comment

there's not

apples and oranges

porsche will sell just because of its name

probe wont

Comment

there's not

apples and oranges

porsche will sell just because of its name

probe wont
                  The point was earlier, even a relatively appreciated brand has cars that sell for far less than they are "worth".

It's only very recent that 944 prices have crept up from, nearly free.

My comment about, preferring it was referring to the previous poster saying he liked his probe better than the 944. With that said, I am doing autox in a 1994 GT and I daily it.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Originally posted by j-dogg View Post
                  This has been sent to me probably 5 times already since it's local. It's a 4cyl auto buuuuutttt 30k miles. 3400 dollars

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6178598795.html

I mean if you want a good candidate for a ZE swap here it is.
                  Nice car, I have plenty of project to worry about.
                  ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

I have 5 or 6 in my backyard right now.
                    I've Been Probed.

Comment

Originally posted by branscoset View Post
                      I have 5 or 6 in my backyard right now.
                      you need a intervention

i'm calling the tv show hoarders

Comment

"Originally Posted by KaedenKy View Post
                        I don't think there is much of a comparison between a 944 and a probe. But I do own both."

There's lots to compare. The weight is pretty close with the Probe being lighter. There's more space in a Probe. More options in a Probe. V6 engine in a Probe. You can easily mod a Probe to beat a 944 turbo. Braking: Ford Probe 115 feet from 60, Porsche 944 138 feet from 60. Skid pad: .85 for the Probe, .84 944. 944 sunroof has to be taken out to be fully open, which involves pulling over getting in and out of the small door opening one more time, banging my knee or my head getting back in. Sure a 944 is RWD, but not exactly a donut/drift machine either. A Probe is 1/4-1/3 the cost of the remnants of an NA 944 that will probably need timing done as well as the clutch damper, interference engine if I remember correctly. All that with no freakin cup holders, and relatives will start to think you've got money, while the rest of the Porsche club wants think of you as "the help." No thanks. XD
                        Probe out for Harambe

Comment

^^^
                          So very true in my opinion as an ex Porsche owner. It is far cheaper to get far more hp out of a KL engine than it is with a Porsche engine.

Just Porsche Nikasil lined cylinders alone will cost you more than it will cost you to build an entire KL engine with more HP than you are even thinking about at the early stages of just selecting the jugs and pistons to use.
                          Last edited by KLZE Porsche; July 8, 2017, 07:58 AM.
                          Success is a measure of determination!
                          Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                          $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                          Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                          Restoration of a legend

Comment

you need a intervention

i'm calling the tv show hoarders

I picked up 2 more this week, so that makes 8 total now...

I have a major Probelem...
                            I've Been Probed.

Comment

"I picked up 2 more this week, so that makes 8 total now...

I have a major Probelem..."

What are you doing? Making a Probe Voltron? Cause I mean that'd be cool.
                              Probe out for Harambe

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post

What are you doing? Making a Probe Voltron?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr86S4RVLH8

Comment

Working...
                                X