Sunroof Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof Delete

Just as a preface I know of no 2nd Gen. GT available without a sunroof from the factory, or anyone who has already done this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

After inspection I'm thinking about deleting my sunroof. It doesn't work anyway and I don't really want to go through what could be a pretty big hassle of diagnosing the problem and fixing it. It could be a simple fix, but then again with this car, it is probably going to be a nightmare resulting in me cutting the wiring harness to shreds.

So, I was thinking of ripping out the headliner (going anyway), removing the entire assembly, and putting some 1/4" sheet stock steel right up there. My welder puts out 150 amps (small, I know, but if I need the big one I have it at work and I'm not dropping 4 grand for my own) and is rated to 3/8" steel.

I figure since I hate sunroofs anyway (girly IMO), I loooooove hardtops, especially coupes, fastbacks/hatchbacks. Maybe I can even pick up some structural integrity since as we all know hatchbacks aren't the best on chassis flex, especially those with sunroofs.

Any thoughts? Think I should weld in some kind of brace with some bar stock, or will the 1/4" sheet be enough? I might have a roll cage coming in a year plus, but that remains to be determined...

i don't have a sunroof. and i have a gt. and it's a 2nd gen. it's an "option"
    and chances are your not going to notice anything. handling wise hell there's many turbo'd pgt'ers on her and you don't see them ditchin the sunroofs

Comment

There are PLENTY of GT's without a sunroof.

You will need LOTS AND LOTS of support if you remove the roof. Try a search, I remember this tipic being discussed in the past. Might get some pointers.

later
      Wes
      ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
      No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
      ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

Comment

yeah man, if you don't like the sunroof just weld a new patch in there in the shape of the current spot and prime and paint it. should be easy enough

Comment

you could weld a panel in but you would have to be extremely careful to avoid warping your roof all over the place. if you want to lose weight take the motor and stuff out. its not worth it in my opinion but its your car.
          Adam Kirkpatrick
          1994 Ford Probe GT-T - Built for me, by me, 265whp
          2010 Ford Fusion SEL - Wife's daily driver . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 - Daily driver
          1997 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 - Work truck, wrapped, on 20's . . . 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon - Work car

Comment

the motor is probly your problem in the first place why it doesnt work. but anyways you wont feel any diffrances in handling if you do this and the amount of work that it wouold invlove and the way it might look depending on what color car you have it might be very noticable
            my email address is NOT working!

Comment

Originally posted by UnorthodoxCreat
              you could weld a panel in but you would have to be extremely careful to avoid warping your roof all over the place. if you want to lose weight take the motor and stuff out. its not worth it in my opinion but its your car.
              it's more that I just don't like it than I want to lose the weight.

Damn, all the PGT's I searched had sunroofs.

Now it's not so appealing.

Comment

My first 94 GT had no sunroof either.
                86 Pontiac Fiero 2M6
                2001 Ford Focus ZX3
                1987 Dodge Daytona 2.2L Turbo
                1996 Yamaha YZF 600R
                2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Comment

Want somthing new? Add T-tops....
                  95' Probe GT....2.5 <---FS...
                  Lil White POS... 93' MR2 Turbo w/ T-tops - Sleeping the spring off in a heated Garage
                  quote of the month - Krazy-K - "i need to get on a stick!"

Comment

the only option my pgt has is cruise control, power mirrors, and the damn sunroof! I dont think I have ever seen a probe 2nd gen without power mirrors and cruise control. Were these two things pretty much standard on probes? As far as my sunroof goes I would have been happier if it didnt have it. At one point it stopped working with it still being open about an inch. Then it jumped track on one side so how. I dropped the motor each time to fix it which was loads of fun! Now the sunroof goes about half open and stops. I would love to just remove the whole thing and weld in a panel but man thats probably cost twice as much as having a sunroof installed, lol! Stupid sunroof!!
                    Matt Knudsen
                    2010 Colorado 5.3L V8
                    2009 Yamaha R6r

Comment

my 2.0 dosent have cruise.
                      MMX BEST ROLLIN WERCK
                      1991 accord wagon..20's, ear bleeding system..storm trooper style /08 CRV black/tan sunroof...stock /1965 thunderbird landau/

Comment

i have a spare motor that had less than 60k miles on it if you want to buy it!
                        2005 Acura TSX
                        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                        2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR

Comment

i didn't get a sunroof'ed pgt specifically to avoid that extra weight.
                          2015 Audi Q3 - Stock |
                          2017 Audi TTS - 034, Magnaflow |

Comment

Personally I would just fix it.I would lovee to have a sunroof, besides, doing anything else seems like alot more work....and/or would look super SHEISTY
                            93 PGT
                            95 PGT - 15.4 - 2.3 60' - I/H/E cutout, 14lb flywheel, SPEC stg 3, tokico struts, eibach springs, tranny brace, minor weight reduction.
                            There = location, Their = possessive, and They're = They are.
                            Your = possessive, You're = You are
                            I'm sure we all passed 4th grade grammar, lets act like it.

Comment

if you dont like it, close it and unplug the motor, find a domelight unit without the sunroof control, and then a headliner from a probe without a sunroof and you have forgot all about it. Not worth the money and time to remove it and weld it up, unless you are bored and have deep pockets

Comment

Working...
                              X