This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change your own clutch..........

I just PM'd this to mrduke to help him with his weekend coming up, figured it could go in here as well.:

My best time is 1 hr 37 minutes

OK, as in Spaceballs, here's the Short, short, short version:
    • jack up car
    • remove driver wheel/tire
    • begin drain on transmission plug - 23 mm.
    • remove two strut-to-hub 17mm bolts
    • remove abs sensor from hub (2) 12mm
    • remove crossmember (6) 17mm bolts
    • remove engine cradle (2) 17mm nuts, (2) 14mm nuts, (2) 17mm bolts, and the front motor mount thru bolt (17mm)
    • use chisel and hammer to pop axle from transmission. the hub will swing out far enough to pull the axle out of the transmission, barely.
    • remove the whole slave cylinder itself from transmission (2) 12mm
    • DO NOT OPEN/mess with the line (this way you won't have to rebleed it)
    • pop retailer clip from transmission bracket and lay this up and to the side
    • use the overflow as a hook for it to keep it up and out of the way
    • disconnect starter wire (12mm) and solenoid wire (male to female, squeeze and pull)
    • remove single 17mm nut on upper motor mount to free up big ground.
    • pull up wireharness out of the way to gain access to more bolts
    • remove single ground wire 10mm bolt, other 4wire ground wire 10mm bolt, the bracket they were attached to, and throw the bracket away.
    • weight reduction
    • remove 10mm bolt on rear motormount to transmission brace
    • remove 10mm bolt on main transmission ground wire (black w/ yellow stripe)
    • unplug VSS (grey plug, 2 wire, into top rear of trans vertically)
    • unplug PNP Switch (black 2 wire plug near fuel filter, comes up from underneath)
    • unplug reverse lights switch (2 wire white plug, under starter)
    • begin with removing transmission to engine 17mm bolts, 3 across the top, 2 down the front
    • remove inspection plate (3) 14mm bolts
    • remove shifterlinkage bar (12mm)
    • remove shifter stabilizer bar (14mm)
    • remove 3 rear motormount to transmission 17mm bolts, Start on the TOP One and work down (trust me)
    • remove rear 17mm engine to transmission bolt.
    • remove front lower 17mm engine to transmission bolt., it is a stubby one, remember where it goes
    • leave in lower rear 14mm engine to transmission bolt (trust me)
    • remove 2 10mm nuts on fuel filter
    • remove 17mm bolt from lower leg of upper trans mount accessible now you have moved the fuel filter out of the way (just pop it over one stud to the left)
    • at this time wedge axle input shaft up into the loop of the lower fuel hose, it'll hold it there up and out of the way (trust me for later)
    • secure jack under the motor, use exhaust piping, it'll hold ....(or oil pan....it'll be fine)
    • MARK their orientation in the motor mount bracket (front to rear, the hole is slotted) first with a silver sharpie or something, then remove remaining 2 nuts and single 17mm bolt on upper transmission mount. marking them will help in alignment later for rear 3 17mm MM to MTX bolt install
    • transmission should sag down a bit, but not fall (remember 14mm bolt from above?)
    • get under transmission and remove 14mm bolt.
    • using bench press technique, grab starter with right hand and rear of trans (around the shifter linkage input) with left hand
    • slide transmission off motor....flathead screwdriver and wedge from earlier will help a stubborn contestant.

do clutch replacement and FW? if applicable.

MAKE SURE THE CLUTCH IS DEAD CENTER....use the alignment tool.

Tricks on install:

installation is reverse of removal but.....
    Note orientation on upper 2 MM bolts and 2 studs.

use automotive lubricant on input shaft, teeth, and T.O. bearing shaft. hit the steel sleeves on the edge of the bell housing as well, to help it sink when you seat it.

you didn't mess with the passenger side on purpose, because now you have a shaft that will help you guide the transmission back home.

When you go to put it in, sink that shaft first, then play with the alignment on the input shaft.

Careful, it can/will fall back off even if you think you got it on....so thread that 14 mm bolt back in when you can get it to line up to secure the transmission

Oh, add fluid, pump clutch a few times first, and check your engagement before you get it down.
    For those that see better than read:

good luck, that is the short, short, short, short, short, version. Fluffernutter
    Last edited by TravisWilliams_GT; May 7, 2012, 12:45 PM.
    ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
    ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
    ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

dude thats really freaking fast!! and thanks alot for the write up, i need to put a new clutch in mine here really sooon!!

Austin

=93 FlaT BlacK PgT=

Comment

um, sticky? I'd say that's very useful information. Hour and a half, eh? You were flyin'.

Comment

An hour and 37 mins, thas wild. If only I could get a shop to quote me for 2 hours of labor. I don't have the tools or the confidence to try and pull this off.
        KL-ZE, Southbend Clutch OFE, 11 pound UR flywheel, cross-drilled rear rotors, CAI, sleepy eyes, H-4 conversion, NGK V-power plugs, MSD super conductor wires, MBX UDP

Just moved to Boston any MAPOC members in the area. Hit me up with a PM.

Comment

MMMM sticky!!!
          New Ride: 95 mustang gt...
          SOLD !1996 Ford Probe GT- (14.83 @ 91.8 MPH 60' 2.112) KLZE, Mx-3 flywheel,MSD Window Switches, Exedy Clutch, Autometer Gauge pods, cold air intake, Custom 2.5 inch exhaust with flowmaster super 40 muffler, Slammed with cut Dropzone Springs
          1993 Base Sold- Lots of interior paint...

Adam L

Comment

yea.... I'm just bringing it to you...
            Stephen Wilds #303
            PhotoPOC
            BMW 328i
            BMW Z4

Comment

A vote for sticky is a vote for saving lives!

I Vote Sticky!
              BC Probe Owners Club is VERY MUCH ALIVE - www.bcpoc.ca
              93 PGT 2.5L SILVER - Stock DE, ZE Intake Manifold, T3/T4 .50/.63 AR Turbo, Valant Turbo Pipes, Tial 38mm Wastegate (~9PSI), Custom Water/Meth Injection, Megasquirt v3 (MSnS-Extra 029q2 Fuel/Spark), Millennia Injectors @ 70psi, 65mm TB, JJ Resonated TP, Centerforce DF Clutch, MX3 Flywheel, AWR Mounts, it begins all over again...
              93 PGT 2.5L BLACK Dismantled
              GARAGE - The hybrid with a piston hole... lots of various leftovers...

Comment

This should go into the archives! I PM'ed Travis asking him for a few tips to make the job easier, and that's what he sent me. I'm sure I can't touch his time, but it'll go twice as fast now. Thanks again Travis
                2004 Mazda RX-8
                1993 Probe GT
                1999 Yamaha R6

Comment

I have two words for high speed repairs: Impact gun.

That is seriously quick though regardless...
                  Jim K.
                  :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

It took me 12 hours to do my transmission swap (MTX to MTX) I hate you.
                    Dan- ASE certified-A1, A4, A5, A8
                    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit...
                    R.I.P. Joe Mohr 10/3/06, Tom Major 2/17/08
                    I dont do cars anymore, I have a type 03 FFL...

Comment

wow It took me 2hrs just to get my trany out of my 1st gen. Some day I will beat that time.

Matt
                      R.I.P. Roy W Clark You will be missed.
                      06 subaru Impreza 2.5i siting on cobs" wrecked
                      "Sir, you got crack paraphenalia in your spagetie noodles"
                      Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
                      ...Its like a ride cushioned by a load of poo ...

Comment

I honestly have forgotten how many of these I have done......as well as engine swaps (best time 7 hrs 10 min start to finish and drive the car away, included WP, TB, TBT, C/FW and VCG install)...................you do enough of them and you get into a rythim, knowing what tool you need enxt before you get to that point, knowing what bolts are next to be removed....ect.....

and .............I don't use impact/pneumatic tools......

all ratchets and pliers, I prefer to feel the pressure/force applied, you loose that with air...
                        ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                        ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                        ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

was that motor swap alone or with someone else? The best time my roomate (harvey93gt) and I had was starting around midnight and backing the car out with the new (read: not blown up) motor at around 530-6ish the next morning.
                          Last edited by WhiteDart; October 3, 2005, 11:54 AM.
                          Jim K.
                          :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

I work alone...........

every now and then I'll have a padowin learner with me, but that one was alone.

Comment

That's a good time! It took me almost 6 hours to do mine, well that was by myself and without power tools.
                              1995 PGT - Turbo
                              1997 PGT
                              2016 WRX STI & 2016 Cadillac ATS AWD-Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X