No announcement yet.

1 wire O2 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, kinda off topic but deals with the same subject... I have a 96 gt with pacesetter headers, of corce the 96 has 2 front 2 rear o2's... cani just take the connector cut the wires and splice the signal wire into the other 02's signal wire then plug it in to fool the computer into thinking that the other o2 is there?
    '09 Smart Car ForTwo --==((Prius Killer))==--
    '07 Ninja 650-R

Comment

This works great, I put these in last night. This post should be a stickie or something. For reference, I used the 84 caprice plugs mentioned above. The Bosch part number is 11027. The only way I could tell which wire was correct was to look up the wire colors on the old o2 sensor. On the sensor, two wires will probably be the same color. These will be the heater wires. You want the signal wire so that narrows it down to 2 more. If you were previously using NTK sensors like i was, the signal wire will always be BLACK. So just cut the old sensor off and attach the new single wire to the black wire where the old one was cut off...

-Evan

Comment

1- Is there a difference from obd-1 and obd-II when it comes to wire signals ?

Ihave found that on the Front exhaust manny , the signal wires is the black one ..

2-You mean , Cut the o2 sensor harness ( the one connected to the o2 side itself ) and tap that one wire of the new 02 sensor to the Stock signal wire ??

This seems so Odd though... I mean if it was this easy why didn't they come like this stock ? it would have saved the company tons of money ..
        N.E.P.O-"The Rebel"
        -2005 SRT-4 *305lb tq*
        -1998 Neon Stock:
        -1997 PGT Stacked:**SOLD**

Comment

TTT ??
          N.E.P.O-"The Rebel"
          -2005 SRT-4 *305lb tq*
          -1998 Neon Stock:

Comment

TTT ??
            N.E.P.O-"The Rebel"
            -2005 SRT-4 *305lb tq*
            -1998 Neon Stock:

Comment

i just decided to run it with out the other 2 o2 sensors, its not hurting anything, not even a cel.... now if i could get rid of this egr cel i would be happy
              '09 Smart Car ForTwo --==((Prius Killer))==--
              '07 Ninja 650-R

Comment

I'm going to give this a shot and see. Thanks PT!

Comment

Originally posted by 97pGT
                  2-You mean , Cut the o2 sensor harness ( the one connected to the o2 side itself ) and tap that one wire of the new 02 sensor to the Stock signal wire ??
                  If I did the the 1 wire O2 swap, I'd cut the old O2 sensor off and use the wires coming off of that. Don't hack up your car's harness. You might want to go back to 4 wire one day.
                  Marc M.
                  Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
                  2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Marc, i think that's what he meant, by the o2 wire harness, sounds like he meant the plug that comes off the o2 itself.

97pgt, they didn't come like this from factory because of air quality regulations. 3 or 4 wires heat up faster cuz they have like an electric heater built in. faster heat up means they can send your ecu correct signals quicker, so you can get the right amount of fuel to burn
                    1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
                    2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                    2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

ok well, what do you do if you sense that the cars wiring harness is jacked up. I mean what if you think the terminals inside are corroded, how would you hook it up then, Just Curious because i tried it only the plastic around the wires, from the cars harness was cut about 1" so i just took the O2, cut its harness off and wrapped it around the exposed part of the cars harnesses wire. when i did this i didnt get a code for a little while, likewise when plugged the O2 in the cars harness i got a code as soon as i turned on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 95RedPGT
                        This works great, I put these in last night. This post should be a stickie or something. For reference, I used the 84 caprice plugs mentioned above. The Bosch part number is 11027.
                        -Evan
                        Evan,

Thanks for the post ... where did you buy the 84 caprice O2 sensor and how much did it cost? Thanks.
                        -- 1993 Probe GT ATX -- Silver -- 157xx
                        -- Borla catback -- K&N airbox filter
                        -- NGK blue wires -- NGK V-Power plugs
                        -- KYB struts -- Dunlop SP Sport 8000

Comment

This works great, I put these in last night. This post should be a stickie or something. For reference, I used the 84 caprice plugs mentioned above. The Bosch part number is 11027. The only way I could tell which wire was correct was to look up the wire colors on the old o2 sensor. On the sensor, two wires will probably be the same color. These will be the heater wires. You want the signal wire so that narrows it down to 2 more. If you were previously using NTK sensors like i was, the signal wire will always be BLACK. So just cut the old sensor off and attach the new single wire to the black wire where the old one was cut off...
                          95RedPGT, thank you for mentioning the part number. I went to Autozone to get one's for the Caprice and there were a bunch to choose from since that car had a number of engine choices.

If youre still out there Im wondering if those 02's are still working out for you....
                          ________
                          PISSING MATURE
                          Last edited by seagull369; March 17, 2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

by the way this will not work on obdII cars since the pcm checks for the heater circuits on the sensors.

Comment

Originally posted by 97pGT
                              1- Is there a difference from obd-1 and obd-II when it comes to wire signals ?

Ihave found that on the Front exhaust manny , the signal wires is the black one ..

I don't know about OBD II but on my '93, the signal wire is the black one. And secondly, I just did the same exact thing you spoke of. Cut the 4 wires close to the OEM sensor, tape the 2 white and the grey wire off separately so that they do not touch each other or anything else, and splice the 1 wire sensor into the remaining black wire.

Like Ryan originally said, it takes approx 30 secs for them to warm up. The exhaust stinks of unburnt fuel because the car is running so rich ( testpipe vs cat makes a difference probably). As soon as they warm up, the car runs perfect. I also sprayed for a good couple of miles or more with a 65 wet shot and A/F mixture remained perfect. Altogether, I am happy with a $36 investment as opposed to $65 a piece.

~Cheapskate.

p.s : Thanks, Rypazzzzz.

Comment

Originally posted by brian2305
                                by the way this will not work on obdII cars since the pcm checks for the heater circuits on the sensors.
                                Brian, have you tried this to prove this is the case? I wouldn't be all that surprised, but being that the system could care less if the 2 lower O2's are even hooked up, I'm surprised they would care about the upper two being heated
                                '96 Rio Red PGT - Sold

Comment

Working...
                                X