Found a way to rejuvinate hardened rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a way to rejuvinate hardened rubber

Worked excellent on the belt weatherstrips. You take 1 part wintergreen oil and 3 parts xylene. If the part is small enough, you can soak them in an enclosed container until soft. With an odd piece like the belt weatherstrip though, it was hard to do. So I heated up the rubber gently with a heat gun and spread the mixture with a brush. It will evaporate so you have to continually brush it on. Heat it up every so often and repeat. I couldn't believe the difference. It's soft, goes right back into shape, and shows no signs of age. You can do a search for it online as there are other methods that involve heating a water and oil mix but the heat gun works good too.

if my rubber was hard and dry I would just go buy 3 pak of Trojan and some ky jelly

Comment

Originally posted by P1P View Post
      if my rubber was hard and dry I would just go buy 3 pak of Trojan and some ky jelly

Zinnnnngggggggg!!!
      PhotoPOC(tm)
      MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
      93' PGT not stock
      91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

Well unless you guys have found a stash of usable weatherstrips hiding somewhere, this is a descent solution.

Comment

I've had good results with the Honda Silicone, you can buy it on amazon.
          ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

There is also a product called Krytox that works well on rubber seals.

Comment

Working...
            X