Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old September 8th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #1
Nechronius
Five Star Member

IM gaskets with phenolic spacers?

So I'm finally to the point where I actually had some time to tear things down... The phenolic spacers on my 95 PGT were lined on either side with some kind of paper gasket to hold a seal, although once the IM was removed the paper gave up the ghost.

What kind of options do I have left? Go back to metal gaskets and ditch the phenolic spacers for the IM? Just use a thin bead of RTV copper to create the gasket? Or can I just buy two sets of standard gaskets and use them instead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 Mazdaspeed 6
'13 Evolution GSR
'90/'91 PGT owned
Nechronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:37 AM   #2
SuperSquid
It's all J-dogg's fault

you can use RTV or 2 sets of metal or 2 sets of cork/paper...you can even get gasket material and cut your own gaskets.
'94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
'90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I gotz turboz. Now with T3....
'96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed.
SuperSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Silverprobe
PT Know it All

Is it not advisable to just use the phenolics with the metal gaskets alone?
Silverprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Nechronius
Five Star Member

I was kind of under the impression that two sets of metal gaskets might be a bit too much. I think I'll just try the RTV only approach but using a very thin layer. I wasn't happy that the paper gaskets that came with the phenolic spacers to begin with appeared to have deteriorated quite a bit. It's possible that the act of removing them caused them to fall apart, but they felt pretty brittle and deteriorated easily from handling.

'06 Mazdaspeed 6
'13 Evolution GSR
'90/'91 PGT owned
Nechronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #5
ChillinZX

I use the liquid gasket stuff. Same thing happened to me. Gasket both sides.
2000 ZX2 w/ '95 Millenia KL swap, MSPNP (VAF delete, IAT mod, AEM Wideband, Coilpack), MFactory LSD and 'Plate Mod' 626 trans, Aeromotive fuel system, custom DSS 500hp axles, AWR solid trans mounts, KLG4 IM, MX3 GS brake booster/master combo, ebay headers, ebay CAI system, Ford Racing ZX2 inverted coilovers, Cusco camber plates all around, custom made traction bars mounted to frame rails, body kit, 2 tone paint, etc...
ChillinZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #6
BLUEnoEQ

Copper spray gasket, on both sides worked for me. That stuff is just the best.

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #7
fordprobegt67
Supercharged Member

2 sets of the metal gaskets are just fine its not too much and not too little
99 Olds Cutlas DD
fordprobegt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #8
Silverprobe
PT Know it All

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordprobegt67 View Post
2 sets of the metal gaskets are just fine its not too much and not too little
Two sets of metal gaskets have worked for me so far, was just curious if they'd not work with the phenolics in the long run.

The only thing I'd thought might be an issue going that route was whether the stock intake manifold mounting bolts would be long enough, but they've held so far too.
Silverprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #9
BLUEnoEQ

ZE or 95 Millenia gaskets are $40 a set at my local parts store. So that's $80 right there, DE are half price. Let's say you have to take the IM off for some reason. I've had the same can of copper spray for a year and a half now at least. Made an EGR block off plate out of some aluminum, sprayed both sides bolted it up. My 4 cents.

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote