Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention: Painters And Experienced Body People Needed!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what part of Va are you in?
    2005 BMW r1200GS - fully dressed adv machine
    2006 Suzuki SV650 - naked squid machine

Comment

Does anyone still shoot lacquer anymore? If you don’t have the luxury of a lab-like dust-free space and need a paint that is not as fickle as urethanes or ChromaBase etc lacquer seems a good choice to me since you have to rub it out anyhow, if the worse happens and some gnat ends up in the top coat he will get rubbed out of it. Plus the deep color it has (the paint not the gnat).

Comment

what about respraying the car factory color.

my rio red is faded in some spots, has some dings. i was gonna fill the dings, scuff the hole car. do i need to lay down primer on the whole car? Or can i just primer the filled spots, scuff car and then lay my base color over that?
        96 PGT
        Gettin' there.....slowly

Comment

Originally posted by Phat '93PGT View Post
          what about respraying the car factory color.

my rio red is faded in some spots, has some dings. i was gonna fill the dings, scuff the hole car. do i need to lay down primer on the whole car? Or can i just primer the filled spots, scuff car and then lay my base color over that?
          be careful with "fill" definitely don't use bondo for any depression more than 1/8".

But yes, you could repair the dings, prime, make sure you feather the edges really well.

The whole car certainly doesn't need primer. I usually use 800 wet if I'm going to spray color over non-repaired areas. If you're going to blend the repaired areas and simply clear the rest then 1500 wet is a good choice.

A lot of people preach against wetsanding cause it's so "time consuming" and prefer stuff like 600 random orbital.

Comment

id have to spray the whole car. i have a few door dings and a couple dings in the roof. i was just gonna fill, sand the whole car and respray the whole car red and do the top black.

just didnt want to prime the whole car if i didn't need to ya know.
            96 PGT
            Gettin' there.....slowly

Comment

Rio red is a tri color, you'd be better off priming the whole car since reds are very transparent, and any discrepancies under the color will show. Trust me, prime the whole car. I forget what primer color to use, I think it is grey.
              I think it's an obsession!
              http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/911982_1

Comment

Originally posted by B-Ball View Post
                Rio red is a tri color, you'd be better off priming the whole car since reds are very transparent, and any discrepancies under the color will show. Trust me, prime the whole car. I forget what primer color to use, I think it is grey.
                good to know. I thought the rio red was just a 2 stage. I know the electric red is 3.

Comment

all my books say three. Any red is hard to paint, yellows are the hardest to match and the rest fall into their respective category.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Ball View Post
                    all my books say three. Any red is hard to paint, yellows are the hardest to match and the rest fall into their respective category.
                    When I mixed Rio years ago, the process was called 3 stage, but it was a solid red base coat, and then a translucent-ish red, and then clear.

No variation that I found had it with 3 different base coats.

Comment

Yes that is what I mean by a tri coat. I suppose I could have been more specific.

Comment

Old post revival but is electric blue an easy color? I may have to repaint mine but I’m not wanting to color change it.
                        '95 Electric Blue PGT. Mostly stock

Comment

Working...
                        X