Protege KLZE Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protege KLZE Swap

Hello everyone, this is my first post over here. So, let me introduce myself. My name is Justin I live in southwestern, NH and drive a 2000 Mazda Protege ES. This past May myself and two friends completed the swap of a straight neck klze into the protege replacing the 1.8l FPDE. I was told by a member over on Mazdas247 to post over here as some of you PT guys might enjoy seeing another KL application.

So here are some basic details:
    KLZE Straight Neck, confirmed with the KL31-1a1 and kl31-101 heads, flat pistons, kl31 cams, kl31 TB and obvious intake manifold.
    94 MX6 tranny with a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege LSD, welded for safety.
    ebay SRI w/ AEM Filter
    Pacesetter headers
    Stock Protege Exhaust w/ 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Axle-Back and no cats
    KL36 ECU and JE50 Vaf
    94 MX6 wiring harness
    Tranny saver bracket
    AWR Front and Rear Motor mounts and tranny mount inserts
    2003 Protege ES 2.0l Axles
    MX6 Flywheel w/ DXD SouthBend Rally Stage 1 Clutch
    MX6 Radiator
    AFPR set at 44psi

Here is my big thread over at Mazdas247, hope its ok to link to it.
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ZE-Swap-Thread

Some Pictures:
    The Car

Cleaning Time - Engine Mostly Painted, Timing Belt and Water Pump not done yet

Welded MSP Differential

Transmission Before

Transmission After - Starting to Go Back Together

1.8l FP Coming Out

Empty Engine Bay

Completed

I have thousands of pictures of all the progress the car has seen with the swap and everything else so it was hard to select only a few pictures to post at first. Hope everyone enjoys and hope this is a good section to put it in as well.
    2000 Mazda Protege ES 1.8l >> 2.5l KLZE
    KLZE Straight Neck, CAI, Pacesetter Headers
    KL36 ECU, JE50 VAF, AFPR @ 40psi, Shaved Flywheel

How long ago did you complete the swap? The reason I ask is because I saw a Protege with a ZE in it at the OCC Mazda meet this past year, and am wondering if it was you.
    95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
    93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
    89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
    04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
    Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

that was me as I do not believe anyone else there had a KL swapped protege. I was parked out back behind the OCC building with the other proteges had a crowd around the car for quite a bit.

Comment

the mx3 GS passenger side mount and chassis bracket didnt bold into place?
        1996 PGT

Comment

No idea, never tried it. The 1.8l Protege passenger mount worked out just fine, and I am using a protege rear mount bracket with a protege awr rear mount. KL Front bracket with AWR Mount, and Protege Driver-side bracket and AWR inserts.

Comment

Nice swap, dude. That is definately savage.

How much $ did it all run? How involved was the work? Any custom fab, or did everything all just go together with nuts and bolts? Track times?
            Currently: 1994 MX6 RS - KLZE. Too many mods.

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!

Comment

thats weird im pretty sure over on clubprotege people have done this swap and use the mx3 gs xmemember, and all mounts/brackets and hten you dont have to mod anything

same thing with the intermidiate shaft, i may be wrong but im pretty sure it still works with this chassis
              1996 PGT

Comment

Custom work involved, shortening the protege mid-pipe by about 12inches, and had to make a 94 mx6 intermediate shaft work also custom mount brackets for the bottom of the radiator. Other than that it was drop it in, wire it up, and go, cost was a bit over 4k, that is everythign though, engine, tranny, lsd, wiring, ecu, fluids, axles, etc...

edit:
                I havent seen any 3rd gens over on clubprotege that have this done

Picture of the intermediate shaft
                Last edited by Joost27; December 2, 2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Yep, it was definitely you that I saw then. There was also a KL swapped Protege5 wagon there though...I do remember that much.
                  95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
                  93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
                  89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
                  04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
                  Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

wow really? where were they parked, i cant believe i missed them, i thought i checked out every car including all the cars in the hotel lot.

Comment

Very nicely done swap!
                      John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
                      '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
                      '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
                      '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

Thanks you.

Oh and as for 1/4 mile times I dont want to talk about it....

16.31 was my best at the end of October, it was the first time at the track with the KL.
                        17.8 was my worst with a 3.4s 60'

60' was 2.9s and spun 1st-3rd it was horrible. Track sucked bad and was super cold. Spring I will run again at another track.

My girlfriend snapped the passenger axle the 4th pass of the day so it ended my day quickly. But nothing a trip to advance and changing in the parking lot couldn't fix.
                        Last edited by Joost27; December 2, 2010, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Ex-girlfriend? lol

From your discription, it sounds like you must be getting all of that power to the ground. You really spun third on a stock motor? Didn't know that was possible when N/A, especially with an LSD. What does that thing weigh?
                          Currently: 1994 MX6 RS - KLZE. Too many mods.

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!

Comment

weighs in at like 2580 without me, and the track was horrible that day, guys with slicks werent even hooking up, it had rained the night before and they were taking forever to try and dry the track that morning for us to all race, but it was also liek 40*F and cloudy. All of my friends ran horrible times too, like a stock 2010 MS3 running high 15s low 16s, TT supra running 14s when he has run 12s before, modded WRXs running in the 15s it was horrible. Oh and I was running 205/40/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports so not the stickiest tire in the world, great for cornering though.

As for the g/f i kept her around lol i cant completely blame her, she didnt even launch, it just gripped the right way and snapped it.
                            Last edited by Joost27; December 2, 2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joost27 View Post
                              Thanks you.

Oh and as for 1/4 mile times I dont want to talk about it....

16.31 was my best at the end of October, it was the first time at the track with the KL.
                              17.8 was my worst with a 3.4s 60'

60' was 2.9s and spun 1st-3rd it was horrible. Track sucked bad and was super cold. Spring I will run again at another track.

My girlfriend snapped the passenger axle the 4th pass of the day so it ended my day quickly. But nothing a trip to advance and changing in the parking lot couldn't fix.
                              The slow times mean nothing with that last sentence! I'd love to get my wife out and run down the track, but she is way too afraid of how the car acts when you go WOT that she won't even drive the car. She's too afraid of the power. Gotta get her more used to it yet.

Swap looks awesome and like it's supposed to be in there! very clean for sure.
                              Daily slut: 02 WRX: stage too this and that.. 255awhp/265awtq... Old numbers.. New Hybrid 257 is alive and strong!
                              Toy: 95 Camero: LS3. T56. 9". and a little NAAAAWWWS.

Comment

Working...
                              X