Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Photography, Video, Photoshop > Probe Pic & Video Post

Probe Pic & Video Post Post your PROBE-RELATED pics and Videos here!

Old November 19th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #1
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

Saved another and gained a black one finally!

I didn't know whether I should post this in the Craigslist finds or here -since I found it on CL nearby.

Only occasionally -do I see really good deals on Probes. So when I saw this one and when I saw the pics and the price -I called them up and told them I would be there in the morning to pick it up (without even looking at it).

I wanted a black one with a good body forever -and I finally found the perfect one.

And get a load of this -the elusive glass top that some have claimed doesn't exist (like unicorns):

This is my third one of these that I have seen and all three have looked exactly like this one (Very factory install looking).

But this is something I have never found yet until now:

Anyone need a subwoofer box?

So far -grand total into it:
Car -$500
Tow Dolly rental -$45
Gas -$50
Arby's -$15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; July 8th, 2017 at 08:17 AM.
KLZE Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #2
yellowrob
Donating User

Looks like a decent save.
Old November 19th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #3
dukes193
Donating User

Nice find. Electric conversion at one point kinda interesting

in its prime

Stripped and gutted rebuild from ground up.
2000 Explorer XLS 2 inch lift 32 inch BFG's My Wifes Daily
dukes193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #4
yellowrob
Donating User

There was a white electric probe for sale on CL not too long ago, must have went to some college or something because it was never to be seen again. Or I was searching a different state at the time and have no clue of where to start looking again. I was searching major cities back then for no apparent reason.
Old November 19th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #5
Brizzy
Turbo Member

I wonder what kind of power plant it had.

M62 In Progress...
Brizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #6
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy View Post
I wonder what kind of power plant it had.
It was a 29 HP electric motor on an adapter plate with a coupler to the trans input shaft. I don't know the specifics of the motor other than that the HP. I just asked the guy if he wanted to sell the adapter and he said he wanted to sell it with the motor.

He said that when the batteries were new -he could get 60 miles of drive time on a charge with a top speed of 70 MPH in third. I would guess the transmission is probably toast from being driven 70 in 3rd all of the time.

What I am most pleased with in this find is the condition of the body and interiors. There is only one door ding that I have found yet and the interiors are nearly flawless. It was well taken care of during it's electric life.

The owner decided it would be too much work to swap it back to gas and also knew how rare Probe parts have become and so he decided to let it go. He said -replacing the batteries was far too expensive to even consider -and finding/installing a KL would be nearly as bad financially. So it's life as an electric ended.

And now it will be reborn once again as a petrol sippin' baby!

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 20th, 2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old November 20th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #7
SuperSquid
It's all J-dogg's fault

70 in 3rd isn't actually all that bad....it's about the equivalent to 4500-5000 rpm on an engine so it shouldn't have killed the transmisison.
'94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
'90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I gotz turboz. Now with T3....
'96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed.
SuperSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:20 AM   #8
BhamGTS
Donating Member

The interior looks great! (It's the same as mine.) AND you got the original fog lights to boot!
MX-6 steering wheel w/626 cruise controls
BhamGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #9
mtsmb
PT Regular

Nice snag!

120 volts? Hmmmm...

Forever in search of Enkei Shoguns.
mtsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #10
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsmb View Post
Nice snag!

120 volts? Hmmmm...
Keep in mind that's DC not AC.

BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #11
MSDKLZE
Turbo Junkie

It warms my heart to know that you are taking in those poor strays and giving them a good home
MSDKLZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 05:29 AM   #12
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamGTS View Post
...AND you got the original fog lights to boot!
Yea -and one of them isn't even broken. The other one is repairable. How's it going? We will have to hit up some wings for lunch again sometime. I am now working for a great company off of 459 around the Derby Parkway exit (near Trussville).

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDKLZE View Post
It warms my heart to know that you are taking in those poor strays and giving them a good home
I get a warm fuzzy feeling myself when the paint buffs out nicely. I have been working on the paint with a buffer and some MAAS polishing cream down in the garage and it is coming out as spectacular as one would ever ask for in a car this old. So far -and unbelievably, I have found only one small ding in a rear quarter and one small pushed in type area near the glass top. The paint and body are in spectacular condition. I will post up some pics once I get the buffing finished up. It is truly an amazing find! I am so pumped up!

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsmb View Post
...120 volts? Hmmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
Keep in mind that's DC not AC.
Maybe I should change it to 12 psi ?

I am either going to have to find a 97 engine harness or it will have to go MS. Part of the original Engine harness was hacked/spliced for the electric conversion. There are almost no more Probes in the yards any more. Currently -I would have to drive 150 miles to the nearest 2nd Gen Probe in a JY and the next one is 350 miles from here.

I don't know if I want to drive that far -only to find once I get there -that the car is stripped to the bones - or wiring harnesses hacked by a JY hackmeister -who cares less about Probes -but only about tearing the rear seat out to find $ 0.53 underneath the cushion.

Or -I might also get stabbed by an infected needle left by the previous owner. I think that this area here where I live is the meth/heroine/crack user capital of the world. I can't tell you how many times I have found needles, burned spoons and other paraphernalia in these cars. But as I expected long ago -there are no more Probes coming into the yards. I hope I have stockpiled enough parts to last until someone burns my arse and spreads my ashes.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 28th, 2015 at 05:45 AM.
Old December 6th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #13
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquid View Post
70 in 3rd isn't actually all that bad....it's about the equivalent to 4500-5000 rpm on an engine so it shouldn't have killed the transmisison.
There is still a good possibility that the trans is toast (synchro rings) because there was no clutch usage. The electric motor was direct coupled.

I did a little buffing on the paint. Good thing is that it has very good paint. Bad thing is that Ford didn't properly prep the hockey stick panels or lower door piece. So paint came off with water spray. I will have to sand them and respray them. No Biggie!

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; July 8th, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #14
yellowrob
Donating User

Shined up nice, good looking wheels...
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #15
probe,man

think thats the first ever electric Probe
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #16
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by probe,man View Post
think thats the first ever electric Probe
Actually they were quite common because the Probe was the perfect car for it. They are lightweight, tons of rear hatch space for batteries -and aerodynamic. The motor and adapter plate that were used in this one -were part of a kit that was made for Probes -according to the previous owner. He is still trying to sell the motor and adapter if anyone is interested.

Old December 7th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #17
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrob View Post
Shined up nice, good looking wheels...
Yes -I am quite happy. I always wanted a black one and by this time -I never expected to find one that is in such great shape and for such a low price. I was almost certain I would have to settle with one that looked like the surface of the moon from all the door dings and such that build up over the years.

However, fortunately for me -there are so very few dings in the body. I originally thought there were only two total -but after giving it a good shine -I found a couple more that were less obvious. -But still very happy.

I can't wait to darken up the faded plastic wiper cowl, re-paint the wipers, tint the windows and spray the rear center reflector (all but the GT lettering) and light it OEM looking (if Ford were to light them originally -as they should have).

And I think this will end up being the first MegaSquirted car for me unless I can find a 97 engine harness. They aren't coming into the yards any more and I don't have a 97 harness to replace the modified one in this car -unless someone reads this and happens to have an un-needed one laying around for me to buy. So it is most likely going to get MS. That is OK though because it is likely to get boosted later on.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; December 7th, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old December 7th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #18
MSDKLZE
Turbo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZE Porsche;
it is likely to get boosted later on.
yes.

MSDKLZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #19
xrp861
Supercharged Member

ill keep an eye out for a harness for ya. would a late 96 harness work at all?
also more pix of this power sun/moon as my gt has one and idk if its stock or not. is your switch in oem location or next to the dome? very clean car tho sir congrats.
[96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]
xrp861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #20
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrp861 View Post
ill keep an eye out for a harness for ya. would a late 96 harness work at all?
also more pix of this power sun/moon as my gt has one and idk if its stock or not. is your switch in oem location or next to the dome? very clean car tho sir congrats.
I think a 96 might work. I will have to look into the wiring diagrams to see if there are any major differences. Is it a manual or auto harness?

I never looked into the switch until you just asked. It is definitely aftermarket because it is a separate rocker switch. It is still done very professionally. Since I have seen 3 of them now in this area -I am leaning towards the thought that Southern Comfort Conversions (now defunct) was who was doing them for local Ford Dealerships: http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2009...ersions_b.html

Does yours have a rocker switch? I never took notice of where the switch was in the other two that I saw.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; December 8th, 2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #21
Ryan96se
Juiced Member

I'm a little confused. It has GT Swirlies and lower GT badging below the doors, a GT Rear bumper and Center Tail Reflector but the CLuster Reads 120MPH top speed

So I'm guessing this was a GT with a SE or Base Cluster installed (which I'm not sure why you would do this as the MPH would be off due to gearing etc.)

Makes me wonder about the mileage since the cluster has been changed out from another Probe.

At this point not sure it matters it just caught my eye. Something is up with this part of the vehicle.

Proud Owner of 2 Senior Probes Here on PT!!!

Last edited by Ryan96se; December 8th, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Ryan96se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #22
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan96se View Post
I'm a little confused. It has GT Swirlies but Has an SE Cluster (120MPH).

So I'm guessing this was a SE 2.0ltr with GT wheels installed?
It is a GT because It has the GT ground effects (with GT on them) It is possible someone swapped the cluster.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; December 8th, 2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #23
Ryan96se
Juiced Member

Sorry KLZE. I looked at the pictures more carefully and came to that exact realization of it being a GT. Wouldn't the MPH be off on the cluster due to different MTX gearing and VSS gearing? He might not have been doing 70 like he thought. Probably screaming that car way faster than what he thought...

I'd be worried about the tranny also...lol

Proud Owner of 2 Senior Probes Here on PT!!!

Last edited by Ryan96se; December 8th, 2015 at 07:42 PM.
Ryan96se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #24
xrp861
Supercharged Member

mine is also a seperate rocker on the side. and looks like an oem aftermarket ordeal as the alarm was when it was installed.
[96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]
xrp861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 03:28 AM   #25
KLZE Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrp861 View Post
mine is also a seperate rocker on the side. and looks like an oem aftermarket ordeal as the alarm was when it was installed.
I think it would be interesting to find out if these were all done by SC Conversions. If so then this means they were contracted by dealerships and in this case -I would think it could be considered a special order option -which might increase the value of cars that have them due to the somewhat rare occurrences. Just a thought!

Any chance you could post up some photos of yours and also the rocker switch? I will get some of mine this afternoon when I get home. If we can compare photos of ones that have been done -perhaps we can track the lineage. I also have a top sitting aside somewhere that I pulled from one of them in the JY. I can get photos of that as well.