Swapping '94 GT motor into 93 ATX - questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping '94 GT motor into 93 ATX - questions

I'm having the swap done over the weekend... My existing 93 GT motor runs perfectly with the exception of burning a case of oil every 3,000 miles and a noisy bearing in the belt assembly. Had the car for 5 months and no CELs, so if it starts throwing them after the swap, I'll be miffed.

General Questions:
    1. Any potential problems that might occur?
    2. Any parts I should keep off either engine to go toward the install process?

Specific Questions:
    1. Are the wiring harnesses (interior/engine) for the 93 and 94 ECU's the same?
    2. Would I get the problem of fans staying on all the time if a 94 motor were to go in a 93 chassis? In other words, the coolant sensors aren't on the actual motor, just on the reservoir, right?

In searches, I didn't get clear definitions about motor/ECU combinations in various years of Probes (ex. 93 ATX ECU, 93 PGT ATX chassis, 94 motor), so don't yell at me...heh

If I have any other questions, I'll post them here.
    GPPOC Greater Pittsburgh Probe Owners Club Any gen/model Probe, K or F-series Mazda owners from Southwestern PA welcome.
    [/SIZE]

You have to drill and tap a hole for the Coolant temp sensor that the 93 GT has and the 94 does not. If you don't, you will get a CEL light.

Comment

So if I add in a 94 ECU then everything will be ok?
      GPPOC Greater Pittsburgh Probe Owners Club Any gen/model Probe, K or F-series Mazda owners from Southwestern PA welcome.
      [/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
      X