Mfactory Feeler thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hppwdn View Post
    I spoke with Stephen at MFactory a few months ago about doing gears for our transmissions. Minimum 10 sets is required. That ended the conversation for me looking at the willingness of KL owners to spend 4 figure dollar amounts on anything.

I also asked about doing a 5th gear delete cuff like the honda guys use which would keep the shafts from separating and prevent a lot of the tranny blowing situations and substantially increase the life of stock gear transmissions. Pricing on these is very reasonable (around $200 for the honda units) but you have to delete fifth gear and the min order on those is 30 pieces.
    10 full sets? Any idea if they would they do 10 (or more) 3rd gears? Isn't 3rd the biggest issue?

I agree, I don't see too many people looking to spend big $'s on the full set of gears, but if they were to at least start us off with just 3rd gear and maybe have (20) 3rd gears instead of 10 full sets, or (30) 3rd gears. I think that would be an easier and more realistic goal.

I may be looking at this wrong, but for them to make just 3rd gear would drastically reduce their r&d time too, so they wouldn't have to invest as much time as they would to develop a whole set of gears/shafts.
    '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
    '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

His reasoning he gave me for needing 30 of the fifth gear cuff was it was a small piece (read small price) so I would assume ordering a single gear would raise the minimum substantially. That's all assumptions though.

I only posted in the thread to give the info I had from when I talked to MFactory. I'm not interested in any transmission purchases at this point in time and after meeting Gerard from PAR in person at SEMA I would more than likely spend the money to buy from him if I chose to build one.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
      HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
      Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
      As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

3rd gear is NOT the only weakness. It breaks most frequently because it's the most used gear. Most likely to be donwshifted to, and also the one that gets banged in fast 2-3 gear changes. All that wear and tear means it's most likely to fail under high load.

I've also broken 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and more than once wrecked the shaft conical bearings. Putting in a 3rd only is a lot like putting a band aid on an RPG wound....but, I digress.

You get what you pay for. If a nutcracker vendor in China started making full gearsets for the g-series for $800, it would sell like hotcakes and break more often than an arthritic hip at a rodeo. But everyone here has an aversion to spending $$ for quality work - especially when Wal-ma....errr, EBay has garbage for just pennies.

Originally posted by hppwdn View Post
        after meeting Gerard from PAR in person at SEMA I would more than likely give Dan the money for his full gearbox
        Dang, I knew I liked you for a reason
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

I'm with Dan. Either do the whole thing, or nothing. 3rd doesn't do me a lot of good either. Autocrossing is all 2nd and sometimes 1st, and on the track I'm in 4th more than anything, and never banging into 3rd.

Though I've been impressed with MFactory's diff for the G trans, so if they were to make gearsets of equal quality for an equally reduced price compared to the competition I would very much be interested.
          Ryan
          '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
          SMF Prep:
          MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

Yeah but for those who dont bang it in but instead give a a split second time to breath still have an issue with the amount of boost they boost on that specific gear. 1st and 2nd should only see up to 10psi, 3rd and 4th can be 15psi + which could sheer from the excessive torque and not exactly the shift. This is my scenerio so I need 3rd and 4th.

After tearing done some G's and seeing how the shifter forks work, I will never shift my car fast untill I get the zx2 SR upgraded 1-2 fork.
            Last edited by mac1; March 31, 2011, 11:44 AM.
            1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
            1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
            2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
            2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
            1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

I would buy a set especially if was better than stock.
              Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

Originally posted by dillinr
                I'm with Dan. Either do the whole thing, or nothing. 3rd doesn't do me a lot of good either. Autocrossing is all 2nd and sometimes 1st, and on the track I'm in 4th more than anything, and never banging into 3rd.
                That way the plan, I inquired and he said whole set.
                91 PLX- "my baby" light weight flywheel, cross drilled rotors, new clutch, K&N filter. (sadly its gone now.... )

94 PSE- my absolute piece of shit, no mods, no exhaust from the downpipe back.

Comment

what it boils down to is money the time fabrication and effort it takes to make them is more costly to build then anyone might think i was a machinst for a small company in colchester,ct and they said to make the holders and designs for making the parts are costly the only way is to get an account for say 200 of them in order to make any money
                  95 PGT DE cai,pacesetter headers,xtremethings.com, chipped ecu,jet black paint,battery relocation to trunk, frnt/rear sturt bars,coil overs camber kit,mustang wheels 225/75/r17,broken oil dipstick mod,H4 conversion,power door conversion,protege mirror conversion, ZE IM, ZE TB,http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/colbyjrj/

Comment

im waiting on mikes swap from extremethings.com to finish and to id rather have the option of a 6th gear and almost unlimited gear ranges then spend $$$ on the g series to beef it up theres to many design flaws to really get down and dirty i know dan sac had a tranny done pretty well but cash flow these days is rough. id rather invest the 6k into somthing more useful imo
                    95 PGT DE cai,pacesetter headers,xtremethings.com, chipped ecu,jet black paint,battery relocation to trunk, frnt/rear sturt bars,coil overs camber kit,mustang wheels 225/75/r17,broken oil dipstick mod,H4 conversion,power door conversion,protege mirror conversion, ZE IM, ZE TB,http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/colbyjrj/

Comment

Originally posted by blackness View Post
                      im waiting on mikes swap from extremethings.com to finish and to id rather have the option of a 6th gear and almost unlimited gear ranges then spend $$$ on the g series to beef it up theres to many design flaws to really get down and dirty i know dan sac had a tranny done pretty well but cash flow these days is rough. id rather invest the 6k into somthing more useful imo
                      Mike's swap will cost the average person most likely over the 7k mark given all the R & D he has done on his own and the physical labour.

Comment

Not directing this to anybody in particular, but why does everybody get so bent over having a 6th gear? For most cars it's just a taller version of 5th, why do we need two overdrive gears?
                        Last edited by dillinr; April 6, 2011, 09:40 PM.
                        Ryan
                        '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
                        SMF Prep:
                        MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

^^Because 6 gears is 'in'. Fads are great ways for smart companies to make money. Stance, 6-speed, smart differentials, they keep on coming, and poor sods keep on paying.

And ausloki is spot on - I don't know why people think all that massive amount of sourcing parts, R&D, fabrication and welding is going to be cheaper than a set of PAR gears....but, I guess we'll let them all find out in due time.
                          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

Ok so I'm assuming that the gear sets can be made at around the same price (more likely a few hundred higher than the ones they have for the hondas) soo tell me what you would be interested in if they made these (full set, what gears if your thinking single, and the ratios of thoes gears.)
                            91 PLX- "my baby" light weight flywheel, cross drilled rotors, new clutch, K&N filter. (sadly its gone now.... )

94 PSE- my absolute piece of shit, no mods, no exhaust from the downpipe back.

Comment

Originally posted by Helikaon View Post
                              Ok so I'm assuming
                              This isn't going to work. Get some hard numbers from THEM - as in, what would the price be, per gearset, for xx # of purchases, what the price would be for individual gear packages, for a ring gear/pinion pair (never replace just one), for shafts (if available), and so on.

The Honda #s are low because they sell a huge amount of them. You need to have something in writing, so that if their setup costs start going up then they won't just screw you on the batch.

Comment

I have been talking to Mfactory as well. I'll let you know what I find.
                                Blue 94 PSE DD/Winter beater
                                New Project: 93 PGT-T Loaded.http://forums.probetalk.com/showthre...&highlight=CDN
                                Formerly known as CDN Pr0b3

Comment

Working...
                                X