Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:00 AM   #26
P1P
Balls Across The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
I don't understand why people are complaining about the price for a single owner Probe with 17K original miles. I don't have the money to buy it -but it sounds like a fair price to me because of the miles.

I am sure that it is pristine and of collector value if it has always been garaged. $4k what you pay for a 80-100k car that is in very good condition and not a 17k car. If you are a $1k buyer then you should be looking at 140-150k cars and not 17k while complaining about the price.

kelly blue book

$2650.00 after a car is so many years old mileage doesnt matter

and thats in excellent condition -

Excellent - 3% of cars are excellent condition

Looks new and is in excellent mechanical condition
Has never had any paint touch-ups and/or bodywork
Does not need reconditioning
The engine compartment is clean and free of leaks
Is free of rust
The body and interior are free of wear or visible defects
Wheels are flawless
All tires match and are like new
Has a clean title history and will pass a safety and smog inspection
Has complete and verifiable service records

this is why $11000 is way too much money

he stand a better chance at $5000 and thats still a little high

it's not like this car is a well sought after car by many and if you bought it you would never get half your money back out of it

there is no value or market for a probe unless you just a guy that likes to be probed lol

dont you hate the probe jokes

I know you die hard probe guys love probes but theres a big difference between love and reality

love - you spend $11k
reality- car doesnt value that high

Last edited by P1P; July 3rd, 2017 at 10:18 AM.
P1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:00 PM   #27
KaedenKy
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
I don't understand why people are complaining about the price for a single owner Probe with 17K original miles. I don't have the money to buy it -but it sounds like a fair price to me because of the miles.

I am sure that it is pristine and of collector value if it has always been garaged. $4k what you pay for a 80-100k car that is in very good condition and not a 17k car. If you are a $1k buyer then you should be looking at 140-150k cars and not 17k while complaining about the price.
It's only worth what people are willing to pay. For a Probe GT, 4k is my ceiling. For the Porsche I just bought, I paid much more.

I didn't complain, I said 11k was too high for me. I rather spend that 11k on my turbo 944.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
¡Renewed Vigor!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KaedenKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 11:23 AM   #28
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakman View Post
for a reference, KBB private sale value, even with the low, low, low mileage is only around $3200 for the area it's in. if it were a MT instead of AT i'd be more interested, but only in the 5k-6k range. don't really have even that much to spend, would try an find a way for a MT. There's a 97GTS in the same area with 135k, a MT, and at a more realistic price point.
You cannot rely on KBB. It will tell you that almost any antique car with extremely low mileage isn't worth crap. I ignore KBB because it is a tool for banks and nothing more!

17k miles is just a little over new mileage. A newer Honda or similar with only 17k miles won't be priced too far below the original price. A Probe (in the days of production) that cost $15k would now cost (with inflation added) probably around $25k or so. And if you knock some off for the few miles put on it -then $11k sounds fair to me. $4k sounds like a low-ball offer to me. Could you successfully low-ball a 17k mile Honda priced at $15k for less than half of what the seller is asking? I doubt it!

-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; July 4th, 2017 at 11:33 AM.
KLZE Porsche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #29
P1P
Balls Across The Nose

hey guys there is no need for us to go back and forth about this

no one in the right mind is gonna pay 11k for a probe

klzep - I understand your point clearly and I would agree with you totally if we was talking about any other car other than a probe, your theory holds alot of weight but it only applies to cars that are very sought after.

If you took a probe to Barret Jackson or Mecum I serious doubt a probe would get any bid offers over 2k

Ford biggest mistake with the Probe was they made it FWD

there second biggest was putting a weak v6 with a weak transmission in it

A probe probably would be a more sought after car if it came rwd from the factory because it gives the car options to highly sought after engine swaps (ls,vq,2jz,rb)

Probe has a nice look nice body lines even compared to some of the more up to date cars out now. but the lack of power, lack of aftermaket support and the lack of being rwd puts the car so far down this list of sought after cars it's not funny

We that come here to probetalk love probes I am not different that anyones else. But like I was saying before -----

loving a probe is a big difference than the reality of having or wanting a probe

Old July 5th, 2017, 01:09 AM   #30
yellow2point0
Donating Member

Oh yeah, I still own a 95 PGT I bought in GA back in 2014... I think this is my 4th Probe overall?

But she's in the garage at the moment, getting some cool stuff done to her.
Old July 5th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #31
KaedenKy
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1P View Post

klzep - I understand your point clearly and I would agree with you totally if we was talking about any other car other than a probe, your theory holds alot of weight but it only applies to cars that are very sought after.

Even other cars fall into the same bucket. 944s with ultra low miles barely break 20k in the NA trim. That is to a Porsche collector.

If the mile creep up past anything other than absurd time capsule the value drops to 5k.

At the end of the day, something is only worth what someone will pay.

¡Renewed Vigor!
Old July 5th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #32
j-dogg
/p/hotoPOC

Location: pwning the crap out of supersquid in Unreal Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaedenKy View Post
I own 3, but am involved with 4. I gave one to my brother in law and I help him maintain it.

I personally am looking for a nice one, one with 17000 miles popped up locally from an original owner. He is asking 11,000, so I passed.
This has been sent to me probably 5 times already since it's local. It's a 4cyl auto buuuuutttt 30k miles. 3400 dollars

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6178598795.html

I mean if you want a good candidate for a ZE swap here it is.

93' PGT 157k stocker current boost project, JVC headunit, Alpine audio, trans saver, STBs
2016 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution 505hp 1800ft.lb., the money maker
j-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #33
BLUEnoEQ

I'd take a 2g Probe GT over a 944 NA, turbo too. They're too small, getting in and out sucks, no room in the trunk. So far as performance goes, you can get that out of a Probe and the Probe will sound better. 911 or a Boxster/Cayman is a whole nuther story. I will say this, no matter the miles or age 944s do feel solid.

BLUEnoEQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 09:15 AM   #34
Silverprobe
PT Know it All

94 PGT that I bought new in late '94. Just turned 150k and use it as a DD. Still get people every day in all sorts of vehicles wanting to race me because it looks somewhat Ferrari-like with the wheels/suspension and sounds kind of healthy with the Greddy exhaust...even though the paint has seen it's better days.

And speaking of paint and overall subjective Probe values, the reason I haven't already had it repainted is because the current cost of paint/labor would total more than the car is "worth" (to everyone except me that is) that I'd never recoupe if I decided to sell it.

Toying around with some PlastiDip kn a set of wheels right now, and if the finished product looks decent, I may just go that route for the time being. It'd also be nice to source some new door seals, so if anyone has found a replacement option, I'd appreciate the info.
Silverprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #35
KaedenKy
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
I'd take a 2g Probe GT over a 944 NA, turbo too. They're too small, getting in and out sucks, no room in the trunk. So far as performance goes, you can get that out of a Probe and the Probe will sound better. 911 or a Boxster/Cayman is a whole nuther story. I will say this, no matter the miles or age 944s do feel solid.
I don't think there is much of a comparison between a 944 and a probe. But I do own both.

¡Renewed Vigor!
Old July 6th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #36
Silverprobe
PT Know it All

Quote:
I don't think there is much of a comparison between a 944 and a probe. But I do own both.
Same here, only mines a 928.
Silverprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #37
P1P
Balls Across The Nose

Quote:
there's not

apples and oranges

porsche will sell just because of its name

probe wont
Old July 7th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #38
KaedenKy
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
there's not

apples and oranges

porsche will sell just because of its name

probe wont
The point was earlier, even a relatively appreciated brand has cars that sell for far less than they are "worth".

It's only very recent that 944 prices have crept up from, nearly free.

My comment about, preferring it was referring to the previous poster saying he liked his probe better than the 944. With that said, I am doing autox in a 1994 GT and I daily it.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
This has been sent to me probably 5 times already since it's local. It's a 4cyl auto buuuuutttt 30k miles. 3400 dollars

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6178598795.html

I mean if you want a good candidate for a ZE swap here it is.
Nice car, I have plenty of project to worry about.

¡Renewed Vigor!
Old July 7th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #39
branscoset
Donating User

I have 5 or 6 in my backyard right now.
Old July 7th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #40
P1P
Balls Across The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by branscoset View Post
you need a intervention

i'm calling the tv show hoarders

Old July 8th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #41
BLUEnoEQ

"Originally Posted by KaedenKy View Post
I don't think there is much of a comparison between a 944 and a probe. But I do own both."

There's lots to compare. The weight is pretty close with the Probe being lighter. There's more space in a Probe. More options in a Probe. V6 engine in a Probe. You can easily mod a Probe to beat a 944 turbo. Braking: Ford Probe 115 feet from 60, Porsche 944 138 feet from 60. Skid pad: .85 for the Probe, .84 944. 944 sunroof has to be taken out to be fully open, which involves pulling over getting in and out of the small door opening one more time, banging my knee or my head getting back in. Sure a 944 is RWD, but not exactly a donut/drift machine either. A Probe is 1/4-1/3 the cost of the remnants of an NA 944 that will probably need timing done as well as the clutch damper, interference engine if I remember correctly. All that with no freakin cup holders, and relatives will start to think you've got money, while the rest of the Porsche club wants think of you as "the help." No thanks. XD

Old July 8th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #42
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

^^^
So very true in my opinion as an ex Porsche owner. It is far cheaper to get far more hp out of a KL engine than it is with a Porsche engine.

Just Porsche Nikasil lined cylinders alone will cost you more than it will cost you to build an entire KL engine with more HP than you are even thinking about at the early stages of just selecting the jugs and pistons to use.

-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; July 8th, 2017 at 07:58 AM.
KLZE Porsche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #43
branscoset
Donating User

Quote:
you need a intervention

i'm calling the tv show hoarders

I picked up 2 more this week, so that makes 8 total now...

I have a major Probelem...
Old July 8th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #44
BLUEnoEQ

"I picked up 2 more this week, so that makes 8 total now...

I have a major Probelem..."

What are you doing? Making a Probe Voltron? Cause I mean that'd be cool.

Old July 8th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #45
P1P
Balls Across The Nose

Quote:

What are you doing? Making a Probe Voltron?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr86S4RVLH8
Old July 8th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #46
BLUEnoEQ

P1P thank you for the assist

Old July 8th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #47
P1P
Balls Across The Nose

Quote:
P1P thank you for the assist

you welcome

but you know he could be trying to build a power ranger megazoid lol

and bring tommy the green ranger back lol
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #48
branscoset
Donating User

Quote:
you welcome

but you know he could be trying to build a power ranger megazoid lol

and bring tommy the green ranger back lol
Just stocking up for winter. According to my talking goat, its supposed to be bad this year.
Old July 12th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #49
MSDKLZE
Turbo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by branscoset View Post
You sir are accomplishing what I have failed at.
Keep up the good work!!

MSDKLZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 06:04 AM   #50
richard NL
PT Regular

Also still got my 97 GT bought from the first owner back in 2005.
Far from stock tho..
*97-PGT-2.5-V6*20x9J XXR 526*Custom Kitted*Custom Paint*Custom Quad Angel Eye Lights*Custom Dual Exhaust*Custom Enginebay*Custom Interior*Custom ICE*AccuAir-FBSS AirRide*K-sport Air-Coilovers*K-Sport BBK*Carbon Fiber*Lambo-Doors*Heavily Under Construction!*

richard NL is offline   Reply With Quote