Late model KLZE???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Xedos_6
    1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come
    Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp

Comment

Photos

Here are a few photos of the late model ZE. Notice the KLG4 Style valve covers:
      http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-001.jpg

Factory Sealant -good indication that it has never been cracked open:
      http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-002.jpg

Cam sensor Provisions:
      http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-003.jpg

They are not stamped KLG4 in black ink like typical KLG4 heads are -but from what I can see -they are definitely KLG4 castings. Score!

Here is an oddity -no crank sensor:
      http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-004.jpg

They must have moved everything to the disty. There is no cam sensor (even though there are provisions) and no crank mounted crank sensor (just a hole plug).

http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-005.jpg

I was not wanting brown sludge inside -and wishing for a light golden color -but this is what I found:
      http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-006.jpg

Score! I would have to give this seller a 3-thumbs up

Obviously -they are KL01 cams -but that is OK cause Colts are on the way!
      Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 28, 2016, 07:36 AM.
      Success is a measure of determination!
      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
      Restoration of a legend

Comment

Vin plate on the engine to help suss out what it came from??
        Ryan
        '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
        SMF Prep:
        MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

Originally posted by dillinr View Post
          Vin plate on the engine to help suss out what it came from??
          There are no VIN plates on JDM motors
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

Aaah, I'd know that if I looked at mine every now and then.
            Ryan
            '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
            SMF Prep:
            MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

I am amazed, confused, excited, and a little worried all in one lol. I want to ask where to get one but better question is like you said, WTH is it out of?! and replacement parts? lol
              1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come

Comment

Originally posted by dammitcam View Post
                I am amazed, confused, excited, and a little worried all in one lol. I want to ask where to get one but better question is like you said, WTH is it out of?! and replacement parts? lol
                I wish I had a wiring diagram of the car it came in so that I could figure out if the distributor could be any kind of advancement for our cars -other than having an external coil provision. It might be some kind of improvement for 93 or 94 cars that needed both crank and disty located crank sensors.

As far as the G4 heads go -I have long been a fan of the G4 heads. I still have not been able to crack open the bottom end to check to see if it has G4. KL01, or KL31 crank. If it has the G4 cast iron crank then that would be the only down side so far. I was hoping to get another forged steely and so hopefully that will pan out.

P.S. Anyone know where you can buy a brand new 7 place disty cap?
                Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 29, 2016, 10:12 AM.
                Restoration of a legend

Comment

P.S. Anyone know where you can buy a brand new 7 place disty cap?[/QUOTE]

I think I saw some on the eBays

Comment

Originally posted by dammitcam View Post
                    I think I saw some on the eBays
                    Yea -I saw those -but all of them are UK or other. I was kind of hoping that someone would know of a US based distribuor (who is dependable).

It isn't anything against foreign sellers -but just that shipping is more -and if you run into any kind of problem -it costs a lot more for either the seller or buyer to make it right. Someone always looses.
                    Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 29, 2016, 11:08 AM.
                    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
                      Here are a few photos of the late model
                      Here is an oddity -no crank sensor:
                      http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-004.jpg

They must have moved everything to the disty. There is no cam sensor (even though there are provisions) and no crank mounted crank sensor (just a hole plug).

http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/B...e/KLZE-005.jpg
                      Do you know what year car that engine came from? It seems strange to me that the late model ZE's weren't switched over to coil pack like the G4's here given how shitty the distys for our cars are plus coil packs are superior to distys anyway. Maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't it make sense for a late model KLZE to run coil packs?

Also, why no crank sensor? Don't OBDII cars rely more on the crank sensors to maintain ignition timing?

Comment

Klg4 with a straight neck manifold?
                        1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Something look off about that ZE disty but I cant quite put my finger on it. With the lack of a crank sensor it would not surprise me if it was set up like a 93-94 with both single and 6 tooth Hall sensors. I have one sitting in the garage ill compare it to when I get home.
                          Jim K.
                          :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDart View Post
                            With the lack of a crank sensor it would not surprise me if it was set up like a 93-94 with both single and 6 tooth Hall sensors...
                            It would almost have to be. And the disty looks odd with only one connector.
                            Restoration of a legend

Comment

there's a lot that doesn't add up on that engine.....the newer style cam caps coupled with DE cams and the castings on the heads....what is the codes stamped on the heads?

The valve cover is also found on millenia engines....that's where I've pulled them from.

I'd wonder if it was a performance swap in japan to switch to the straight neck intake on a DE-ish motor....maybe it was a curve neck and someone swapped the straight neck on it.
                              '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
                              '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
                              '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSquid View Post
                                there's a lot that doesn't add up on that engine.....the newer style cam caps coupled with DE cams and the castings on the heads....what is the codes stamped on the heads?

The valve cover is also found on millenia engines....that's where I've pulled them from.

I'd wonder if it was a performance swap in japan to switch to the straight neck intake on a DE-ish motor....maybe it was a curve neck and someone swapped the straight neck on it.
                                There are too many of them showing up for sale for it to be that possibilty. If you check eBay from time to time -you will notice more and more of these showing up.

Just look for the tale-tale valve covers. This engine looked too low of mileage to have undergone a performance swap. The residual oil looks like it was either changed very frequently -or was the original oil -but just extremely low miles. Only the piston tops and rings will tell me approximately how many miles it has.

With the newfangled disty setup -I am thinking either a late model Exedos or Capella. The Exedos was normally a curved neck if I am correct because it was the JDM equivalent of the US Millenia. However -the Capella was the JDM equivalent of the 626 and could likely have had the long neck. It was produced through 2002.

P.S. I just looked on ebay and there are two more engines exactly like it from a different seller than the one I bought mine from. So I don't think it is an extremely rare occurrence.
                                Last edited by KLZE Porsche; March 1, 2016, 12:09 AM.
                                Restoration of a legend

Comment

Working...
                                X