Valve cover gaskets replaced-valve cover gaskets leaking again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover gaskets replaced-valve cover gaskets leaking again

In Nov. 1999 my 95 PGT had the valve cover gaskets were leaking and there was oil in the spark plug wells. I got both of them replaced and until this summer had no problem. I noticed that my oil kept going down, but there were no leaks under my car. A couple of days ago I checked my spark plugs just for the heck of it to see and there was oil in the two rear ones. I called my Ford dealership and they said bring it by Thurday and we'll check it out. "It doesn't cost anything to do that." I didn't know that gaskets only lasted less that two years and 20000 miles. Ok I'm done venting. If anyone has had this problem feel free to join my bitch session.

you can tighten them up a little bit...sometimes new gaskets settle in and loose a bit if their seal.....just tighten it a litlle bit and you should be fine.

Comment

yea snug them up just a tad, dont over do it or youve got some bigger problems then
      1993 Rio Red w/ White Pearl & Alot of Shaved Shit! MTX PGT
      Hotshot Intake | Hotshot Gen IV Headers | Eibach Springs | KYB GR2 Struts | Home Depot RSTB | 7/8" PST RSB | DIY STS | Apex-I Dunk w/ 2.5" catback | Testpipe | P/P'd ZE manifold | Colt Cams SuperStreet Grind | 65MM Throttle Body | TB/IM Phenos | CM3 w/ Fidanza Flywheel | UDP | FD Wheels | MSD 6AL w/ Blaster 3 Coil
      All throttle, NO BOTTLE! 14.350@95.88 2.158 60'

Comment

Tomorrow's the big day and I'll assure you all right now that I'm not paying a single penny for any of the visit. I paid $261 for the first job so I wouldn't have this problem again. Hopefully they just have to be tightened down. Losing mobil 5w30 synthetic is getting to be a little expensive.

Comment

Either they didn't really replace them or they just didn't do it right.

See if they used RTV sealant on the corners & where ever the gasket bends or changes direction.
          '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
          '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Over torquing the valvecover can also make the gaskets distort and make gaps for the oil to leak from. Make sure you torque it to the stock specs (or pretty darn close)
            1999 Nissan Maxima

SHIFT_this

Comment

Well i dropped it off and when I got it back they said that they took all the spark plugs out and checked everything and it wasn't leaking. In other words I thinked they fixed what they did wrong. I'm going to continue to monitor my oil and make sure I'm not still losing it. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
              X