Are ATX ECU's same as MTX ECU's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are ATX ECU's same as MTX ECU's ?

It sure looks like my mom's mazda 626's ECU went to see the man upstairs, if ECU's do that. Anyway, I've beenn able to find an ECU from a 94 ford probe 2.0L, same year and same engine as my mazda. The thing is that ECU is off a car with manual transmission, while the 626 is automatic. Haynes manual as well as the shop manual both say that there are ECU and PCM (powertrain controll module). So the big question is will the MTX ecu work on ATX car or not ?

The people who had done the tranny swap should know.
    Thanks

P.S. If some1 has a spare working ECU for 93-95 2.0L, let me know.
    '95 DSM Eclipse GST
    '96 Ford Probe GT - R.I.P.

I have and ECU for you

Hey I still have my ATX ECU for my '95 2.0 after the swap so lemme know if you want it. And I know for a fact that the ATX ecu will still work when you have a manual although the OD light or check engine light will flash. But the ECUs on both trannys are different for sure. But having an ATX with a 5-speed ECU???? hmmmm...I dont know about that, it seems risky to try. But I do have that ECU

Peace,
    Lj
    2008 Infiniti G35 Journey- Goodbye FS and hello VQ!!!
    2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Titanium #345 **SOLD**
    '95 PSE Racingmazda Turbo Prototype **SOLD**

Comment

could be wrong but i dont think the Probe ECU will work in the 626. it may physically plug in but i dont think all the pins would be correct.
      ~ PSE driver - James
      1996 Turbo'd 2.0 Zoom Zoom...
      1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

Comment

Re: I have and ECU for you

Originally posted by Ljspeed
        Hey I still have my ATX ECU for my '95 2.0 after the swap so lemme know if you want it. And I know for a fact that the ATX ecu will still work when you have a manual although the OD light or check engine light will flash. But the ECUs on both trannys are different for sure. But having an ATX with a 5-speed ECU???? hmmmm...I dont know about that, it seems risky to try. But I do have that ECU

Peace,
        Lj
        MTX puter in an ATX car wouldn't work. there's nothing there to control the ATX tranny in a MTX CPU. but i'm sure you know that.
        ~ PSE driver - James
        1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

Comment

Yeah I knew that but let me restate in a much better way on what I said to IL-96 DONT PUT THAT MTX ECU IN YOUR ATX!<---thats better Hmmmm...and thats true itll probably plug in the 626 but I dunno...I need to wait till home to bust out all the manuals to verify that

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still waiting to hear from Mazda service department where the car is now being checked. If it turns out that i do need the ECU, I'll let you know for sure.
            626 and MX6 are same as probe as far as engine management goes, why wouldn't the computer off Probe work on 626 ?
            '95 DSM Eclipse GST

Comment

You know what IL, try verifying with the Mazda service dept and see if those ECU's are compatible. I mean yeah everything is basically the same and if it is you can have this ECU. Cause I know a brand new ECU at Mazda is gonna kick you in the ass money wise. So let us know what happens

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by PSE driver
                could be wrong but i dont think the Probe ECU will work in the 626. it may physically plug in but i dont think all the pins would be correct.
                i should be getting my ecu from Bill by next
                week. it's from a probe and i have a 626. the only
                specifics that should have any bearing on compatibility
                would be obdI or obdII. the ecu should control the same
                thing on either. i could be wrong, but i hope not. i'll let you know when i get it next week and have it installed.

Comment

Originally posted by reppin626

i should be getting my ecu from Bill by next
                  week. it's from a probe and i have a 626. the only
                  specifics that should have any bearing on compatibility
                  would be obdI or obdII. the ecu should control the same
                  thing on either. i could be wrong, but i hope not. i'll let you know when i get it next week and have it installed.
                  i'm real curious to know if it will work...

i know you've been looking for an ECU for awhile now. hope it does work for ya!
                  ~ PSE driver - James
                  1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

Comment

Well we took it to the dealer and they replaced a guess what ... HORN + HORN FUSE. Anyway it's working now, but the tranny doesn't shift right. How much do you want for the ECU ? (PM or E-mail me)
                    '95 DSM Eclipse GST

Comment

Originally posted by PSE driver

i'm real curious to know if it will work...

i know you've been looking for an ECU for awhile now. hope it does work for ya!

houston we have lift off.....yes the ecu works unless there is some minor detail/s i have yet to run across. anyway, no more blinky o/d lighty....i'd about had it with the f**^#%@ thing. i think that when i look outta the corner of my eye i can still see it blinking. however i do have some other issues that will be brought up under another thread....latah yo!

Comment

Originally posted by reppin626

houston we have lift off.....yes the ecu works unless there is some minor detail/s i have yet to run across. anyway, no more blinky o/d lighty....i'd about had it with the f**^#%@ thing. i think that when i look outta the corner of my eye i can still see it blinking. however i do have some other issues that will be brought up under another thread....latah yo!
                        that's awesome! i prolly would have bet money it wouldn't have worked!
                        ~ PSE driver - James
                        1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

Comment

It's WORKY !

Good news here as well. LJ sent me his ECU off '95 ATX Probe SE, and I put it in '94 ATX Mazda 626 today, and drove it around for over an hour and it workes fine. I didn't notice any weird stuff with the tranny either. Many thanks to all of you for your valuable input, and JL, it was nice doing business with you, no B/S, fast shipping, working unit .
                          '95 DSM Eclipse GST

Comment

Re: It's WORKY !

Originally posted by IL-96
                            and JL, it was nice doing business with you, no B/S, fast shipping, working unit .
                            couldn't have said it better.
                            ~ PSE driver - James
                            1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

Comment

No problem

Hey your welcome Ilya...Im glad everything worked out fine

Comment

Working...
                              X