Rear drum brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BePro
    I'd stay away from the Autozone brand parts in the future, I stopped shopping AZ about a year ago after getting fed up with the idiots that worked there, and the parts that never fit, or were completly not correct.

I don't have drums, but the shoes, if the job is being done correctly, should fit and not require any modification, unless they are so badly made (aka AZ) that they don't fit properly. You might try a more reputable brand.

BTW, I'd convert to disk brakes if it were mine car (I hate drums).
    know anywhere i could get the 2nd gen GT rear suspension with the disk brakes? i might just go through ford if need be
    1995 Ford Probe 2.0
    2007 Mustang GT rims wrapped in Fuzion ZRI's
    Future: Tint,CAI,Exhaust,auto to man swap them turbo

Comment

the size of the drum diameter is cast on the outside of the brake drum in the center by the hub...#1: you should lube the brake backing plate with high temp grease at four to six spots under the steel brake shoe frames so when everything is assembled (shoes, springs, shoe hold-down springs etc.) and you grab the two brake shoes and force the shoes a little bit they should move side to side. the self-adjuster mechanism that is installed between the two shoes (just below the wheel cylinders) should be adjusted with a screwdriver (all the way in if necessary to get the drum back on)...the adjuster when adjusted in retarcts the brake shoes.all the way adjusted in there will be no threads visible...#2: if the parking brake cable is rusted so bad that the cable inside the casing wont move then the brake shoes will probably be too far apart to get the drum on ... #3: then you must either replace the rear parking brake cable or free the cable up with penetrating oil (usually doesnt work)..once the parking brake cable is freed up and the two shoes will slide on the backing plate then you will get the drum on (once the adjuster assembly threads are turned in far enough)
      Last edited by neilh2o; January 30, 2008, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by neilh2o
        the size of the drum diameter is cast on the outside of the brake drum in the center by the hub...#1: you should lube the brake backing plate with high temp grease at four to six spots under the steel brake shoe frames so when everything is assembled (shoes, springs, shoe hold-down springs etc.) and you grab the two brake shoes and force the shoes a little bit they should move side to side. the self-adjuster mechanism that is installed between the two shoes (just below the wheel cylinders) should be adjusted with a screwdriver (all the way in if necessary to get the drum back on)...the adjuster when adjusted in retarcts the brake shoes.all the way adjusted in there will be no threads visible...#2: if the parking brake cable is rusted so bad that the cable inside the casing wont move then the brake shoes will probably be too far apart to get the drum on ... #3: then you must either replace the rear parking brake cable or free the cable up with penetrating oil (usually doesnt work)..once the parking brake cable is freed up and the two shoes will slide on the backing plate then you will get the drum on (once the adjuster assembly threads are turned in far enough)
        here is the step by step process of what i did,
        1. Disassembled the brake system
        2. Cleaned every part of the drum brake system with solvent cleaner since everything was greasy from the leaking wheel cylinder
        3. Installed the new wheel cylinder
        4. Put everything back together with the new shoes
        5. Went to put the drum back on and it wouldn't fit
        6. Back off the self adjuster all the way
        7. Attempted to put the drum back on
        8. Squeezed the shoes together
        9. Attempted to put the drum back on
        10. Rechecked everything to make sure that it was on right
        11. Used a large but narrow C clamp to squeeze the shoes together more than I could possibly do
        12 Didn't work
        13. Said *** this and went outside and smoked a C and returned the shoes to Autozone and got my $30 back

thats how it went down
        1995 Ford Probe 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by KFCFTL
          know anywhere i could get the 2nd gen GT rear suspension with the disk brakes? i might just go through ford if need be
          Your best bet is the yards. Ford hardly carries any of our parts anymore. If you want new parts, then Mazda is one source for OEM, there are some aftermarket as well, but new parts is $$$$.

I found this on PT, all you ever wanted to know about the conversion:

http://www.angelfire.com/la/dreamer/pobase.html

You'll have to bleed the brake system after, and when getting calipers, stay away from the early 2nd Gen ones (Particularly 1993s) as they might be frozen.
          My new Ride

Comment

you might check the drum itself. i dont know why it wouldnt go on but, it maybe out of round or something related to that. did you tray both sides or just one?
            1993 Probe SE, CAI, STS, GT catback exhaust, NKG plugs and wires, chrome Mazda Valve cover, Brembo slotted rotors w/ carbon fiber pads.

Comment

I put all new brakes front and rear on a 95 I bought for my daughter. I had no problems with the rear drums but I did put new drums on. I think they asked me what size drums it had, there might be 2 different size drums. You didn't get the wrong size shoes did you. I have had to open the bleeder screw on some brakes I've done to relieve to pressure so you can push the plungers in on the brake cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by jhaf11
                I put all new brakes front and rear on a 95 I bought for my daughter. I had no problems with the rear drums but I did put new drums on. I think they asked me what size drums it had, there might be 2 different size drums. You didn't get the wrong size shoes did you. I have had to open the bleeder screw on some brakes I've done to relieve to pressure so you can push the plungers in on the brake cylinder.
                i just took it to a "trained" mechanic, he said when using duralast rear brake shoes sometimes the shoe will not get pressed on right or formed right so you have to sand the shoe down, he did my brakes with carquest brakes and they work GREAT!
                1995 Ford Probe 2.0

Comment

By the by...

You don't need to replace the entire rear suspension to convert to disc,it was an option. Ford DID stop selling the conversion kits,though. All you need are the directly related parts. (rotor,caliper,backing plate,E-brake cable assembly,etc). Also,the tire rack sells good brake shoes to match the front perf ones. Goodridge hose kits for rear drum systems as well.

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

I was messing with my drums an I don'thave no adjuster . nnothing near the lil dumber plug in the back tomove to adjust the shoes
                    Ford probe4banger
                    Vw gti
                    Kawi zx6e

Comment

Found out how to do it. Its like a flap adjuster
                      Ford probe4banger
                      Vw gti
                      Kawi zx6e

Comment

Working...
                      X