Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old February 2nd, 2018, 09:34 PM   #1
stoker100
Donating Member

retarding cam timing with larger idler pulley

Myself and a friend both have ZE's with shaved heads (of an unknown amount) and manual timing belt tensioners (which are pretty much maxed out). We also both have DE like low down torque and uninspiring power up top. Im currently replacing my water pump at the moment and to correct the timing its just another bolt and a little time using a larger diameter front tensioner pulley.

The plan is to fit a bigger tensioner to retard the timing "roughly" back to stock, sure it wont help with the rear bank (as much) but its worth a try. Ill be using the very unscientific method of releasing the tensioner, slipping in a known thickness sleeve between the belt and tensioner and then tightening it up to determine the new pulley diameter. Both the crank and a cam will have a degree wheel to see the effect of the sleeve on timing, looking for approx 3deg minimum to 5deg maximum.

Is this a crazy idea? Is there a better suggestion? fire away

Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stoker100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 04:01 AM   #2
Brizzy
Turbo Member

Adjustable cam gears.

They are pretty hard to find though.

M62 In Progress...
Brizzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Mike 99
Donating Member

Head gasket shims are another option, but would require knowing/estimating how much the heads were shaved. And removing the heads of course.
Mike 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:33 AM   #4
stoker100
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy View Post
Adjustable cam gears.

They are pretty hard to find though.
Why spend $$$$ if it works with a larger pulley? Ive looked for abour 3 years now for the cam gears and cant find them.

Head gasket shims are even more work and as you say you need to know how much was taken off.

Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc.

Last edited by stoker100; February 3rd, 2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Mike 99
Donating Member

Thought about re-indexing a stock set of gears by cutting new slots in the center? Not sure if this is a possibility, but free is always good if it can work. Level of measuring and thinking effort - High. Cost and physical effort - Low.
Mike 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:31 PM   #6
stoker100
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 99 View Post
Thought about re-indexing a stock set of gears by cutting new slots in the center? Not sure if this is a possibility, but free is always good if it can work. Level of measuring and thinking effort - High. Cost and physical effort - Low.
yes i have thought about doing that, not sure how to go about it to get the precision required and still more effort then what im trying to do (pulley should be <$30 and requires no custom work hopefully).

Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Whitefinish
Supercharged Member

Can't you still get them at cfk in the UK? (pullies)

KLZE highcompression, Pippercros Viper intake, kl31cams, MS1 v3, Aasco fly, CM st3 clutch, cai, ss headers, ground wirekit, srd bushings, msd window switches, nitrous
Whitefinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:45 PM   #8
stoker100
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefinish View Post
Can't you still get them at cfk in the UK? (pullies)
Do you mean CDF racing? pretty sure its listed on the site but when i checked they didn't make them anymore (i may be wrong as this was a while ago).

Old February 3rd, 2018, 02:06 PM   #9
P1P
Turbo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoker100 View Post
Do you mean CDF racing? pretty sure its listed on the site but when i checked they didn't make them anymore (i may be wrong as this was a while ago).

discontinued
P1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:39 PM   #10
stoker100
Donating Member

anyone have any comments on the original post idea instead of alternative options?

Old February 4th, 2018, 04:31 PM   #11
projectB10
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoker100 View Post
anyone have any comments on the original post idea instead of alternative options?
http://www.cdfracing.co.uk/product_i...roducts_id=599

The CDF web page holds a listing for Mazda KL series cam pulleys but the price is...... 160.00 pounds!!!!
Eunos Presso HI-XS Special Edition, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , walbro 255,short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI,Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
projectB10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #12
stoker100
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectB10 View Post
http://www.cdfracing.co.uk/product_i...roducts_id=599

The CDF web page holds a listing for Mazda KL series cam pulleys but the price is...... 160.00 pounds!!!!
You havent been reading the posts have you?

Old February 4th, 2018, 05:55 PM   #13
mac1
Probe has-been

So many shaved head threads asking how to fix the after effects. It’s like nobody thinks ahead anymore. I’ve never shaved or had the need back when I was active.

2014 Factory Five 818s EJ255t
Not worthy enough to own a Probe anymore
mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 06:25 PM   #14
stoker100
Donating Member

My head was slightly warped so it had to be shaved, i immediately thought about the timing but didnt have the time back then to address the issue which is why im looking at it now. Better late than never right.

Old February 5th, 2018, 09:24 AM   #15
mac1
Probe has-been

There’s a service limit like .004”
The one time I threw a head away from warping was the time I put MS on my daily on a 300 mile trip and attempting to get “world record” mpg. I leaned it out until it started to shake and blew a geyser !! After pulling the spark plug out , I got my compression tester hose seized in the head from it contracting on cool down.

2014 Factory Five 818s EJ255t
Not worthy enough to own a Probe anymore
mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #16
BLUEnoEQ

This site needs a section for stories like this. Not kill stories, more like a WTH happened.

BLUEnoEQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 02:43 PM   #17
stoker100
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
This site needs a section for stories like this. Not kill stories, more like a WTH happened.
This is 100% happening, pulley is off and i have measured up the size required to retard the cam timing the desired amount. Should be back together and running in 2-3 weeks. This has been done before with an adjustable pulley and good results.

Old February 5th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #18
BLUEnoEQ

I think something was misunderstood. I just meant I was entertained by mac1's story and there should be a section for that. Not doubting you one bit stoker100.

Old February 5th, 2018, 05:56 PM   #19
xrp861
Supercharged Member

Never used the manual tb tensioner but couldn't you use a longer bolt and remove the slack there? Maybe a cam bolt of some sort on the idler to remove the slack?
[96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]
xrp861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:10 PM   #20
stoker100
Donating Member

Np BLUEnoEQ, sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrp861 View Post
Never used the manual tb tensioner but couldn't you use a longer bolt and remove the slack there? Maybe a cam bolt of some sort on the idler to remove the slack?
The tensioner does not effect the timing, i only mentioned it because you can see the tensioner is almost at its limits after shaving the head. Im taking about the pulley on the other side behind the dipstick.

Old February 6th, 2018, 07:58 AM   #21
xrp861
Supercharged Member

Hmmm....sounds like my cam olt idea would work...or both the idler are same diameter so you can maybe split the diff between them and tighten it up. Could also make new alignment spots upon cam install so they're in the correct spot. Would work like adjustable cam gears...just way more of a pita. Idk if it was me I'd make the shop who milled them but me new ones for butchering the job and not using a spec sheet to know where you stand.
[96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]
xrp861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #22
BLUEnoEQ

NP. Don't the heads have a spot that tells you how much meat there is to shave? It looks like a recessed circle. There was a 4G63 video I saw a while back where the guy pointed it out and then I saw it on one of my heads. I'm not confident in the adjustment or shimming of spinny parts.

What about welding in the cam pin slot on the timing pulley and then drilling out a new hole forward or aft where you want it on each pulley? Edit: OR enlarge the cam pulley slot in the direction you want to go and sleeve the cam pin itself to remove any slop.

Last edited by BLUEnoEQ; February 6th, 2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old February 7th, 2018, 06:02 AM   #23
Level 9

I would maybe consider the cdf pulleys if they are still available. That way you had them and if there were a time down the road something came up to where you wish you had them and they are no longer available. Might be an easier job and it says they are a little lighter which will reduce rotational power loss (who knows how much our even noticeable) but definitely something I myself would consider. 160# I believe it's around $200 then it would be good to go.

Although some of the other ideas on here sounds like they should work as well so you have a little to think about.
Level 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #24
stoker100
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level 9 View Post
I would maybe consider the cdf pulleys if they are still available.
You havent been reading the posts have you?

Old February 7th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #25
Level 9

If it were my car I'm just giving the direction I would go personally. Or as was mentioned above I would go back to the shop that did not supply you with a spec sheet. If anything was on any paperwork it should at the very least show what was milled off. Make them figure out the timing correction since they did not give you a direct number to work with.

Just my .02
Level 9 is offline   Reply With Quote