What causes axle chatter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes axle chatter??

Just replaced my axles a couple months ago and since the after market replacements I have this annoying chatter when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear (94 MTX). I just rebuilt my Raxles and Im planning on re-installing then since they did not have any chatter before. Just curious though on what causes chatter? Thx.

Do you mean wheel hop or a vibration? How's your roll bar, any broken strut springs? I replaced my axles and got a vibration, I think my lower control arm is bad on the driver's side. Any issue with the brakes or wheel bearings?
    Probe out for Harambe
    94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

I've read that the aftermarket clips are a different size and will cause chattering. I have the same chatter mainly under hard acceleration. I have considered pulling the axlesame and swapping the clips as I still have the ones that came out....original I don't know
      93 PGT CAI, Egay headers, high flow cat. 2.5 mandrel bent with Borla, Yonaka coilovers,19mm rear bar,CM 12lb fly and stage 2 clutch

She tends to argue with me daily...yep it's a Probe

Comment

Like 93lazerpgt says under hard acceleration the hop or chatter occurs.

I recently replaced the control arms and struts but that was back in December before I changed the axles. It rode smooth then. I changed the wheel bearings when I did the axles so its not the bearings. Brakes no issues.

I did order some Mazda c-clips for when I do change the axles back.

Comment

Is it possible that the axle you put in is defective? Happened to me a few years back -- bought a new axle and it was binding and making noise. Put in a different axle and all was fine.
          95 Probe GT -- 24 Hours of LeMons race car!
          Our teams Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Comment

I guess a bad axle is a possibility.

Comment

Well I changed my Autozone 'chattering' axle with one I rebuilt myself, and I noticed two things:

1) Autozone c-clip material diameter was much less than Mazda OEM

2) Autozone overall axle weight was much less than the axle I rebuilt (Raxle).

So I suspect one or both of these causes the chatter. I'm thinking the light weight of the Axle was the culprit?

Comment

I have had terrible luck with aftermarket axles on several vehicles I have owned. 2005 Mazda 6, I used Cardone axles from Advance and it shook horribly on acceleration. On my 2007 Mercury Milan, they did not fit tightly enough in the spindle and caused a pop when going from reverse to drive. It's a crap shoot apparently.

Shaking or vibration under hard acceleration indicates an axle problem. Out of balance, poor fitment etc.
                1991 Ford Probe GT: Walbro 255HP,TKT T3/T04 .50 GN wheel, External Tial 38mm, .020 over, total seal rings, p&p, FMIC 28X7X3 core,440cc injectors

1996 Ford Probe GT: KLZE ATX daily driver

Comment

Well kudos for Autozone giving me a full refund without any hassle.

Just wish I didn't have to waste a day to remove and replace (again).

Comment

A day? I can pull and replace an axle in a couple hours at this point, if that.. I should time it next time I have to do one. XD

There are two different types of axles for the PGT, one that says it works with both ATX and MTX (but will vibrate in an MTX) and one that specifically is set up for the manual. I got new ones from OReilly's and haven't had any issue with them, but I checked in store that the transmission side was cylindrical, rather than having indentations.
                    '91 LX ATX: stock(ish), barn restoration R.I.P.
                    '95 GT MTX: modded intake and exhaust, front strut bar, mirror-tinted rear windows, leather, sun roof. Way too much fun to drive! summer DD/play car
                    '99 Subaru Outback Ltd MTX: Stuff hauler, winter DD
                    '92 GL MTX SOLD.

Comment

Well, when you get old you can't do things as fast as you could when you were younger.

The Autozone was the Birfield (ball and cage) axle vs the tri-pod design so it was the correct design for the manual tranny. Took me awhile to find the Birfield type because most places did not know what it was and tried to sell me the tri-pod saying it was the same thing. It's not. Either way, car now runs great now with no axle chatter.

Comment

Working...
                      X