Speedo problems/mileage problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo problems/mileage problems

Ok, i have been running a 4.66 final gear for about a year now and am wondering a couple of things. It really never occured to me, for whatever reason, that with this gearing my speedo would be off...Now i am talking about my 96 PGT, so i believe the stock final is 4.29 or so...

Here are my questions:

1. How far off do you think my speedo is? I was thinking 7mph high or so..

2. Is there anything i can have done to recalibrate it, so that the speed is true? Other than take out the final gear..

thx
    John
    John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
    '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
    '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
    '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Stock final drive ratio is 4.388. If you swapped to a 4.66 final drive, then your speedometer will read ~6% faster than you're going. Different tooth-count gears are available for the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) driven gear; you'll need to replace the existing gear with one that has one or two teeth (6%) more than the current gear.
    KevinD
    1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

Cool, any other alternatives? And where might i be able to get a hold of a new VSS gear?
      '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
      '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

Comment

The gears are usually available through Ford. I believe theyre all the same, Id look into what gear the 2.0's have. Other than that call your local Ford parts dept.
        '94 PGT Sold.
        '93 5.0 Ranger XLT

FS: '93-'97 new rear brake kit; 93-95 V6 WP gasket

Comment

Cool, will do..

Comment

There'll be a small number moulded onto the gear (like 17): that's the number of teeth.
            KevinD
            1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

How mayn are on the one that is in there now?? I would look but it is at home..And so what kind of car might have the number of teeth needed? Also are these parts interchangable, so i would be able to find a gear with the proper number of teeth and then pop it right in?
              Last edited by JKpgt96; September 28, 2005, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I haven't looked at mine, so I can't say how big the stock gear is, and Ford may or may not be able to tell (it should be listed with the part number). If you go to Ford just ask for a gear with one or two more teeth than the stock gear, and it'll replace the existing gear (it's held onto the end of the VSS with a clip).
                KevinD

Comment

OK, i will see what i can come up with and let everyone know. Thanks for all the input.

John

Comment

Working...
                  X