Headlight assembly conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight assembly conversion?

I've been having issues with my headlights not wanting to open properly. I turn them on and the lights illuminate, but occasionally it takes a minute or 2 for the headlights to pop up. Replaced the motors, no difference. Electrical connections all seem solid. Fuses are good. Rather than dump more time/effort/money into diagnosing/repairing/replacing them or leaving the lights in the "open" position all the time, I've been thinking of going to a fixed headlight with HID or LED projectors, but can't seem to find anything that looks like a good conversion for Probes. Something like this is what I'm after:

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...ir_p_7758.html

I know Probe Addiction had something similar, but they're defunct now, and I heard their conversion didn't perform all that great anyways. Ideas or suggestions?

Wasn't there a thread on converting to Toyota Celica headlights around here. Try and look it up. It didn't look like an easy conversion.
    Probe out for Harambe
    94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
      Wasn't there a thread on converting to Toyota Celica headlights around here. Try and look it up. It didn't look like an easy conversion.
      yeah the Celica headlights look sick on probes, and I'd love to do the conversion, but really don't have the time or means to do all that fabrication. Looking more for something that's a drop-in solution.

Comment

These were from a bulk buy long ago on PT. They use 90mm Hella projectors. There were very few sets made so if you ever find a set for sale then jump on them no matter what the price.

The Probeaddiction housings were made of plastic and would sag over time. They also used small fog lights so the quality of light output was pretty bad.

Beyond that you have the more commonly done 300zx "style" headlight mod. This would be the lowest cost option but it does require fabrication. The ones I have seen personally with this conversion done also suffered from poor light output due to them using fog lights for headlights.

The other conversions I have seen on a probe were all one offs. They all required a great deal of fabrication.
        1993 Probe GT
        2003 Bagged Chevy S10

Comment

I'd recently read an article about a factory Lamborghini using the 300zx housing. Don't quote me on the model or year, but I thought a trip thru some junkyards might be in order to scavenge a set out of a 300zx.

Comment

Originally posted by RACERSNUT View Post
            I'd recently read an article about a factory Lamborghini using the 300zx housing. Don't quote me on the model or year, but I thought a trip thru some junkyards might be in order to scavenge a set out of a 300zx.
            I believe it was the Diablo. Something about needing to use them for the US cars to meet a certain requirement in a short time frame.
            '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
            '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Not Corvette-ish but here's a tasteful conversion.

My 93GT, Wendy - the oldest second gen Probe in the U.S. still on the road.

Forever in search of Enkei Shoguns.

Comment

Working...
              X