Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My cure for the far too common low oil pressure gauge reading problem

Originally posted by Fastest95PGT
    I would NOT suggest that on an engine with 460km on it. Just like going synthetic after A LOT of miles. It can loosen up things that are keeping your engine from burning / leaking oil.
    Or you'll loosen up alot of crap that won't fully dissolve, and it plugs up oil passages, which leads to collapsed HLA's (Do HLA's collapse like lifters? Whatever) or melted bearings.
    Been there, done that .
    Anyway, we're .
    KevinD
    1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

Good idea there checking the electircal on the guages. I'm actually looking at buying another '97 PGT and that is one of the things I am concerned about is a low oil gauge reading. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver_Bullit
        Actually if somebody wanted to eliminate alot of possible electrical problems with a Probe, they should cut all of the black tape off of the harness and solder all of the conections.

There is a connection on the PGT where 3 red wires (1993 PGT MTX) come together right at the "Y" in the wiring harness that goes to the fuel rails and the disty. The 3 red wires are touching each other and there is a large blob of glue holding them together.

That blob of glue is a splice and that's how every wire harness is made on every vehicle in the world. In this case that's how the disty and fuel injectors get there power. If wires had to be run individually to the fuse box for every power wire in the entire car, the box would be HUGE (and VERY expensive).
        Sari
        94 Wild Orchid PGT.
        Daily commuter with Aftermarket Exhaust and Stereo.
        200+k and still goin strong.

Comment

thx for sharing this tip...but I need some help coz im a newbe!
          if u have an illustration i will really appreciate it, or if u can make it more detailed!
          thx
          What we do in life echoes in eternity!

Comment

Originally posted by Fahrenheit
            thx for sharing this tip...but I need some help coz im a newbe!
            if u have an illustration i will really appreciate it, or if u can make it more detailed!
            thx
            I posted this pic, it's the best one I have:

http://server27.totalchoicehosting.c...suresender.jpg

The arrow points to it.
            '93 Electric Red PGT SOLD
            Sponsored By: Dunlop Tires, Acci-Dent, Extreme Parts, Street Graphix, S3 Magazine, Great Lakes Dragaway
            2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by probepimp
              I posted this pic, it's the best one I have:

http://server27.totalchoicehosting.c...suresender.jpg

The arrow points to it.

thx man it´s was very good...i will fix mine now coz i have a really low oilpressure in my probe!

take care man
              What we do in life echoes in eternity!

Comment

I just rebuilt my 03, gauge reads around A-L on normal.. Tolerences were all A-OK.. I tried cleaning the connection and gauge reads the same. I'm going to test it with a mechanical gauge this weekend to make sure its reasonable..
                1994 PGT MS2 LC-1 370cc 190lph KLZE intake ported heads Turbonetics T4 2.5" Magnaflow STS MX3 flywheel ceramic clutch, 355fwhp ** sold
                1980 Fairmont 4-door, S472, Megasquirt, 351C, 678rwhp.
                2003 Mach 1, FR500 engine, 372rwhp w/out spray.
                2003 Escape, slow.

Comment

Does This work on a 2.0

I am having the same problem that you guys are discusing, Seems to happen on every probe I have owned, so I hope this works. I am going to try this on my current 2.0 but not sure where the connection would be. If someone could post a pic of where it would be on a 2.0 I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleFromWhitby
                    well, started the car up today. I get a better reading, its more accurate, but still low. Might also be cuz there 10W30 in the car and its been sitting all winter and its also still -10 outside
                    actually, the colder your oil is, the higher the pressure will be

Comment

I found this site this morning looking for information on this very problem! I have owned my '93 PGT since new. About two weeks ago the oil preasure gauge dropped to the line. Never happened before and with 125000Mi on it I thought - this is it - done! Well its ALIVE!!! Thanks to a very simple yet genuis suggestion. Thanks ProbePimp -- you da man!
                      MP

Comment

I just did my 97, and my gauge stay exactely where it was---DEAD CENTER!

at least I tried
                        97 GT, MTX, GReddy, MX3 Flywheel, Clutchmasters Clutch, Phenolic Spacers, Bored TB, Home Depot Racing CAI, AWR Motor Mounts, Short Throw Shifter, H4 Conversion, PIAA Fogs, Tokico's/Eibachs, Probetalk Sway Bar, Beautiful FACTORY Paint!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket
                          I just did my 97, and my gauge stay exactely where it was---DEAD CENTER!

at least I tried
                          dead center isn't LOW
                          Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
                          1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

Originally posted by Fastest95PGT
                            dead center isn't LOW

No doubt, but I figured I'd like to do anything I can to get a better reading.....So i was just saying that mine didn't change......sorry for trying.

I guess I knew that was going to happen, because the 97 gauges are just an "Idiot gauge", and not an actual value. they just say NORMAL so they LOOK functional. What a joke. (sure glad I often watch those uselass gauges)
                            97 GT, MTX, GReddy, MX3 Flywheel, Clutchmasters Clutch, Phenolic Spacers, Bored TB, Home Depot Racing CAI, AWR Motor Mounts, Short Throw Shifter, H4 Conversion, PIAA Fogs, Tokico's/Eibachs, Probetalk Sway Bar, Beautiful FACTORY Paint!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket
                              No doubt, but I figured I'd like to do anything I can to get a better reading.....So i was just saying that mine didn't change......sorry for trying.
                              High oil pressure isn't a good thing either. However, regardless of it being low when you attempted or high after or anything, having an ACCURATE reading is what matters. If it was super high due to clogged passages you'd want to know and not just mask it with a dirty OPSU. So good idea to try it either way. Too bad your OPSU is a POS like every ~94+.
                              I guess I knew that was going to happen, because the 97 gauges are just an "Idiot gauge", and not an actual value. they just say NORMAL so they LOOK functional. What a joke. (sure glad I often watch those uselass gauges)
                              Yeah, I hear that.. I put in my AM analog OP guage a while ago.. I literally CUT the wire to my stock guage and it still comes up happily when the car's started. Stupid Ford..
                              Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
                              1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

Okay, so I've been wanting to do this for quite a while, but I've run into a problem. You see...I don't know how to take the thing off. It seems that this is apparent to everyone else, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I've tried pulling on the thing where the sensor wire comes in, I've tried unscrewing the aluminum (or some other soft metal) case...I've tried a bunch of things. How do I get this off in order to sand it?

Thanks,
                                Jeremiah
                                Last edited by Ki-Rin; May 9, 2004, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X