X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What You Need To Supercharge Your 2.0

Things you should know before you boost
    First off, anyone who is interested in supercharging his or her car needs to understand the rule of boost. Once you understand that you are half way to your goal.

Cheap + Reliable = Not Fast
    Fast + Cheap = Not Reliable
    Reliable + Fast = Not Cheap

Secondly you need to know that you need to be starting with a strong engine, otherwise you will not last very long. Strong doesn't necessarily mean built motor, but throwing a turbo kit boosting 12PSI on a motor with 200,000 miles on it isn't the smartest thing. Do a compression test on your motor to ensure you have good compression across all cylinders. Probably would be a good idea to decarb the motor, get out any old junk built up in your oil system as well as in your cylinders. What is nice about the FS motor is the block has oil squirters, which is something usually exclusive
    to turbo/supercharged vehicles. If you do have plan on forced inducing a stock fs block with about 100,000 miles, and good compression the max boost is still only 8-10psi

Engine Management

if you plan to add Force Induction to an NA car, the right choice is to either flash the ECU for larger injectors or get engine management, otherwise your engine reliability and longevity go down severely, the simple reason is the stock ECU was never designed to handle boost. It was programmed to see 220cc injectors, even if you change the injectors to 330cc or larger to accommodate the boost, the stock ECU will still think they are 220cc. so at idle the ECU will practically drown your engine because the ECU is sending pulse widths thinking its throwing in 220cc of fuel but its really drowning it with 330cc. with an engine management unit you can custom make your own fuel map and set it up to whatever fuel injection size you need furthermore you tune your timing as well!!!

1. Engine Management Control Unit {Cost Range = $300 - $2000}
    ___*AEM
    ___* SDS
    ___* Haltech
    ___* Motec
    ___* Accel
    ___* DFI
    ___*MegaSquirt

MegaSquirt

Megasquirt comes in many different variants. With this system you can choose to run fuel only and let the stock ecu handle spark, or Megasquirt can handle both fuel and spark, however some versions of MS will need to be modded to handle spark. The latest version is the MegaSquirt II Version 3.57 (surface Mount), It is a DIY engine management system. You can either build one yourself from parts supplied by one of MegaSquirts many distributors. Or you can buy a pre-assembled Megasquirts from one of the Bulk Buys hosted on the probetalk fourms or you can purchase an assembled one from the company that provides parts for them. Like many other Engine management control units, there are many options and and a steep learning curve, so read and re-read before you get it installed, its not hard to damage your engine with wrong settings.More information on MegaSquirt can be found on the main MegaSquirt website: http://www.megasquirt.info/ as well as the MegaSquirt discussion forums: http://www.msefi.com/

Fuel Management Unit (FMU) (fast and cheap)

An FMU is often referred to as a boost-dependant fuel pressure regulator. The FMU is essentially a variable fuel-pressure regulator that automatically raises fuel pressure as boost rises. The FMU is downstream, after the stock regulator. As boost pressure begins to rise, the FMU starts restricting the flow of the fuel returning to the gas tank. Like a garden hose, if the flow is restricted, the pressure increases. The increased restriction results in an increase of fuel pressure in the rail and the factory fuel injectors. Higher fuel rail pressure enables the fuel injectors to deliver more fuel in the same amount of time than they do at the static stock fuel pressure. The problem is there is a limit to how much extra pressure a fuel injector can handle so your limited to the amount of boost you can do, I do not recommend this option!

SPARK & TIMING & HIGHER OCTANE

Over looked to often, now that your car is getting more air and fuel forced into the chamber you are going to run into other issues, like pressure and heat, with pressure you my not have a strong enough spark to completely burn the fuel or start missing, or you will have a hot spot and begin to hear pinging (the fuel ignited before the spark happened). You will need a stronger spark, so mod for this You may have to decrease the spark gap to ensure spark. Better/cooler spark plugs, larger diameter spark plug wires, MSD blaster coil, etc.Higher octane fuel is a must because regular fuel will ignite with boost pressure or a hot spot, Higher octane fuel will only ignite with a spark, or extreme hot spots and extreme pressure, raising the octane allows the fuel to be more resistant to igniting, furthermore to avoid pinging you should retard your timing so that the spark happens sooner, with higher octane fuel the more timing you can add.

VACUUME/CHECK VAVLES/PVC VALVE

Yet another thing overlooked, many systems rely on the vacuum that the engine creates, most if not all cars manufactured NA will be design as such, so some system that rely on vacuum should never see boost, but now you are boosting, so positive pressure is going to things that should not see positive pressures, mainly under the valve cover and the charcoal canister that is link to your fuel tank, you will need to put a check valve on the charcoal canister so it does not see boost. You will also need to get a new pvc valve the best one to get comes from a Supercharged Millenia, its a direct fit http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63580!! also you may want to consider putting clamps in “loose” places so you don’t have boost leak on your vacuum lines
    Last edited by bedwards6954; February 28, 2009, 06:14 PM. Reason: new info
    Supercharged 2.0 Ford Probe CarDomain

2k4 Mazda RX-8 GT, 9000rpms anyone?

Getting Started

Things you need to do before you even install your forced induction kit are as follows.
    1. Upgrade Fuel Pump, 190 for low boost 255 for High boost
    ___* Walbro
    ___* Venom Performance

2. Upgrade Injectors
    ___* Venom Performance
    ___* RC Engineering
    ___* 88-92 Ford Probe/Mx6 Turbo
    (make sure its the one with the plug identical to that of the 2.0 2nd Gen, other wise you can modify the plugs on the car to use the square connectors, if you plan to go past 330cc, you will have to change to a square connector)

Stock fuel injector flow = 220cc @ 43.5psi fuel pressure good until 2-3psi 88-92 fordprobe/mx6 Trubo =326cc @ 43.5psi fuel pressure good until 8-10psi higher then 10psi of boost you will need 440cc the more boost the more fuel needed

3. Install Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
    ___* AEM
    ___* Weapon R
    ___* Aeromotive (This is the most common used by Probe and Mx6 owners)
    ___* MBX FPR Kit (This includes the Aeromotive AFPR and all needed lines and fittings)

4. Install a Performance clutch
    The stock clutch can’t handle the new found power with a turbo, otherwise you will start to slipping
    ___* Act
    ___* South Bend Clutch

5. Install a WIDEBAND O2 SENSOR

Once again if you want to do it right you will need one of these, the narrow band sensor only sees 14.7 accurately other then that it can only tell you that you are lean and rich, NOT how much lean or how much rich. With a wideband sensor it tells you exactly what your air to fuel ratios are all the time, so that you can tune more accurately. ___*Innovative motor sports
    ___* AEM

Supercharging your 2.0L

Here is what you will need, for a basic non-intercooled ac mounted supercharger kit, the supercharger will replaced the ac, a traditional mounted supercharger has been attempted by tomas knight, but by none other and their kit is expensive. Non intercooled is good for up to 7PSI safely, some wouldn’t recommend it at all. However plenty do run this much.

1. Blow Off Valves
    ___* Greddy (Many different variants)
    ___* A'Pexi
    ___* HKS
    ___*Blitz ___* ebay price=quality

2. Couplers
    ___* eBay couplers
    ___* Samco
    ___* Hose Techniques
    ___* Sport Hoses

3. Intake Piping

I Recommend using 2.5" mandrel bent pipe for the piping from the supercharger to the throttle body. You will need a MAF adapter if you plan to keep the MAF. It is not recommended to use the MAF between the turbo and the TB as a blow through design. You can run lower amounts of boost, but when you get into higher amounts you want something that can handle the hard blow through. Also you will need to weld the flange for the BOV, and bungs for your intake temp sensor!!

4. Supercharger

Most commonly used is the Eaton m62, found from a Mercedes bezs, this is ideal because it has an electronic clutch so you can turn it on and off, there are other superchargers that could be used but mounting position will be different for each supercharger, also superchargers usually have there own oil in them, if you are installing one you might as well change the oil, but after that you won’t have to change it for a long time, be sure you have the right amount in it!!!

5. Longer belts

Get a longer belt that runs from the crank -> power steering-> ac/supercharger, there are two different sizes that fit, one has no play, the other you have to trim a Groove off, be sure get gatorback!!!

6. Air filters

This can be mounted right to the supercharger or plumed to be away from the supercharger to get up to a 40 degrees decrease in Supercharger intake temps
    ___* K & N filter
    ___*PRM
    ___* Many Other Brands

Hope this Helps, Ddrop and Mhicks feel free to change things according to your wisdom!!
    Last edited by bedwards6954; July 7, 2008, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Nice write up! Im gonna Sticky it
      Unnaturally Aspirated and Squirted Ford Probe
      Evo16g,Hybrid Custom Manifold,P&P,3angle VJ, and Milled Head, Oliver Billet rods,Wiesco 9:1 forged pistons,Apexi AVCR, 440cc injectors,Walbro 255hp,TypeRS Bov,Atx->Mtx,2.5 DP & MES Catback,RR-Sts,CM 2-R clutch, AWR Rad & Pan,Megasquirt2pcb3, maf delete/coilpack conversion

Comment

I assume it's safe to assume all the rules apply to turbocharging as well? even if not completely necessary, they sound like good advice regardless of the forced induction method.

Comment

Thank you!!! that was the idea, but did not want to tred on nolanspawns thread

Comment

Originally posted by bedwards6954
            Higher octane fuel is a must because regular fuel will ignite with boost pressure or a hot spot, Higher octane fuel will only ignite with a spark, or extreme hot spots and extreme pressure, raising the octane allows the fuel to be more resistant to igniting, furthermore to avoid pinging you should retard your timing so that the spark happens sooner, with higher octane fuel the more timing you can add.
            I should add that to avoid pinging, one method is to retard the timing, yes, but retarding timing means the spark happens "later", not sooner. Sooner is "advancing" the timing and will lead to pinging without the proper octane fuel. This is why advanced ignition timing requires higher octane fuel.
            Matt Hicks
            Silver 97 2.0 Turbo
            Factory Green ZX6RR
            If you have 1,000 posts and have not donated to PT, you should consider doing so.
            "We're all still learning."

Comment

hi,,

i am also busy with a SC project,,,just a quick question, i heard that you can also just use the same injectors/fuel railing from a nissan 200sx (1.8 turbo) and that these are also 330cc,,and that it will be a pretty good fit.

Ow btw,,, Wicked summup!
              Reg Rob
              http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...e/c8a8236f.jpg
              -------------
              GT94 2.0 Jap FS Neon Winged Angel,Sensei 1 Front en Sides-PB Creations,R8 Leds
              Titanium Tip, PSP ,Ipod Nano , Brocks et13, ALL JBL BABY!
              Chairman Ford Probe Club Netherlands FPCN

Comment

Originally posted by Rootje View Post
                hi,,

i am also busy with a SC project,,,just a quick question, i heard that you can also just use the same injectors/fuel railing from a nissan 200sx (1.8 turbo) and that these are also 330cc,,and that it will be a pretty good fit.

Ow btw,,, Wicked summup!
                Reg Rob
                really as long as you can get it to fit in the fuel rail you good however you will need to change the plug on your cars harness, I had to do it with my -1650 they are much easeir to come by and cheaper then the old turbo probe but yeah 330cc is a good fit!!

Comment

Hey guys I'm really interested in doing this sc setup on my probe does Any one know were I can get that eaton m62 cause I looked all over the Internet and can find a single one so a lil help will send me on the right path

Comment

White96se
                    I know this is an old thread but maybe I can help other people looking for Eaton's.

I've been seeing a lot of Eaton's on Craigslist that came off of wrecked Grand Prix's and such. Also check your local U-Wrench-It/ salvage yard, they sometimes pull those before they set them in the lot so give them a call and see if they can help.
                    93 Probe "Stoner Probe" - Beaten to death, twice.

95 Probe - MAF Delete, CAI, 97 Computer, Adjustable FPR, Ported and Polished, Forged Crank, Forged Pistons..

Comment

is the only spot u can mount it is in place of da ac? can u use a bigger supershager like wuld a kennebell super charger work?
                      94 probe 4banger base..BLKOUT!! (01-01-11)
                      86 rx7 GSL stock(rebuild project never finished)-sold
                      92 galant muffler-blown, gone
                      86 jetta GLI stock-gone
                      94 mx6 LS(v6) greddy exhaust-wrecked

Comment

bump for awesomeness.

Im running the Mr.Speed kit on my Protege5. Running Bedward's 6.7" pulley, 440cc WRX injectors and a Split Second AFC (V2).

I love it!

Comment

nice write up

Comment

your post says for a basic non intercooled. what if you want an intercooler? is it possible?
                            1996 Green Chevy Cheyenne 5.0 with Ebay CAI, Cat-Back Duals, Ebay Headers

1949 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck (In Progress)

Soon to be bought, Gold 1997 PGT

Comment

Definatly possible just more piping and having to route everything different
                              73k mile 93 PGTCold Air Intake, Pacesetter Headers, Pace Setter Monza Cat back, Resonated Test Pipe, EGR and VRIS delete *SOLD*
                              1997 Gold PGT 85k miles Ebay headers, CAI
                              1998 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 5spd. Winter car

Comment

Working...
                              X